Quantcast

Sl 3 Panel Problem

MartinLogan Owners (MLO)

Help Support MartinLogan Owners (MLO):

abhijit

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
231
Reaction score
0
Location
Kuwait
Can anyone have any idea for the price for SL3 panles? I mean a pair.Are they still available with ML? Is it better to change the panels in pair? I am noticing that in a humid weather condition (central aircoditioned appartment), one of the channel reproduce less high frequency and becomes ok after a hair drying blowing process followed by a heavy blowing. What is the longivity of the panels in a smoke free atmosphere. I could see small black dots on each of the small holes?
 

DTB300

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 1, 2005
Messages
2,146
Reaction score
0
Location
Fallout 3 Land
abhijit said:
Can anyone have any idea for the price for SL3 panles?
I thought it was around $500 for the pair as someone here just recently asked about the price.

Dan
 
D

dyazdani

Guest
I think everybody probably has the "black dots" as it is very difficult to keep dust from the air out of the panels.

Dan is right on the cost $500 a pair. I would not replace just one, you need to do both.
 

abhijit

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
231
Reaction score
0
Location
Kuwait
dyazdani said:
I think everybody probably has the "black dots" as it is very difficult to keep dust from the air out of the panels.

Dan is right on the cost $500 a pair. I would not replace just one, you need to do both.
Thanx for the info. Do you think the problem described can disappear after blowing hot air and can again appear?
 
D

dyazdani

Guest
Try unplugging them for a day or at least, overnight. Then give them a good vacuuming with a shop vac.
 

abhijit

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
231
Reaction score
0
Location
Kuwait
dyazdani said:
Try unplugging them for a day or at least, overnight. Then give them a good vacuuming with a shop vac.
In fact, I disconnected for full 24 Hours and did the hot (warm) air blowing first and then the cold air heavy blowing!! It makes as lot of difference eveytime. I am noticing that the right Speaker is getting affected all the times.
 

abhijit

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
231
Reaction score
0
Location
Kuwait
Do you think it's worth trying to give a shower to the panels before I go for the new panels? I am little confused of the process since someone recommended to spray water on both sides of the panel while others suggested only the front face. Which is correct? Do I need to cover the boundariers (top, bottom, left and right ) with masking tape?
 
Last edited:

roberto

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 1, 2005
Messages
3,224
Reaction score
54
Location
San Jose, Costa Rica
abhijit said:
Do you think it's worth trying to give a shower to the panels before I go for the new panels? I am little confused of the process since someone recommended to spray water on both sides of the panel while others suggested only the front face. Which is correct? Do I need to cover the boundariers (top, bottom, left and right ) with masking tape?
Hola. Read the process at the tweak section of the forum. You have to take them apart from the cabinet.
Cheers,
Pura vida,
Roberto
 

abhijit

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
231
Reaction score
0
Location
Kuwait
Thanx Roberto. I am well aware that one has to dismantle the Panel from the cabinet which I have done earlier since it slided down. I will refer to the process again. Someone wrote that the panel should only be washed from the front side (and not the from the back). Is it better to cover the edges with musking tape to prevent any seepage from any of the sides and to prevent the velcro to get wet. Do you think that a shower will help to resolve my issue.
 

roberto

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 1, 2005
Messages
3,224
Reaction score
54
Location
San Jose, Costa Rica
abhijit said:
Thanx Roberto. I am well aware that one has to dismantle the Panel from the cabinet which I have done earlier since it slided down. I will refer to the process again. Someone wrote that the panel should only be washed from the front side (and not the from the back). Is it better to cover the edges with musking tape to prevent any seepage from any of the sides and to prevent the velcro to get wet. Do you think that a shower will help to resolve my issue.
Hola abhijit. The front part of the panel is the one that has the bias voltage tape at both sides of the panel. Sometimes, ML has found that the dirt or faulty contact of this aluminum foil to the plastic coated diaphragm which is done by adhesive, got loose or there is something in between that produces this missing contact, making part of the panel dead or not sounding at all. With the wash, many times, this contact is revived and you might have a good panel again. The back part of the panel is not important due to there is no electrical contact. After the shower, you have to wait at least two or three hours, until the panel is complete dried. Sometimes, the change of the panel is a must, and here is why ML always send them in pairs. You will have them working with the same sensitivity in both channels. Hope this can help. Happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.
 
Last edited:

DTB300

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 1, 2005
Messages
2,146
Reaction score
0
Location
Fallout 3 Land
roberto said:
Hola abhijit. After the shower, you have to wait at least two or three hours, until the panel is complete dried.
I ran fans blowing at the panel...one on top half, one on bottom half for 1 hour..then turned the panel around and dried the other side the same way. This is detailed in the Tweek Section here under "Dan's ML Cleaning Service".

Dan
 

abhijit

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
231
Reaction score
0
Location
Kuwait
Thanx everone for your valuable suggestions. I have noticed that during the humid weather (although appt. is centrally airconditioned), right channel delivers less output and becomes OK after blowing hot air (hair dryer) followed by heavy blowing. Do you think, it's worth taking a chance of showering the panel? Do you think the humidity may cause problem for new panels also. Is it advisable to disconnect the power cord from the speaker and cover the speaker with the original polythene cover during these type of weather?
I must tell you the experience with the Dakiom Stabilizers. WOH! Tight bass, deep Vocals (which I have not heard before), silky treble! I have never experienced this sort of sound with SL3 along with my other associated gears. I give full marks to all the equipments in my chain. Very very balanced sound!! It's worth trying !!! (Not doing any selling for Kim Dao)
 
Last edited:
Top