See What makes the summit tick?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverb2009

Reaction score

Attachments

• 984-bas.jpg
    984-bas.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 1,080
Last edited:
I think they really are quite stunning to behold.

But gee, those cabinets look like they're constructed of some really thin material there :eek:

Talk about serious equalization to provide flat response in a box that small...only 200 watts per woofer? :cool:

And why the Cinema mated to these Summits? I suppose he's waiting on the Stage...

Barbados said:
I think they really are quite stunning to behold.

But gee, those cabinets look like they're constructed of some really thin material there :eek:

Talk about serious equalization to provide flat response in a box that small...only 200 watts per woofer? :cool:

And why the Cinema mated to these Summits? I suppose he's waiting on the Stage...

"...why the Cinema..." - he upgraded the Summits from Ascents.

Some truely amazing pics!

Hey guys, correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

1. Self powered woofers, 200 watts each.

2. Thin walls makes lively cabinetry, like Sonis Faber (Italy).

3. Do you think the woofers take up different parts of the bass frequencies or sing the same song?

4. I'm wondering why they didn't go push pull like M&K did a few years back (I have a MX-90).

Barbados, Peter Klim

What’s up? Long time no see. :D

I have got to say Barbados the more I see the Summit's the more I like them. I just wish my ML dealer would carry them :mad:. I am going to have to go out of my way to hear a pair.

The person that owns the summit system "Diamonds" posted a comment about waiting for the stage.

Quote from Diamonds.
"I will be replacing the Cinema just as soon as I can get my hands on the Stage center. I also agree with you that it will be hard making a better center channel that the Theater I because it is AWESOME!"

Well I am not sure if the cutaway is representative of the true thickness. And smaller spaces need less bracing.

I am sure that there is equalization going on. But the great thing about self-powered speakers is that the engineer can determine where the limit is and build an amp that will go to that limit effeciently. I am sure 200 watts is enough to achieve whatever goal that the Martin Logan engineers wanted to achieve.

Paradigm built self-powered speakers that had 25 watt amps for the tweeters and 50 watt amps for the woofers and they reviewed quite well. I am willing to give ML the benefit of the doubt until I hear one.

Now if only they could sexy up that ugly looking box.

Zip3kx07,
Digital Ear in Tustin, CA has a pair for audition if you are willing to drive that far. I already listened to them and was not very impressed for some reason. It appears that I prefer the CLS over the Summit at this point.

lej1447 said:
Zip3kx07,
Digital Ear in Tustin, CA has a pair for audition if you are willing to drive that far. I already listened to them and was not very impressed for some reason. It appears that I prefer the CLS over the Summit at this point.

My Dealer here in Palm Desert has a ML setup almost exactly like mine. The exception being a Cinema center instead of the Theater center. I would say if I was in the market for new speakers and I had never herd Martin Logan’s before, this system at Tweeter would have totally turned me off from the idea of Electrostats. It sound unbelievably Bad, Hollow, Bright, big boomy bass, ETC.

Whenever I listen to a setup at a dealer I try to keep an open mind and remind my self that they would never spend the kind of time to properly set it up. A dealer’s setup is merely a good starting point for a grate system. Only you can make it grate.

I am planning a trip to Phoenix, AZ later in the year, when I do I am going to stop into Showcase AV, and have a listen to there Summits. Which is both good and bad. Good because I will finally get to see whatever one is raving about, bad because I may have to put in some serious over time to get a pair. Some times this hobby sucks. :D

I don't think Sonus Fabers have thin wall cabinets. If you tap on the cabinets you'll hear a dull thud sound instead of a hollow wood sound which means the wood is very thick or deadened with some other material. Not mention the Sonus Faber are very heavy for thier size. If the cabinets are really that thin on the Summits then they should sound hollow when you tap on it.

The panels on the Summits in the photo are very glossy. Is that a finer screen on the panel? Smaller holes but more of them? Wasn't that an (i) model improvement?

