Senseless

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hate to say this, if everyone was armed, this would not happen. Harsh, but real!!!
I am the son of a ww2 vet, Korean conflict vet. I was raised in the proper handling of firearms. Learned to shoot at 5 years old. Had my first gun at 9. I haven’t shot or killed anyone. That being said I will defend myself, my family, friends, neighbors from any one who threatens me.
Guns don’t kill people, people do. I have to say, this man had problems. His own family saw it. Speak up!!! If my son came home with any weapon , I would question it.
Enough said, take your hostile views somewhere else. This forum is about audio not politics.

Not being from the US i am very puzzled by Texans saying the solution is more guns rather than less guns ... Another thing is this is a point where the US by far stands out from the rest of the countries sharing the same democratic values. Agree this is a political discussion and we have the right of expressing our views so for this forumm the closest i can get is that speakers repruduce gun shots well.

Hate to say this, if everyone was armed, this would not happen. Harsh, but real!!!

Are you seriously suggesting that these victims in Uvalde who were mostly under 11 should go to school with guns?? Or that every teacher and adult in every school should be armed each day when they go to work and get into a gunfight if a shooter appears??

Is that really the kind of world you want to live in and you want your children to live in??

FYI Uvalde is the 27th school shooting and the 213th mass shooting in the US in the past 5 months.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brie...ol-shootings-that-have-taken-place-this-year/
(BTW even though I'm listed as being from Singapore, I'm actually an American and have been my entire life.)

It is definitely a very very very tragic turn of events, especially when it involves kids. For crying out loud... kids! At an elementary school.

Like I said before and replied to another post by RAH, I really can't blame just the US or Texas for that matter, as this sort of thing can happen anywhere with someone having serious mental issues. It's very clear that these issues are not addressed, and so life goes on...

Back in my home land, which is Sri Lanka, Colombo, we had a bloody civil conflict for over 30 years. Then a new PM was elected and all of a sudden in 2009 May, the war ended in just 4 months! He violated every human right imaginable... used heavy artillery against the so called terrorist group, and goodness knows what else he did (also wiped out over 250,000 people up Nth), and now is wanted for war crimes. But you see, the thing is he just resigned as PM and managed to bail out with a helicopter full of cash, leaving his other half witted brother as President who's ruined the country! They don't even have money to print the national exams nor have any ink! Let alone food essentials and electricity in the country is zero! Hence, the riots continue, violence is at large and the people have had enough. So, now they're taking to the streets.

I would think that in the US or certain States, if such mass shootings are so frequent, why aren't the people doing anything about it...?
Well, they are! They want to but there's a much larger problem than just the NRA and their lobbyists. Yes, the NRA is extremely powerful, non-US people don't know how powerful the NRA is. Leaving that aside, I firmly believe there's a group of vulnerable kids & people that are left in the way side... and this is the group that need the help.
1. Lonely
2. Rejected
3. Side lined systematically throughout their youth.
4. No close supportive family.
5. No nurturing or proper upbringing.
6. Basically, nothing or no one to look up to.
7. No friends
8. No aspirations, no social life.
9. A loser...
10. Have suicidal thoughts or thoughts of harm.

Amongst all of this, there's the gun control issue as well, which should have been sorted out looong time ago, waaay back when it was possible to do so. Now, it's too late, simply because those regulations and governing bodies, whatever they're called, are very strong, hence you just cannot break them down and change laws overnight. Can be done though slowly within a time frame, only if they are really willing to make that change. The question is, are they willing? And if so, who's going to make that change?

Now, my hometown is Melbourne, and I absolutely love Aus, wouldn't want to be anywhere else. However, we do have our own systemic issues, drugs, alcohol and other substances that can cause serious harm, and it's getting worse day by day.

I can't speak for my former hometown, Colombo, because it's way out of my comprehension as to how on earth our own people allowed it to get to this point. It's an utter shame and absolute disgrace!

As for the actual shooter in the recent event, I can only see one thing! And that is, this person was just 18, still not yet fully developed, pretty much half wit, and half cooked... extremely agitated with himself and those around him, so he decides to shoot up a primary school... go figure!

When I lived in the US, between 94 to 98/99, I pretty much saw it all. The gaps between the haves & have-nots, the educated privileged and the under-dogs, the ones primed for success and those that fell through the cracks... there's no real help for the vulnerable, unless they helped themselves. The population is massive! 350 million vs only 22 million in Aus & SL... not even comparable. But I firmly believe that this particular chap was one of those that fell through the cracks... no one took him seriously nor did they stop to check on him, so who would have known. Only his grandmother though... poor soul got shot.

