Scenario vs. Clarity ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akm3

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out where the Scenario places in the ML line up.

Did the Clarity replace the Scenario like the Aeon replaced the Aerius or the Summit replaced the Prodigy?

Or, are they in different grades for price and sonics? If so, which one is the 'superior' speaker? I'd assume the Clarity because it is newer, but newer isn't always better.

Also, for a home theater setup, how do people feel about using Scenarios (or Clarities) as the front stage, because your going to be using a subwoofer anyway and don't need full range speakers?

Last question: Do the bigger ML panels give you wider dispersion then the smaller ones? I thought they were all 30 degrees. If they are all 30", then you would get the same soundstage / imaging covering for all your HT seats, having to worry only about the vertical dispersion if you do risers or something, correct?

Thanks!

I'm a former owner of Aerius speakers looking to get back into the glorious ML sound =D

-Allen

akm3 said:
I'm trying to figure out where the Scenario places in the ML line up.

Did the Clarity replace the Scenario like the Aeon replaced the Aerius or the Summit replaced the Prodigy?

Or, are they in different grades for price and sonics? If so, which one is the 'superior' speaker? I'd assume the Clarity because it is newer, but newer isn't always better.

Also, for a home theater setup, how do people feel about using Scenarios (or Clarities) as the front stage, because your going to be using a subwoofer anyway and don't need full range speakers?

Last question: Do the bigger ML panels give you wider dispersion then the smaller ones? I thought they were all 30 degrees. If they are all 30", then you would get the same soundstage / imaging covering for all your HT seats, having to worry only about the vertical dispersion if you do risers or something, correct?

Thanks!

I'm a former owner of Aerius speakers looking to get back into the glorious ML sound =D

-Allen
Hola Allen...all depends of your liking and money to spend. Let's assume that you are going to buy a Mercedes Benz, it is not the same to buy a Class C compared to the 600S, right? It is the same thing with ML speakers. When you are driving a Mercedes, no matter which model is, you do know that it is a good car. Different models will give you different feeling, more space, more comfort, better suspension, better view, better brakes, better stability, etc. It is the same thing if you compare the Scenario Versus the Summits. In ML goods, starting with the smallest model, quality is always present. Bigger models will give you definitively bigger and better sound. The specifications are just a guide, and the sound dispersion varies from one model to another. Not necessary bigger panel means also more dispersion...the new technology of the Summits and the Vantage, have better dispersion and efficiency better than the previous models, in other words, better speakers too. Don't worry about the specs, just trust your ears, and enjoy the one that you liked most, or can afford, too :D . (I would like to have the Evolu.2, but I can't afford them :eek: :eek: )...happy listening, and remember: trust your ears!
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Last edited:
I appreciate your response, but I don't think I got my question to the heart of what I meant.

Mercedes sells a lot of models of cars, and they are reputable to have quality throughout. Yes.

They sell some SUV's (Subwoofers) and some roadsters (speakers)

Within their sedans, they have the C series.

Are the Clarity and Scenario both part of the C series, the Clarity having replaced the Scenario, *or* is one in the "S" series and one in the "C" series, and if so, which one is the 'higher luxury" of the two?

Wow that seems lots more complicated, but in the terms of your analogy hopefully it makes sense.

I don't have an easy way to listen to ML's (much less discontinued models like the scenario) so I can't just choose which one sounds better.

All I have is the memory of how they used to sound in Magnolia Hi-Fi (closed down in my town) and the memory of owning the Aerius.

Next closest dealer is a 5 hour drive.

-Allen

The right stuff

You are right.The clarity did replace the scenario and so did the others you mentioned.I am using my scenarios for the left/right front in a home theater setup,and I think that they work real well.I have a fresco for my center,2 vignettes for the rears and a grotto for the sub which DEFINENTLY compliments the scenarios well.Also I have a pair of montages that I substitute with the scenarios every now and then so they don't get rusted :) .The system sounds real well,music and home theater.

akm3 said:
I appreciate your response, but I don't think I got my question to the heart of what I meant.

Mercedes sells a lot of models of cars, and they are reputable to have quality throughout. Yes.

They sell some SUV's (Subwoofers) and some roadsters (speakers)

Within their sedans, they have the C series.

Are the Clarity and Scenario both part of the C series, the Clarity having replaced the Scenario, *or* is one in the "S" series and one in the "C" series, and if so, which one is the 'higher luxury" of the two?

Wow that seems lots more complicated, but in the terms of your analogy hopefully it makes sense.

I don't have an easy way to listen to ML's (much less discontinued models like the scenario) so I can't just choose which one sounds better.

All I have is the memory of how they used to sound in Magnolia Hi-Fi (closed down in my town) and the memory of owning the Aerius.

Next closest dealer is a 5 hour drive.

-Allen
Hola Allen. Got your point, think I did...Clarity is a better version of the Scenario. It has an Aluminum woofer, and vented speaker cabinet. The panel is the new micro-perf and also has a tweeter for natural ambience control...(NAC). It is a totally re-design from the Scenario model. Also has the same panel size as the Scenario. On the other hand, the Scenario, even that they are a descontinnued model, if you compare them against cone speakers of the same price category, they are a trully winners in transparency, size of the musical instruments and air between to them,and the sound stage. Voices are the best and solo instruments. I could live very happy with the sound of the Scenarios. Again, here it is matter of liking. AllI say is trust your ears and choose the one that you like most...happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

akm3 said:
Next closest dealer is a 5 hour drive

Just a quick road trip for a true Martin Logan Owner :D

BTW, I drove 9.5 hours each way when I bought my CLSIIz's, and 8 hours each way when I bought my Plinius Amp - yeah, my wife thinks I am nuts - but man do I have great sound and every hour I spent on the road was worth it.

Plan a day around it, have the store ready for your arrival, and enjoy your day of audio auditioning and a possible purchase.

Dan

Sub with Clarity's

Regarding your question about a sub to complement the Clarity's (or Scenarios), I recommend budgetting for that. I tried my Clarity's alone at first, and they seemed a bit thin with some music. I added an REL Strata III, and they opened up very nicely.

Regarding listening, I'm with you on the drive. If you are buying used, you can always resell if you decide you don't like them. The market appears pretty strong for all ML models on audiogon. If you don't like them, you are only out shipping (which is probably about equal to 10 hrs driving these days!).

Latest posts

Back