Sl 3 SPEAKER SPIKES

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abhijit

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me which of the following Speaker Spikes are best suited for SL3:

1. 1.50" Brass Floor Cones / Speaker Spikes

2. 2.15" Brass Floor Cones / Speaker Spikes

3. Viablue QTC Speaker Spikes

I am using a thick carpet about 17mm. These are available at www.oregondv.com Is there much difference with the ones available at ML at almost 4 times the cost?

OergonDV 2.15" Brass Floor Cones / Speaker Spikes

Hi,

Haven't tried the ML ETC spikes, but I just last week bought a set of the 2.15" brass spikes from OregonDV and have been really happy with the improvement over the standard ML spikes supplied.

Plus they are a lot cheaper too!

Sl3 Speaker Spikes/cones

Acoustat said:
Hi,

Haven't tried the ML ETC spikes, but I just last week bought a set of the 2.15" brass spikes from OregonDV and have been really happy with the improvement over the standard ML spikes supplied.

Plus they are a lot cheaper too!

Thanx for the info. Do you really need 2.15" long spikes?

For the SL3's to obtain the best results you need to use the Viablue HS Elite (38 mm). Finally, using really tall spikes will just lighten the bass response of your speakers as it is moving them further away from the ground.

Last edited:
sl3 spikes

Thank you for the info. Do you think that Viablue HS speaker spikes can be fitted to the exiting screw of SL3? The size available is M6 and not 1/4"

Dan Osib said:
For the SL3's to obtain the best results you need to use the Viablue HS Elite (38 mm). Finally, using really tall spikes will just lighten the bass response of your speakers as it is moving them further away from the ground.

As Dan said, using tall spikes will lighten the bass, but there is an upside to this. Having the bass driver so close to the floor introduces early sound wave reflections off the floor which tend to muddy up the perceived bass sounds. Raising the speakers actually helps to make the bass sound more accurate and tuneful. Have you ever taken a conventional box speaker that would normally reside on a stand and listened to it sitting straght on the floor instead? If you haven't tried this I can tell you it sounds like crap!

Lift those SL3's up as high as you like (within reason), and enjoy the benefits. Give it a try using bricks or concrete slabs just to see if you like it.

Good luck

abhijit,
I'm not sure, but the best thing to do is to contact OREGONDV.

I asked a few months ago about the Viablue coming in 1/4" they said no but were planning on it I have been watching for them and have not heard yet.

FYI: I just noticed that there is a set of 8 ETC spikes on eBay.

Email Paul at OregonDV he said he is looking into trainsition threads for the viablue, I will post again when he gets back to me. They just look like great spikes esp. the QTC

Thanx everyone for your responses. Paul had sent a quote for Viablue QTC (1/4-20) at US$23.00 each for 1/4". Has anyone used these floor cones?

Back