During my undergraduate years in Chicago, there was a scuffle on campus during one of our event nights... a major ruckess broke out and several shots were fired. I was part of campus security at the time and was caught in the cross-fire. I still have the scar on my chest to prove it and tell this tale, which I'll never forget! Yes, that kid who was un-invited had access to firearms. Where did he get it? Who knows... most probably from one of the gun shops. Anyway, he shot and killed one of our fellow Uni students that night, and I witnessed the whole dam thing, it wasn't pretty.

That was during Clinton's time, now it has gotten far worse and like I said, this issue should have been dealt with a very long time ago, not now?

In Aus, there was one major mass shooting around 96 if I'm correct and the govt seized all guns! They even paid the gun owners so thst they don't lose money... done & dusted! Back then it was easy to gather whatever firearms there were in circulation but now... forget it!

I don't think there's ever going to be a solution to the gun control issue in the US, from the time I was there, I experienced other issues than just gun control. Those points I listed above need to be addressed first. Education and proper upbringing in a supportive environment is lacking. That's the issue!

Keep safe all, and look out for one another, afterall that's the best we can do at this stage. I still have hope though!
Enjoy those fine tunes, RJ

Last edited:

Because everyone walks around armed in every other country in the world, don't they? Of course! That's why other countries don't have a problem! How silly of me!

What do you want for your country!?! Dead set, what do you want?

Little children taking guns to school and having shootouts with murderers? Is that what you want?

It's not that bad even in places like Afghanistan. Places your president likes to call “hell holes”.

Those guns must have made the police feel so safe. The police were there with guns and even they didn’t go in. Geez, if only the police were armed, they could have stopped it. ………. Hang on……..?

What kind of world do you want!

How many times have you heard about a “carrying” citizen saving the day against a criminal? How many?

This beggars belief!

Now, I've said it in every post and I'm going to say it again - Why does this only happen in the USA? Stop ignoring the question. Surely you are courageous enough to at least consider it?

Last edited:
Amey01, definitely has some valid points, there's no denying it.

I must say though, during my undergrad years, plus higher education in the UK and post-grad studies in Aus, the best ever experience I had was in the US. The people were so friendly and genuine on and off campus. I had so many friends from both African American and white communities plus a few Latino's. Being the president of the ISA (Int'l Students Association) I had to adapt and be able to blend with any culture, including the crazy Malaysian and Brazil Students that joined as freshman. They weren't used to the free world, especially the girls from Malaysia who were raised in very strict Muslim backgrounds... when they arrived in Chicago and I picked them up at O'Hare airport in our Uni's minibus, it was like birds let free from their cages... it really was!

As the years went by, each of these students were initially very homesick. The wonderful American community off campus embraced these kids and looked after them. Some families even housed them and brought them up in typical American culture, that included Christmas, Easter and Thanks Giving. It was an awesome experience to see these students assimilate into US culture, and when they finally graduated they went on to achieve great things, such as become business leaders and top service providers in their own countries. Some of which I'm still in touch with today.

My point is, even at that time, although gun culture was strife and gang crime was at large, these genuine American folk embraced outsiders who they didn't even know. They taught them good values, nutured and cared for them, in other words they offered them so much support, without prejudice.

If this was offered to those poor souls, the lonely and rejected lot who fall through the cracks and find themselves totally isolated from society, these senseless acts of violence wouldn't happen. I know very well that this is definitely easier said than done but at least we could have tried and given these lost souls a chance, that's all it takes.

This starts from the grass roots levels, in primary schools and upwards. Once they enter adolescence, and they're in secondary school, if their head space is not wired right, then I'm afraid they would simply think that's its ok to pick up a couple of assault rifles walk into a primary school and start shooting...

The value system starts with education and proper upbringing, if this is undermined in any way then the whole purpose of values is lost.
I think I've said enough, and I truly hope there's a way forward to help the mentally weak... after all they are part of the community. These were not Aliens from another planet, just an 18 year old kid with no support!

One thing for sure is, obviously they don't enjoy their music, for if they did the world would be a better place, without a doubt !

Cheers all and be safe!
Peace, RJ

the best ever experience I had was in the US. The people were so friendly and genuine on and off campus.

I too have had some great times in the US.

I also agree most people I've come across are friendly and genuine.

