Shure Electrostatic headphones

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonFo

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As ESL fans, finding a set of cans that can keep up with the clarity of the MartinLogans can be a challenge. The usual suspects for that role are the Stax headphones. But those are quite bulky, and not at all portable, but now, there is a very portable alternative, the Sure KSE1200.

Recently reviewed in What HiFi, they gave it a rave review:

We can’t think of another pair of headphones (apart from the closely related KSE1500s) that sound as clear and detailed as these.

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/shure-kse1200

At $2K, not cheap, but then, neither is any high-end headphone. This is on my short-list of future hardware.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 4a12e23d393bca3b8d2f1f569866b139.jpg
    4a12e23d393bca3b8d2f1f569866b139.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 172
Those are in ear monitors.

Better yet, Janszen has recently announced a new electrostatic headphone, running on rechargeable battery, with fully contained electronics, and plans to also offer a wireless version (via IndieGoGo campaign)... https://www.janszenaudio.com/headphones

Janszen's model is far more enticing for me.

Last edited:
Alan, thanks for sharing that info on the Janszen headphones. But at 1+ lb of weight, that's quite the ask for listening to more than an album or a few tracks.

Even the fairly robust-looking Sonoma / Aperio circumaural electrostatic headphone is only 399g (14oz).

One of the impressive things about those Shure KSE1200's is their small size and low weight, making them practical to wear for hours. I'm really looking forward to pairing them with the Smyth Realizer A16 I have on order so I can listen to Atmos soundtracks and albums even in the small media room.

Interesting. I know Shure are well liked, but I've tried a few of their headphones and never liked them (compared to other in-ear dynamic designs).

Will be interesting to see how this sounds.

Back