Side Axis or Back Surrounds?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wink

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Given the immediate choice while growing your HT system, which would be better to start with?
My processor has the ability to go to a 9.1 system which is where I'm planning to go eventually. My next move is going to either be a second pair of Scripts for the back channels or a pair of Claritys for the side axis channels.( my room cannot accommodate Scripts on the sides)

Any advice will definately be helpful in my decision for my next step.

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited:
Wink,

For 5.1 surround sound, I would start with the surround channels on the sidewalls just a few feet behind the listening position. For 7.1 I would have the side surrounds on the sidewalls a foot or two behind the listening position and the back surrounds on the back wall.

dvd-benchmark-part-6-dvd-audio-height-a-2d.jpg

dolby_pro_logic2x.jpg

Yeah, I have my surrounds in place behind and to the outsides on the rear wall. I am going to place the two back surrounds directly behind my listening area, and the side axis speakers on the left and right in front of the listening area, for a 9.1 effect. My next step after that will be to get another sub for the rear(I can run up to 4 subs from my processor, 1 balanced-3 unbalanced).

Well anyway I guess my question was more of which to get first. They are both matrixed from other channels I know(side axis matrixed from frontL/R and back matrixed from surround L/R, unless I am running in DTS-ES mode, which I have). Back surrounds are balanced connections while the side axis are unbalanced, not that it makes that big of a difference in those channels.

Which would give me the best benefit in filling out the sound more?

Dan

Last edited:
Aw yes, the good old Sunfire theater grand IV. I had a TGIII for a couple of year, not a bad processor.

I would do the back surround speakers first and then the front side speakers for 9.1 last. You might want to barrow a pair or two of speakers and try a full 9.1 setup first, before you get too deep into it. I like having the 4 surround speakers behind me but the four speakers up front was a little must for my taste, I felt the four towers up front did more damage to the sound stage then they helped. If I was serious about 9.1 I would have played with the acoustics of the room more because I think the four speakers up front were over powering my room. But give it a try you may like it.

Thanks!

Yeah I love my Sunfire gear, as you can see from my pics. I'm hoping that because of the dimensions of my room( 24' front to back), over-powering my fronts won't be an issue. I'll have to see though. I was hoping that the difference in speaker size from my ReQuests and running off of the 200x5 instead of the 400x7 would create more of an accent.

Back