Sequel + Fresco?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPD

Reaction score
I've had my vintage Sequels for about 2 years now and am quite happy with how I have them placed in the room and cabling (power is another matter, tho).

However, while they generally sound great on most movies, there are some where my lack of a center channel really shows (e.g. "Batman Begins").

I live in an apartment, so heavy-duty in-wall installations aren't possible.

Given that, what does everyone think about the idea of mating a Fresco as center channel to a pair of Sequels?

Thanks!

DPD said:
I've had my vintage Sequels for about 2 years now and am quite happy with how I have them placed in the room and cabling (power is another matter, tho).

However, while they generally sound great on most movies, there are some where my lack of a center channel really shows (e.g. "Batman Begins").

I live in an apartment, so heavy-duty in-wall installations aren't possible.

Given that, what does everyone think about the idea of mating a Fresco as center channel to a pair of Sequels?

Thanks!
Hola DPD. I will recommend to you to use electrostatic center speaker like Cinema i or Logos before the Frescos. They will match better. Now, if you ask me which center channel I have? Frescos, they are the closest sound to an electrostatic...my room is very small, so it blends very nice with my CLS IIz. Try to audition them first with your Sequels and listen carefully...if you like what you listened, go for them...trust your ears. Happy listening,
Roberto.

How much room do the Cinema or Logos need behind them?

I have an HDTV with a screen only 18" from the wall, so the center channel woul d be at least that close, if not closer.

DPD said:
How much room do the Cinema or Logos need behind them?

I have an HDTV with a screen only 18" from the wall, so the center channel woul d be at least that close, if not closer.
Both come with a stand, so they are very close to the back wall or you can put them on top of the screen...
Roberto.

DPD, I can't compare to the Sequels but my Fresco works just fine with my Vantage's. I will admitt I'm not the most critical 5.1 enthusiast though.

Dpd,
Like Roberto, I have the Fresco as a center chanel, with my CLSiiZ as fronts and Sequel II's as rears. I found they do blend well. I am sure electrostatics would be optimum but the checkbook told me otherwise.

I do not htink you will be dissapointed but I would try and listen to them if possible.

Jeff :cool:

For those of you who find the Fresco blends well, is that just as a center channel for cinema, or also for multi-channel music?

Not that I listen to a lot of multi-channel music...

with the half dozen or so Concert DVD's that i own i feel it does just fine with respect to timbre match, etc. Not owning a multi-channel SACD (yet) I can't say as to that source.

Thanks for all the great replies and helpful information.

For those of you who do have the Fresco, how hard is it to drive?

The Sequels are pretty damn brutal and can, on the biggest movie effects in my system, set off a 'system protect' if the volume is too high, especially with DTS.

I assume the Frescos have to be gentler?

I'm driving mine with a Pioneer VSX-59TX, I think the thing is rated @125 per channel. It drives it fine for the movies and concert videos that i watch.

Believe it or not, I am driving the Fresco with a 30 year old Marantz Model 30 integrated amp which is 60 watts RMS, 120 peak. Actually it is clean to about 180 watts before any distortion. What can I say it was a quality amp in its day. Amerian made and built to MIL spec. This works fine for me. I may upgrade the amp later but it does keep up very well.

The Sequel II's are power by a 300 watt amp.

Jeff :cool:

Back