My local Sound Advice (Tweeter) dealer had them listed on their inventory database and said they are supposed to get them in June. I'll stop by this weekend and see/hear.

Also, he swapped out his Ascent i's AND his Descent sub for the Summits. I guess the bass must be that good.

And how did they get the 200 watts to the woofers without any wires being attached? :cool:

Last edited:
Craig said:
The panels on the Summits in the photo are very glossy. Is that a finer screen on the panel? Smaller holes but more of them? Wasn't that an (i) model improvement?

It's called MicroPerf, it was introduced on the Clarity's.

Attachments

• 984-microperf.jpg
    984-microperf.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 998
Last edited:
Zip-

That is definitely the, "Money shot." I have no idea why ML isn't using images like that on their website. I am really sold on it and I haven't even heard it. And how cool is that blue light?

In addition, I think that these photos show it is far from Ikea-like as some had been quoted as saying.

Anyway, glad to see my MF CD player was in the mix.

Cheers guys.

The money shot does look good but I wonder if there is a switch to turn off the light for HT use. That cutaway is a nice little photoshop but in no way does it represent the true dimensions of the interior. :D

I wonder of anyone in the Toronto area has the summit yet.... :confused:

1. Craig notices no wires going to the speakers in the cut-a-way - good point.

2. EricE said: that cutaway is a nice little photoshop but in no way does it represent the true dimensions of the interior.

So I have a question, is this kind of mis-information bound to more harm than good for M/L?

Second question, are these (2) two hundred watt amps on-board or off-board? I don't see them in the photo-chop cut-a-way.

Will anyone point them out for me?

Also does each speaker have a (2) 200 watt amp or is it (1) 200 watt amp for each single speaker? That is single speaker not single driver.

Edit:

RE: "I don't think Sonus Fabers have thin wall cabinets."

I don't know if they are exactly "thin" in true dimensions, I must of read that the cabinets are not dead/inert and resonate with the misic enhancing it like a musical instrument. Yep, this does sound like Sterophile BS. :)

Last edited:
kach22i said:
1. Craig notices no wires going to the speakers in the cut-a-way - good point.

They use Bluetooth technology :) Actually I believe it is just a redition to give people a general sense of what the layout inside is. I do not believe it was ment to be an "exact" respresentation like a schematic layout.

2. EricE said: that cutaway is a nice little photoshop but in no way does it represent the true dimensions of the interior.

So I have a question, is this kind of mis-information bound to more harm than good for M/L?

Again, I believe this is just a "generalized" type picture/layout so people have an idea where the drivers are located and the electronics...no more no less. And personally for me it does not detract from the product one bit.

Second question, are these (2) two hundred watt amps on-board or off-board? I don't see them in the photo-chop cut-a-way.

Will anyone point them out for me?

Also does each speaker have a (2) 200 watt amp or is it (1) 200 watt amp for each single speaker? That is single speaker not single driver.

My guess, without knowing for sure, is they are using newer power amplifier technology like the Ice Power. Very small components, unlike what we are normally use to with massive power supplies and massive amounts of capcitor storage.

And they are located right behind the controls for the amps, which are located right above the binding posts.

Dan

DTB300/ Dan......thanks for the information. :)

This Ice-Power sounds interesting - does it have it's own thread yet?

EricE said:
The money shot does look good but I wonder if there is a switch to turn off the light for HT use. That cutaway is a nice little photoshop but in no way does it represent the true dimensions of the interior. :D

I wonder of anyone in the Toronto area has the summit yet.... :confused:

YES! there is a switch on the back of the summits that controls the light output.

TOO ALL

Also dont forget to check out the TWO links I posted in my first post, There is more info and pics on the summit. There is also info and pics on how thay make the Xstat pannels.

Injoy :D

Last edited:
I just took a look at the pics. Looks like ML spent their time in the R&D for this new speaker. Now if I could only hear one.

Back