Since Purchasing Your ML's - Has What You Listen To Changed?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
I have. Since purchasing my ML's in 2004, I've recently noticed, I have been listening / appreciating more music. And not just any music, specifically Jazz and Classical. My CD collection is a testament to the fact. Originally, before ML's, I preferred HT over Music 90% to 10%. Now I'm at about 70% / 30%... And I'm dreaming / saving for a ML two channel music system, go figure... If you would've told me, what I would be interested in five years ago, I would have not believed it... It's funny how the ML sound can change your listening preferences with time. Has anyone else had this experience? If so what kind of music or HT are you listening to more?

Last edited:
I did for a while but moved back to the music I really love even though some of the recordings are not as good. A real shame at times.

Quartets, Clasical Piano, and Jazz CDs are all being played again as we rediscover the music we have that now sounds quite glorious.

Joel

Yes, it's changed or evolved quite a bit since I've been using Martin Logans. I still like my classic and modern rock but I now have an appreciation for contemporary jazz, acid jazz, acoustic and female vocals to name a few genres. Also, I buy more Cds now than ever before. I built a nice ML HT system but then I got very interested in the simplicity and the expansive sound of 2-channel music.

Robin, Good evening ! Good question, as a matter of fact I find myself enjoying piano more than ever before ( I feel the M/L's are exceptional on piano). I love all three of Tchaikovsky's Concerto's along with Jazz pianist Beegee Adair, not to mention Lang Lang 's rendetion of Rachmaninov's piano concerto No 2.

M/L's are tremendous stress releivers !!!!!!!!!!

I noticed I'm listening more to flamenco guitar than I used to do before - it's so realistic and well rendered that you get the feeling of having the performer in your room. To name a few: Armik, Nocy, Amir, Govi, Ottmar Liebert.

Poor quality recordings haven't been touched for years.

Great Musical Sound...

I don't know, maybe it's just because Blue-Ray or universal players are coming very soon, or maybe it's because I just do not want to purchase anymore regular DVD's, but I think it's because I am loving & appreciating the sound of music through my ML's so much lately..., It's just a gas and so much fun to hear good quality recordings. I've been purchasing more SACD's as well. My wish list at Amazon lately has been mostly audio SACD's or CD's. I typically used to purchase about 6 DVD's, with a CD or two thrown-in during an adverage month. Just to give you an example, here is my shopping list for June 2006:

* Prokofiev's "Peter and the Wolf" - Benjamin Britten
* Andres Segovia's Collection (Vol. 1) - J.S. Bach
* for Ella - Patti Austin
* Tapestry - Carole King (SACD)
* Forever Blue - Chris Isaak
* Ballad Essentials - Scott Hamilton
* Playboy Jazz After Dark - Various Artists
* Makin' Whoopee - Sam Pilafian
* Lady Day: The Best of Billie Holiday - Billie Holiday
* Kind of Blue - Miles Davis (SACD)
* Saophone Colossus (20 Bit Mastering) - Sonny Rollins
* Time Out - Dave Burbeck Quartet (SACD)
* Somethin' Else - Cannonball Adderley
* Bach: 3 Oboe Concertos - Heinz Holiger, Accademy of St. Martin-in-the-fields - Jona Brown
* Stan Getz & The Oscar Peterson Trio The Silver Collection - Stan Getz & The Oscar Peterson Trio

See what I'm going through, it's like a musical extraviganza of sound... :D :p :D It's sick... I'm wondering if their is a cure? or do I even want to recover? :confused:

Last edited:
Pickin and Grinnin

I listen to alot more country now. Was never a big fan before but Vince Gill High Lonesome Road is one of the best recordings I have ever heard as well as great songs. All those clean guitars sound spectacular on Logans. I now seek out country CDs. Any suggestions?

Country...

mrmike said:
I listen to alot more country now. Was never a big fan before but Vince Gill High Lonesome Road is one of the best recordings I have ever heard as well as great songs. All those clean guitars sound spectacular on Logans. I now seek out country CDs. Any suggestions?
mrmike,

The Trio Album - Dolly Parton, Emma Lou Harris, Linda Ronstad.
Appalachia Waltz - Yo-Yo Ma, Mark O'Connor & Edgar Meyer.
Shadowland - k. d. Lang.
A Decade of Hits - Charlie Daniels Band.
Essential Johnny Cash - Johnny Cash, June Carter-Cash (I don't know if this is all country, as Johnny was many forms).