What I didn't know (at the time) - the first time I went to the US (at a naive and oblivious age 10, circa 1987), my Mum was sitting in the front seat freaking out about the California freeway shootings that were happening at the time. That's no way to live - then or now.

If you're an intrepid traveller who likes to do tours of North Korea and Syria and similar, then you expect to "freak out" about certain things. Maybe that's half the fun? But it's not something you expect when you go to a country like the USA, is it?

I too have had some great times in the US.

I also agree most people I've come across are friendly and genuine.

What I didn't know (at the time) - the first time I went to the US (at a naive and oblivious age 10, circa 1987), my Mum was sitting in the front seat freaking out about the California freeway shootings that were happening at the time. That's no way to live - then or now.

If you're an intrepid traveller who likes to do tours of North Korea and Syria and similar, then you expect to "freak out" about certain things. Maybe that's half the fun? But it's not something you expect when you go to a country like the USA, is it?
Yes, I see your point mate.
Also experienced very similar situations but not only there, in other parts of the world too. However, it's far too frequent in the US, and especially these school shootings. Just small kids, such precious young lives taken away... definite changes in firearms laws needs to happen but I'm really not sure if there's a viable solution to this, especially after so long. In hope though! 🙏
Best, RJ

Sadly it now appears that Law enforcement seriously F'd up this tragedy as well :mad:

Enough said, take your hostile views somewhere else. This forum is about audio not politics.

That's not how it works. One does not get to come onto the MLO site, set their own rules, and tell others to leave. On THIS site, we (the vast majority of us) value and respect the opinions of others. And, as previously noted, this is the "Off-Topic" Forum.

BTW, congrats on being "...the son of a ww2 vet, Korean conflict vet." Your father's service is sincerely appreciated.

At the risk of starting yet another battle...

This is another unfortunate case of a child in what appears to be a single parent home that went to live with his grandmother because he and his mother had issues. Apparently he had issues with his grandmother also.

Two parent families are extremely important for children to grow up in. I am not saying that a single mother or father can't raise a well adjusted child, it is Much harder.

I have known single parent families that the children and parent are just as well adjusted and anyone else with no issues.

I won't believe that this boy had no signs of any irregular behavior for society.
Would it be extremely hard and painful for a parent or parents that could not direct a child in the proper direction to force them into a program of some type? Absolutely, with out a doubt.

Do we need more programs for children and adults with problems, yes.

One large part is people that are not mature enough deciding to have sex and or get married and start a family only to decide they don't want to do that. Thus leaving another generation to potential problems.

My wife and I have 52 nieces and nephews and more of them are single parents than I would ever have imagined. It is very painful to watch and there is only so much you can do with direct help and prayer. Thank God for grandparents though.

Are there clearly to many shootings in our country, yes. People that want to do harm to others will find a weapon of some kind if that is in their hearts and mind.
All we can do is to try to help people move in the right direction.

Not that one is worse than the others but, one of teacher that was killed, her husband died 2 days of a heart attack leaving 4 children.

Brad I saw that as well, the word sad doesn't even seem work anymore. Not the country you and I grew up in .......:(

Two parent families are extremely important for children to grow up in. I am not saying that a single mother or father can't raise a well adjusted child, it is Much harder.

I couldn’t agree more.

People that want to do harm to others will find a weapon of some kind if that is in their hearts and mind.

Rubbish. So why does it only happen in the US? (I’m getting sick of typing this).

(That’s why you need to get guns out of society.)

Last edited:
I couldn’t agree more.

Rubbish. So why does it only happen in the US? (I’m getting sick of typing this).

(That’s why you need to get guns out of society.)

Amey, I am in no way saying these numbers are acceptable.
These are from -Stistista based on FBI statistics from 2020 in the USA.

This was my reference to the fact people will find a way to be violent. I would be curious as to other countries rates.

Murders from:

Handguns 8029
Firearms not stated 4863
Rifles 455
Shotguns 203
non gun 4166

I would be curious as to other countries rates.

Mass shootings in Australia since 1997 = zero
School shootings in Australia since 1991 = 4. Deaths resulting = zero

Yes, people can (and generally do) find other ways to murder. But those ways don’t usually allow you to mow down 39 helpless little children in the space of a few seconds.

If only the police were armed, they would have been able to stop this sort of thing. ……… Hang on………
The police wouldn't go in and arrested and tased parents that tried to. There is going to be a S..t storm with this and if they refused to go in they should lose their jobs at a minimum.

No comment on 4166 non gun murders?

Back