SL3 paired with Sunfire question (high volume land hiss at that volume)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seattle_jerry

Reaction score
Just picked up a pair of SL3's
I run a Sunfire Theater Grand processor III and a 200x5 Grand Cinema amp.
I get my movies via an AppleTV ran through a plasma tv using optical from the tv to the preamp

My question is this:

I need to turn up the volume pretty high (-25 to -19) to get to good audio levels

Anything above -30 and there is an audible hiss from the speaker panels, increasing with volume.

The amp has all new caps.

Is the need to turn up the volume so high a function of the neediness of the SL3's for power?

I don't recall my Linns hissing at volume with the same setup, nor did I need to go so high.

Or perhaps is it a sign of the end of life panels?

Thanks!

I'm going to suspect that your problem has more to do with the source input level or the pre-amp than with Amp / speaker combo.

If you feed an analog line-in to the preamp from a CD player, do you have to raise the volume a lot? Is there hiss with that as well?

Maybe your preamp is developing an issue, the TGP is not so new anymore.

As for the SL3's, did you vacuum them well before setup? Often small particles get lodged in the stator when transported / moved around, so it's best to vacum before first power-on.

Just picked up a pair of SL3's
I run a Sunfire Theater Grand processor III and a 200x5 Grand Cinema amp.
I get my movies via an AppleTV ran through a plasma tv using optical from the tv to the preamp

My question is this:

I need to turn up the volume pretty high (-25 to -19) to get to good audio levels

Anything above -30 and there is an audible hiss from the speaker panels, increasing with volume.

The amp has all new caps.

Is the need to turn up the volume so high a function of the neediness of the SL3's for power?

I don't recall my Linns hissing at volume with the same setup, nor did I need to go so high.

Or perhaps is it a sign of the end of life panels?

Thanks!

Can you try to run a CD player or some other source into the theater TGIII to see if you still get this? Is your TV set to max volume since you are going optical out from it?

Btw. Did you have the amp w old caps and then new? If so what - if any was the sound improvement? And where did you get it done? I have the signature version and have no problems but like to have options if I do.

Btw. Did you have the amp w old caps and then new? If so what - if any was the sound improvement? And where did you get it done? I have the signature version and have no problems but like to have options if I do.

There is a guy named Bill Flannery that used to work for Sunfire. He is in Snohomish, WA and does nothing but work on Sunfire equipment. I forget the name of his company, but if you search his name I’m sure it will pop up.

It’s been awhile but if I recall, new caps got rid of a bunch of noise.
You can open up your unit and look at the caps. They shouldn’t look swollen or bulged out on the top.

He’s not getting any younger and you are going to need it eventually.

I'm going to suspect that your problem has more to do with the source input level or the pre-amp than with Amp / speaker combo.

If you feed an analog line-in to the preamp from a CD player, do you have to raise the volume a lot? Is there hiss with that as well?

Maybe your preamp is developing an issue, the TGP is not so new anymore.

As for the SL3's, did you vacuum them well before setup? Often small particles get lodged in the stator when transported / moved around, so it's best to vacum before first power-on.

Yes I vacuumed before firing them up. I'll try a different source tonight. I'll have to dig up my cd player and a cd.

My whole system is fairly old...but you get a lot more for your money when you buy nice older equipment

Thanks!

There is a guy named Bill Flannery that used to work for Sunfire. He is in Snohomish, WA and does nothing but work on Sunfire equipment. I forget the name of his company, but if you search his name I’m sure it will pop up.

It’s been awhile but if I recall, new caps got rid of a bunch of noise.
You can open up your unit and look at the caps. They shouldn’t look swollen or bulged out on the top.

He’s not getting any younger and you are going to need it eventually.

Thanks Seattle Jerry !

Update:

Hooked my iPhone to the CD RCA jacks...same issue

Pulled my CD player out of storage and the CDs play at a more reasonable volume (-45 to -35)

So I guess it is a gain issue from the source vs amps/speakers/preamp

Now I just need to figure out how to make my AppleTV play louder.

It wasn't a problem with my smaller Linn speakers hmmmmm

@seattle_jerry, first, thanks for the reminder of the name of the gentleman who repairs Sunfires, I have two Cinema Grands (one Sig, one normal) from the early 2000's that probably are getting due for a re-cap. I'll see about sending those in in the next few months.

Re your tests, it looks like the Optical feed coming from the TV is either A) very low level or B) is actually being affected by the TV volume control, push the TV volume all the way and see if there is a difference, and double check the TV settings for that output.

Secondly, your TGP supports balanced outputs, which typically have a higher output level than RCA line level, so try cabling the TGP to the CG using Balanced Interconnects. Any low-cost IC will do, but if you want nice quality connectors and good quality cable, the Blue Jeans Cable Balanced are what I use, and I have a ton (well about 50 or so) of them in my system.

@seattle_jerry, first, thanks for the reminder of the name of the gentleman who repairs Sunfires, I have two Cinema Grands (one Sig, one normal) from the early 2000's that probably are getting due for a re-cap. I'll see about sending those in in the next few months.

Re your tests, it looks like the Optical feed coming from the TV is either A) very low level or B) is actually being affected by the TV volume control, push the TV volume all the way and see if there is a difference, and double check the TV settings for that output.

Secondly, your TGP supports balanced outputs, which typically have a higher output level than RCA line level, so try cabling the TGP to the CG using Balanced Interconnects. Any low-cost IC will do, but if you want nice quality connectors and good quality cable, the Blue Jeans Cable Balanced are what I use, and I have a ton (well about 50 or so) of them in my system.

Thanks,

The TV volume is inaccessible if I turn the tv speakers off.
Yes theres a good chance the optical output is low. Too bad Apple got rid of that. I'm going to try my old appletv with optical out directly to the preamp and see if that helps.

The downside to old electronics is not having the latest connection options

So what are indications from a sound perspective that caps are going bad?

As 'Jonathan' wrote, it's most likely a 'gain structure' problem. Bad or old capacitors are related to hum or lack of bass problems, not about hiss.

Back