Should MLs make a "noise" when switching off?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stereonerd

Reaction score
6 Bayly St, Baylys Beach, 0377, New Zealand
As a first-time owner of a pair of MLs that have bass amps (my previous MLs have been entry-level) I've noticed that when they "switch off" after five minutes of inactivity there's a crunchy noise as they turn off. Are they supposed to do this, or is the operation usually silent?

crunchy eh, like potato chips ? :eek:

only kidding, yes a slight 'crunch' is completely normal !

Hmmmm, guess I'm glad to know this! I've never heard it, but guess that's cuz when I shut things down I leave the room... :unsure:

I remember my Spires sounding like a slight thump / crackle, same thing happens with my Velodyne DD15 sub

As a first-time owner of a pair of MLs that have bass amps (my previous MLs have been entry-level) I've noticed that when they "switch off" after five minutes of inactivity there's a crunchy noise as they turn off. Are they supposed to do this, or is the operation usually silent?
It is a normal behaviour of a power amp when the caps of the power supply are discharged. This odd noise does not affect any component of the system or speakers.
Happy listening!

Latest posts

Back