:D HTH - Enjoy

I hate country but try The Wreckers CD. It sounds really good. It is more close to country flavored pop music but it does go down very smooth and tasty.

Not to mention, those chicks are HOT@! I mean it! They are beautiful bettys! Check out the pics on the website. Don't get worked up because it really isn't anything racy at all. Just pure undeniable comeliness. *drool*

Ok back to the thread.

After getting the Logans I placed a lot less importance on music in surround sound and focused more on my stereo recordings. I guess because surround sound was starting to get ridiculous for me (price wise and tweak wise) and the joys of stereo were right before me in all of its ESL glory.

I started listening to a lot of Dead Can Dance from the Serpent's Egg on to Laybrinth. Especially Toward the Within. It really sounds impressive on the Logans.

I did branch out a little into Jazz and Classical. Love the Rhapsody in Blue and Theolonious and Miles. Diana Krall's Girl in the Other Room entralled me (even though long time Krall fans did not receive it too well).

But in the end it really made the music that I love sound so much better. Light years better. Smashing Pumpkin's Window Paine absolutely destroys on the Logans. Nine Inch Nail's Closer is even more of a head trip. Underworld's Cups is smooth and visceral all at the same time.

I would say that the SL3s made me a more well rounded audio enthusiast. Thank you Gayle Sanders. Thank you.

I'd say that I listen to more music period than ever before, and it has expanded my horizons in multiple directions.

I pretty much grew up on Rock and later Alternative, with an appreciation of Classical in my late 20's.

After buying my Sequels and even more so after replacing them with the ReQuests and generally upgrading my entire system I started really appreciating Jazz, Country, World and even some Rap (albeit not a lot of Rap).

The Logans just bring all music more to life, opening windows on a lot of levels...

A walk through history.................

Pro-logic: Surround sound modes........a fad which faded quickly with me.

Sub-Woofer: Organ music and laser disc movies along with some techno, the wife could not take it for long.

Martin Logans: Acoustic music, and female vocals.

Every technology affects the way we interact with it and the medium of our choice. I can say the M/L's have had the most lasting affect on me, going with tubes has been fun too.

Nope. Nothing has changed except that I now look for music that has been recorded better. I still like what I like, and that is, Opera, classical and jazz. The car of course is a different taste of music.

What makes me change the music I listen to is travelling and learning about new & different cultures.

SugarMedia said:
Nope. Nothing has changed except that I now look for music that has been recorded better.
Same thing with me - No changes....Better quality includes RBCD and SACD. A majority of my SACD's are Classical which I really enjoy in MCH.

On muisc, listening to MLs has made me "confused" - happily confused, that is. I've discovered new music, better-recorded music, gone back to my old faves, re-discovered old discs, you get the picture...

On movies, I've paid more attention to music soundtracks (as well as the ambience of certain scenes). Even when the movie is so-so I can appreciate watching it because of the music. When the credits roll, I sometimes let them roll right through to the end, just to hear the music.

On concerts...wow. That's all I can say...wow. Whenever there's a new visitor a concert is the first thing I show.

jfm said:

On concerts...wow. That's all I can say...wow. Whenever there's a new visitor a concert is the first thing I show.

No kidding, did anyone else catch the Trevor Horn special on HDNet?
it's called best 25 years of rock, and man, the 5.1 mix is awesome, and as usual for HDNet, the HD video is stunning.

I was rocking the house down with that thing.

I now find any and all music or movies sound excellent, and I know I still have some more room work to go.

But for years, ML's have allowed me to listen to depth in recordings I've heard for 40 years, yet not until the past 15 (the ML era), have they really shone.

Good recordings, especially on SACD or DVD-A are prized for their resolution.

While I could have changed what I listened to, I really have not. My selection was pretty varied and eclectic to start with.

Erictrostatic said:
Poor quality recordings haven't been touched for years.

same here,my musical tastes have always been eclectic,but ml's really expose poor recordings,but really bring out quality recordings,sometimes really making it difficult to listen to those quality recordings on anything else after exposure to them with ML's.

Last edited:
Back