Should I Re-panel my CLS IIz or Replace Them with a Newest Pair of ML?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planckscale

Reaction score
It has been awhile...
5 years ago, I bought a pair of CLS IIz with dead panels, but never got to work on them cause my SL3 were working fine.
However, the SL3 panels have also gone south, so I want to recurrent the CLSs. The question is, should I buy new CLS panels or just opt for a used pair of ML speaker that is relatively newer than the CLSs and sound just as good or even better (than these CLSs)?

My price comparison is at $3000 range, which is the price of the CLS panels.
FWW, my audio room is a 13'x23'.
Thanks

I had SL3's for 20 + years and bought 11A's (took 7 months for them to break in). In the interim came across CLSII and replaced panels recently. The CLSII are wonderful in their own way. You would need 1 or 2 subs with the CLS also.
I think if you are happy with the SL3 , you should look at the used hybrid models with the Xstat panel. in your budget as more versatile than the CLS. Other members may have more specific recommendations. Another option is replace the SL3 panel. The SL3 remains very popular with other members here. Good luck!

For me CLSII or IIz are speakers that an SL3 will never be.
With that the SL3 is much more forgiving of every piece of equipment and wire you use up stream.
The CLSII do sound amazing but will need subs to perform their best. They will also make you painfully aware if you have a weaknesses up stream.
I owned SL3's for years and purchased a pair of CLSIIz and had them side by side. Even with panels that had problems they sounded much better than the SL3s.
I changed equipment as time went by and was rewarded with the sound that the big panels create.

Thanks guys for your inputs.
I may have not made myself clear; the SL3 are not in this equation at the moment. My focus is on what to do with the CLS IIz. So the question was/is; should I buy new CLS panels or take $3000 (which is the cost of the CLS panels) and buy another pair of ML speakers that are newer than the CLSs but sounds just as good or even better?

Btw, I do have a subwoofer...I am a proud owner of Bag-End Infrasub-18, since 2003!
My audio room is a 13'x23'.

I just replaced the panels on my '96 ReQuests for ~ $2400 and couldn't be happier. Here's my rationale:
  1. Nothing in the $3k - $5k range come close to these ReQuests.
  2. I prefer the lower crossover point (180Hz) of the ReQuests over the higher crossover freq. of the newer models.
  3. My woofers are driven with a Levinson class-A amplifier vs class-D of the newer models.
For me, the higher crossover freq means that the lower registers of male vocals are covered by the class-D amp driving the woofers. It just does not have the tone (presence?) of a Levinson class-A! Now, if ML gives me a choice to get the newer models w/o the class-D amps, I might consider...

Thanks guys for your inputs.
I may have not made myself clear; the SL3 are not in this equation at the moment. My focus is on what to do with the CLS IIz. So the question was/is; should I buy new CLS panels or take $3000 (which is the cost of the CLS panels) and buy another pair of ML speakers that are newer than the CLSs but sounds just as good or even better?

Btw, I do have a subwoofer...I am a proud owner of Bag-End Infrasub-18, since 2003!
My audio room is a 13'x23'.
Is it really possible to buy newer ML electrostats for only $3000 that will sound better than your CLS speakers with new panels? I don't think so.

Another thing, buying used speakers adds in an unknown factor. What kind of problems might the speakers have that you don't know about?

For those reasons I chose to spend $2800 on new panels for my Prodigies.

I got new panels from ML for my Prodigies and am very happy with them.
They sound incredible dont they! Better than I expected. I never heard new Prodigies before. Heard some new 11a speakers at the store the other day and they did not sound overall as good to me. The bass was a bit better though. New, those are $10,000.

I second replacing the CLS panels, especially since you have the sub. There is no equivalent for that price where you will get such detail, depth and intimacy. Enjoy!

Thanks.
Actually, more than 3 months. They told me it will be 14 to16 week lead time!
I don't mind waiting, though...
I think more and more owners are doing it these days. Well worth the wait.

I think that if the owner decides to sell the speakers a few years later, they should be able to recover most of what they spent on the new panels. Another thing to consider, resale value.

Before ML raised the prices a few years ago, new panels were around $700 or so if I remember correctly. Wouldn't that be nice! Then new panels can just be considered wear-and-tear items.

Latest posts

Back