Should have done this years ago...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Go2Fast

Reaction score
My brother is a high end audio fanatic. He's been telling me for years to upgrade. I was previously running the Polk TL150 system with a Polk 8" sub. It was fine. Until I upgraded to a pair of Martin Logan Motion 4i speakers for my left and right channels. Found them slightly used for $200 for the pair on my nextdoor.com neighborhood. I was blown away by the clarity and what I've been missing out on!
Two weeks later I replaced the Polk center channel with a Motion 6i, again amazed. Haven't even messed with the EQ yet! Bought on Amazon from Safe & Sound with a bunch of Amazon gift cards I'd been hording for a year.
A week later another neighbor posted a ML Dynamo 700 wireless sub for $300 with original box, manual, etc.

Very happy with the setup. Next planned purchase is a pair of either motion 4i or 2i for the rear channel, then a replacement receiver. Currently using a Yamaha YMC-700. Need to find something similar in size to fit in the cabinet.

I'm not familiar with your equipment, but sounds like you are getting a new life experience.

And that is cool.

Room acoustics is a biggie.

Once you discover room acoustics, audio madness will set in for sure.

Hola and welcome,

Now you got the virus, and your ears just opened to a new world of sound quality. This sickness is a good one. Enjoy your new toys, and believe what your ears are telling you. They are the final judges!

Happy listening!

You are really making a HUGE upgrade in your system. OK, you are replacing it entirely with a massive move up in performance. You will never be the same. Don't be surprised that other people can't tell a difference in your system. They didn't know your old system like you did. I have to also point out your amazing ability to get the system at a reduced price. Your story is great motivation for others who think they can't afford higher priced gear. I salute your savvy shopping skills!

Not all ears are the same. Some people appreciate fine speakers, although my family doesn't! My best friend came over and heard my Prodigy speakers for the first time. I could literally see the look in his face when I played music. He was amazed. He has appreciation for good audio even though he doesn't own any. His big thing is fine watches. He owns several new Rolex watches as well as other fine ones, but has nothing special when it comes to audio.

I used to be the watch guy too - not a rolex but a couple Tag Hauers, Bulovas, Citizen. Then I got an Apple watch and I almost never wear the others unless I'm going out for a nice dinner or something.

I used to be the watch guy too - not a rolex but a couple Tag Hauers, Bulovas, Citizen. Then I got an Apple watch and I almost never wear the others unless I'm going out for a nice dinner or something.
I like the automatics, but just wear Hamiltons that run under $1k. Good enough for me.

Let 's not blame people's ears so much.... as it is what's between them that matters. You can have 2 people with the same hearing capability, but one person's mind will give sound a very hight priority in processing and attention, and for another person, sound will have a very low priority. For audiophiles, we live a lifetime with audio as a high priority, and our brains develop skills that "normal" people don't have. It's just like musicians who hear music in a different way than non-musicians. It is a learned thing, that is developed over years.

Let 's not blame people's ears so much.... as it is what's between them that matters. You can have 2 people with the same hearing capability, but one person's mind will give sound a very hight priority in processing and attention, and for another person, sound will have a very low priority. For audiophiles, we live a lifetime with audio as a high priority, and our brains develop skills that "normal" people don't have. It's just like musicians who hear music in a different way than non-musicians. It is a learned thing, that is developed over years.
Yeah, mine started in High School when I got a high quality Alpine Car stereo setup. After that I was hooked. Sometimes I wish I had never gotten into audio because it gets so expensive.

Back