Shape of Ascent panels, and wrinkles

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Ward

Reaction score
I recently purchased a pair of Ascents s/h. I'm enjoying getting used to them, and have added a couple of tweaks so far: absorbent foam tiles on the sloping part immediately behind the panels, and the same in front of the crossovers inside the woofer enclosures. I've also given the panels a shower, as recommended on this site.

Now my questions:

1. I've noticed that the panels are much flatter at the bottom than the top. Is this correct or have they been bent at some point?
2. I've also noticed that the mylar film is quite wrinkled towards the bottom of the panels, on both speakers. Is this correct, or is it perhaps an effect of the panels having been flattened at some point?

Sorry that these are somewhat noobie questions, but I am one with MLs! Thanks for your help.

Peter Ward

Wrinkled panels do not usually pose an issue and it is a common occurrence. However it is definitely not ideal, and you can straighten them out using a hairdryer - just search for hairdryer for a few posts on the issue.

That said though - I wouldn't do anything unless it is causing an issue with sound. Yes - pics would be great to evaluate the extent of the problem. A few (1-10) wrinkles at the edges could almost be considered normal at that age though. If the problem is worse than that, and the hairdryer doesn't work then new panels might be the only option.

Don'y worry about the wrinkles. They're only cosmetic and don't effect the sound at all. I haven't heard of the 'hair dryer' tweak - it's worth a try.

Hola. But take care when you are applying the heat. If you over do it, you can melt the diaphragm. Do it carefully. Hair dryer works perfect to tight back again the diaphragm. Happy listening!

Pics of my Ascents

Sorry about the delay. I obviously put my post in the wrong place and then wasn't informed when it had replies. Here are some pictures:

IMAG0895.jpgIMAG0894.jpgIMAG0896.jpg

It's hard to get the wrinkles on a photo but hopefully you get the idea.

I don't see wrinkles in those pics.

But the wrinkles might be explained by the lack of curvature at the bottom as you described earlier, so if they were mine I would try to get the original curve back -- perhaps by using something (foam, sock, etc. ) as a spacer behind the panel to begin with...?
Isn't there 'something' in the uprights or rails that keeps the panel from spreading and flattening? (I haven't seen an Ascent taken apart, but on SL3 f.ex. the rails force the panel to keep a certain max overall width, or they don't go on...)

thanks for your thoughts, Tosh. I'll have to power them down again, take them apart and see if I can gently reintroduce the curvature at the bottom of the panels. While it's true that the rails force the panels to keep a maximum width, on the Ascents at least the tolerance is quite large.

I was away last week so took the opportunity to switch them off before I went. Last night when I returned I removed the panels and reshaped them. I cut out a pattern based on the shape at the top and replicated it at the bottom of each. I reformed them over my knee, and was surprised at how stiff the panels are! I didn't do too much in the middles, just at the bottom ends.

The results:
1. They still work! This is quite important :)
2. The image has improved. Not night and day but definitely better
3. They look better with a relatively constant curvature all the way down, which now blends in better with the woofer grille.

BTW, I asked KJ West One for prices for replacement panels and woofers (Ascent i). Joachim kindly responded:

The price for an upgrade to the Ascent i woofers would be £588 for the pair.
The price for a replacement of the panels would be £1092 for the pair.

So it's definitely worth keeping the old ones running as long as possible!

Well done!

Unless something goes wrong with your woofers I wouldn't worry about getting new ones. If something happens, at that time, come back and we'll see what is available on the market. (Right now there's a $100 Scan Speak.)

Screen Shot 2012-12-24 at 16.22.17 .jpg

Wow! The price quoted is almost $400 American per woofer! Vs. $100 for the scan speak, which is probably identical to the one ML uses. I know Peter said the parts department has to "break even" but a nearly fourfold markup? That is ridiculous. I wonder how much of that markup is added on by the UK distributor, taxes, etc. Anyone know what ML is currently charging in the US for replacement Ascent i woofers?

almost $400 American per woofer!

Over USD$400 Rich - USD$445 by my calculation. Each.

Now I don't want to speculate on whether the ScanSpeak is the same or not - but still.......even if the ML one was different and twice the price....wow.

And if the distributors are anything like the ones in Australia, I'm sure they take a large bite of the cherry too.....

Back