SL3 for Super small Room! Possible?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

pang_tung

Hi all,

I am new here from Hong Kong(next to China). And the living envoirnment in Hong Kong is very very small.
At the meanwhile, I am finding a Floor Standing for my new apartment and someone is willing to sell me the SL3 in a good price (US$620 -- I am not sure it's reasonable or not as which is not propular in Hong Kong).
I had serach SL3's information in the internet for few days and found none of user is using SL3 in such small small room. My living room is just 6'W x 8'9" D x 3'H.. . . . . . Can anyone tell me is that possible to place SL3 in my small living room?

Thanks all!

Tung

they will work but I hope your celing hight is higher than 3ft, are your measurements in feet or meters ? if not they wont even fit in the room!at 3 ft

Hi there,

They sure will work (as long as they fit in the room!) but I'd try to hear them in the room first. They certainly won't sound their optimal, and you may find other speakers are more suited to that environment (ie. suffer less degradation). Then again, you may find the 'logans so superior that any even with their bigger degradation they still sound better than anything else!

:D . . . . ... . Opps!
I made a funny mistakes. . . . . . Sorry! How can a guy living in a 3' height room. . . . . . Never Stand-Up. . .. HAHA :p

celing hight is 10'. . . . . . it should be 6'W x 8'9" D x 10'H.

The sound will be affected by placing in such small room? (AS I know, SL3 should place 3' fom the front wall, but I am sure I can't do that in my room. . . . . . max. 1' from the wall)

Also, I found some user said If it place close to the wall, I can use "Flat" & "-3db" to make it better. Is that correct? and What is the meaning of those function??

Thanks again!

Tung

The room sounds small, what you will experience is called "near field" listening. It's like being in first row all the time or on stage with the band.

I'm wondering if one of the home theater speakers which can be wall mounted might not be a better set up for you. I have no experience with these speakers myself.

On the positive side, you probably will not need a very powerful amp.:)

First of all $630 for SL3s is a steal (as long as they are in good shape of course). BUT, the room is too small. You would be better off with a much smaller speaker. Also since this room is so small your listening position should be directly against a wall. This will give you a more even bass response and cut down early 1st order reflections.

socialxray said:
First of all $630 for SL3s is a steal (as long as they are in good shape of course). BUT, the room is too small. You would be better off with a much smaller speaker. Also since this room is so small your listening position should be directly against a wall. This will give you a more even bass response and cut down early 1st order reflections.
How about if he hung them from the ceiling (ala Robin) and laid on the floor?:D

that is funny as hell , I thought of the same thing as his dimensions are better suited to that , man Im still laughing at the thought of lying down and listening and looking UP at them , LOL :D (I know it has been done for surrounds but not mains) :D :D

Way too small of a room for these speakers. They are supposed to be three feet from the front wall putting them in your lap.

kach22i said:
How about if he hung them from the ceiling (ala Robin) and laid on the floor?:D

I think that is a great idea. Change the room into a bedroom. Then you can listen in bed!

Thx all for the only solution for my living room. :eek:
In fact, I just found someone is selling Martin Logan Aerius i and asking USD$900 ( much more than the SL3--USD$620).
But I found that the Aerius i is a smaller speakers which are perfect for my room.
In fact, Is there a great different between them? :confused:

THX all again & again!

pang_tung said:
In fact, I just found someone is selling Martin Logan Aerius i and asking USD$900 ( much more than the SL3--USD$620).
But I found that the Aerius i is a smaller speakers which are perfect for my room.

THX all again & again!
Hola Pang Tung. Yes, to my ears the SL-3 is better than the Aerius because it has about 30% more stat panel, and the woofers are 10", giving more bass extension. If you could set an Aerius in your room, you could do the same with the SL-3. Because of the price, it looks that you might have to repair them, becasue the SL-3 (and one of my ML favorite model) are more expensive than the Aerius. Try to listen them first...hope this can help, happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Did we mention that Stax electrostatic headphones were another option. ;)

Just teasing, good luck with your system - feel free to ask set-up questions once you have played around a little with placement.

pang_tung said:

THX all again & again!
Pang Tung-I listen to SL3s in my bedroom.The room is about 10x10x8.5.
I can say from experience that they sound great in the room.Best results using tubes on the panels and SS on the bass,but right now I am using a 65 watt class A SS amp-but with vdh Revelation cables to connect the biwiring speaker posts-you need quality cable to do that!!!The speakers should be as far as possible from the back wall.Aim for the law of thirds in placing them.
The price may reflect a problem-so-check them out.Also,the humid weather in HK may be affecting their sound.Vacuum the panels at least once a month.

Raanan

I have been waiting on one of my fellow ML lovers to get to the heart of the matter here and ask the question of all questions to solve pang tung's problem. I will say that I am slightly disappointed that this question has not been asked up until this point as it should be the deciding factor with such a small room. Does anyone here remember that fellow who came up with the therory of relativity? Duh!!!

How tall are you pang tung? :eek:

MarkNewbie said:
I have been waiting on one of my fellow ML lovers to get to the heart of the matter here and ask the question of all questions to solve pang tung's problem. I will say that I am slightly disappointed that this question has not been asked up until this point as it should be the deciding factor with such a small room. Does anyone here remember that fellow who came up with the therory of relativity? Duh!!!

How tall are you pang tung? :eek:

There is a correction/clarification which you may of missed MarkNewbie.

pang_tung said in his second post....................
celing hight is 10'. . . . . . it should be 6'W x 8'9" D x 10'H.

Sorry all that I made a stupid mistake in my first post. :p
Finally, I think I will take SL3 because of $$ with its performance.
As the owner said the speakers had already used for over 10 years and the electrostatic element maybe got 'Old" already. The sound came out(response) would be slightly "slow". Is that turth?

Dear All Martin Logan user,
Normally, What is the life-long of SL3? :confused:
Also, I can check the speakers before buy. How to check the SL3 to make sure it's working perfectly? Any other detail I should take care?

Thanks ALL! :cool:

And 1 more Martin Logan user will be in the world very soon.

Tung

pang_tung said:
Sorry all that I made a stupid mistake in my first post. :p
Finally, I think I will take SL3 because of $$ with its performance.
As the owner said the speakers had already used for over 10 years and the electrostatic element maybe got 'Old" already. The sound came out(response) would be slightly "slow". Is that turth?

Dear All Martin Logan user,
Normally, What is the life-long of SL3? :confused:
Also, I can check the speakers before buy. How to check the SL3 to make sure it's working perfectly? Any other detail I should take care?

Thanks ALL! :cool:

And 1 more Martin Logan user will be in the world very soon.

Tung

Tung,New panels for the SL3s can be had for 3-500$.It would probably be a good idea to install new panels.These are great speakers,and they will sound better,in my experience in a small room.Best results with a tube amp,or at least a tube preamp.Welcome to the club of happy owners.
Raanan

kach22i said:
There is a correction/clarification which you may of missed MarkNewbie.

pang_tung said in his second post....................

Ok, please re-read my post. It was a joke. I was not asking about the room's dimensions, I was asking pang tung about his dimensions. I'll stick to my day job and leave the comedy up to the professionals.

Hi all,

MarkNewbie, It doesn't matter -- I knew it's just a joke.

In Fact, I may not replace a new panels immediately if it still works fine. And Can anyone tell me How to test a Martin Logan speakers? :confused: it's not same as our traditional speakers which can be checked by units.
Thanks all!!!

Tung

Latest posts

Back