Setting up an HT system

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tah800

Hi just joined your site. I'm from New Brunswick Canada. We're right next to the State of Maine. I presently have Carver Amazing Loud Speakers and a set of Silver 9t mono block amps. I've been reading a lot about the Martin Logan centers especially the Theater i's and the Logos.They certainly have excellent reviews. My problem is this. Would either of these centers work well with my Carvers. I would also consider a set of scripts for my rear speakers if the ML gear would work well with what I have. I'm also looking seriously at a Sunfire TheaterGrand IV for my processor. Bob Carver is still involved with their stuff and I sure love my other Carver gear. Art

I honestly cant say what would match better. But I can tell you that the sunfire is a compete waste of $$$$. Its a good unit, thats for sure, but there are some major problems. The THD is .7%. Thats horriffic for a high end piece. This may have been changed, but thats what it was the last time I checked. Really, the new Anthem D2 for around the same price is a WAY better choice. I have outlaw, but thats because a 23 year old cant really afford an Anthem right now. Ask around, you'll see that Anthem is the way to go.

Matten Logan said:
I honestly cant say what would match better. But I can tell you that the sunfire is a compete waste of $$$$. Its a good unit, thats for sure, but there are some major problems. The THD is .7%. Thats horriffic for a high end piece. This may have been changed, but thats what it was the last time I checked. Really, the new Anthem D2 for around the same price is a WAY better choice. I have outlaw, but thats because a 23 year old cant really afford an Anthem right now. Ask around, you'll see that Anthem is the way to go.
Bob Carver's tube designs were very well-reviewed. Specs rarely correlate with the way equipment sounds - especially tubed equipment. I would try to borrow (from a dealer?) the equipment you'd like to hear. The ML stuff just might sound great with your ribbons.

Carver Electronics and ML Match-up...

Art,

Welocme to the ML Club! :D
From what I've read here on our wonderful ML Club, I know Carver electronics blend well with ML speakers like Theater i and Script i's. One of our members - WardsWeb has gobs of wonderful Caver electronics with ML speakers. Check out his website or this thread:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?p=14769#post14769

WardsWeb's Carver Silver Seven is absolutely terrific... :D

:D Good luck on your audio quest...

I use all Sunfire and Carver equipment with my ML (see system #64). I think Carver / Sunfire equipment match very well with ML speakers. THD is not the end all. Listen to the equipment you are going to buy. I like a little distortion in my sound. It warms things up a bit. This audio characteristic might not be for everyone.

.7 THD is totally irrelevent. It is as inaudible at half as much or twice as much.

Last edited:
attyonline said:
.7 THD is totally irrelavent. It is as inaudible as half as much or twice as much.
Agreed here...the distortion of THD is even, not odd as SS. As I always said, trust your ears, specs are meaning less...the even distortion is part of the harmonic texture of all instruments and voices...odd is the one the we can hear with no problem...tubes does not have odd distortion...happy listening,
Roberto.

First, I would also look at Magnepan as a potential option for a center to your Carver Amazing speakers.
Although, as a Martin Logan owner, I still think a Theater i would be a better choice.

Regading Sunfire amps , I can say I highly recommend the Solid State amps. And as proof of just how good a performance one can get with Sunfire’s, my SL3XC center channel speaker total chain has less than 0.6% Thd.
Again, the total chain of pre-amp, amps, crossovers, gain adjustments, etc. Plus the speaker, measure under 0.6%!
See measurement capture: http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showpost.php?p=19065&postcount=46

I can guarantee, there is no audible distortion with this rig, odd or otherwise.

So enjoy your Sunfire’s and happy hunting for a center. Worst case, you can always build your own. ;)

Better yet, you could look to Carver again for a matching center, check this out:

http://www.sunfire.com/CR.htm

primary_CR.jpg

Might not be enough ribbon and mid-bass to keep up with the L/R but it's a start.

Okay, let me defend my comments. I DO NOT think Carver stuff is bad. I think that in particular the TG series of processors (which are not tube) are over-rated. They are excellent pieces of equipment, really warm and smooth. They also look awesome. However, I think that with what you pay for the TG IV, there are better choices.
About THD, yes it is not the end all be all spec. However, the measurement provided is a baseline at rms output of the unit. THD increases with output increase, so if you drive your stuff hard or at low impeadences the THD will increase. I dont mean that .7 is too high, its really low, but if you drive the stuff hard, THD might increase to unaxceptable levels for some listeners.
Of course, this is just my opinion and the TGIV might sound awesome with your setup. I know the carver amps work well with ML, that warmth cancels some of the dead sound of some highs that Stats create.
Good luck!

Back