Second end Aerius

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alberto

Reaction score
Dear All
I have just purchesed a pair of Aerius w/o listening to them (the previous owner told me the panel must be changed).
When I got home I hooked up the Aerius to amp and the sound from the panel was very very low.
My question is:
How can I be sure that substituting the panel will restore the sound? Is not that there can be something else wrong?
Where to buy new panel? (I live in Singapore).
Thank you very much
Ciao
Al

Might be worth you washing the panels to see if you can improve them.
It worked for me,

New panels can be bought no problems,
I would send an email to Jim @ Martin logan, His email is on the forum somewhere, sorry I don't have it.
he can hopefully give you details of who to get new panels off, if the shower trick doesn't work.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=604

Hope this helps

Cheers
Steve

Give them a really good vacuum first, then the shower thing might be worth a try, but only as a last resort.

It could also be the electronics rather than the panel itself. But it is more likely the panel, particularly if they are older than 10 years - somewhere on this site you'll find the serial number decode and you can find out the age of your panels.

If they are younger than 10 years and don't stench of cigarette smoke then I'd email ML first and there may be other things to try.

...... Where to buy new panel? (I live in Singapore). .....
Welcome. :rocker:

I visited Singapore last month. I think you can buy the panels at the ML agent, Norman Audio, in Adelphi. And also you can check the good sound from MLs there. I persuade you to check the good sound from new panels by yourself and decide if you change them or not after listening,

Shuji

Might be worth you washing the panels to see if you can improve them.
It worked for me,

The fact is that the sound is very feeble. This thing bother me because can be the electronic.
I have not been able to open the box to check the circuit.
I have already vacuum out the panel and no major improvement.
I will give a tri with the washing, Thanks.
Ciao
Alberto

Let us know how it goes with the washing,

Fingerscrossed it works for you.

Cheers
Steve

The fact is that the sound is very feeble. This thing bother me because can be the electronic.
I have not been able to open the box to check the circuit.
I have already vacuum out the panel and no major improvement.
I will give a tri with the washing, Thanks.
Ciao
Alberto

Hi,
Another thing you can try is to leave the speakers unplugged overnight (from the AC power), to let the panels fully discharge. Then try them the next day to see how they sound unplugged (panels should be almost completely dead, but the woofers will sound normal). Then, while the music is playing, plug the speakers back in. If the high voltage bias circuit is working, the panels should come to life, and the sound should change tremendously. If the sound does not change, then there is as good possibility that the high voltage bias circuit is not functioning, and will need repair or replacement.

HTH,
Peter

Hi,
Another thing you can try is to leave the speakers unplugged overnight (from the AC power), to let the panels fully discharge. Then try them the next day to see how they sound unplugged (panels should be almost completely dead, but the woofers will sound normal). Then, while the music is playing, plug the speakers back in. If the high voltage bias circuit is working, the panels should come to life, and the sound should change tremendously. If the sound does not change, then there is as good possibility that the high voltage bias circuit is not functioning, and will need repair or replacement.

HTH,
Peter

Agreed here. Also you can swap the panels to find out if it is a bad panel or a faulty power supply. To do this, you have to remove the wooden rails with the aid of a rubber hammer. Lay down on its back, putting a pillow under the speaker connectors. Hit the top of the rails until they move about one inch. Take off both rails. The panel is secured by velcro on top and bottom only. The grill of the woofer is secured by some adhesive at the bottom of the panel. Just remove it with care. Once you have removed the grill, then move the stat panel a little bit to top, and unscrew three cables. Watch the colors (blue, Red, Black). Inspect the solder joints at the panels. Sometimes there is a faulty joint solder problem. If everything looks fine, swap the panels, reverse the assembling and listen. If you have the bad panel working now, then the power supply is the problem. If you have the same panel without working, then it is the panel... Hope this can help a little...happy listening,
Roberto.

Last edited:
Back