Say goodbye to Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope this doesn't go like DVD audio and Super Audio. :(

Sony's Ken Kutaragi spoke with Nikkei Electronics and confirmed that the negotiations have ended. Sony had wanted to avoid another VHS/Betamax war by working with Toshiba and the other HD-DVD backers, but any chance of that seems to impossible now. Both formats will now see release towards the end of the year with the general populace left to decide each format's fate.

Check out the full story over at www.gamesindustrybiz.org.
-- Chris Roper

_

When will they ever learn....

Mass market acceptance with hardware and software is the key.
It looks like MP3's might be the future of audio....

HDDVD's will eventualy catch on with universal players/recorders priced below $500 bit it will still take a while.

Things may or may not change now. Sony has a new CEO, Howard Stringer, with a background in their entertainment/movies division. He's also their first non-Japanese CEO, dual citizenship British and USA. One of his goals is to bring the consumer electronics and entertainment groups closer together - historically a sore point at Sony.

"We cannot fight battles on every front," Stringer said after Sony's annual shareholders' meeting in Tokyo, according to Reuters. "We have to make choices, and that is why this summer we will get together and decide what the company's priorities ought to be."

<http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=95255>

Here's my take. Sony can't back out of Blu-Ray now. It is too close to launch and they have signed too many contracts and gotten too much support. You cannot just walk away from your supporters if you expect to launch anything again in the future.

What they can do is be ready with software and hardware to immediately jump on the HD-DVD bandwagon if that format takes off. I think that is the approach that Sony will take.

Honestly what do they have to lose? PS3 is going to sell a million units in its first week in North America alone. That is going to be 1 million Blu-Ray devices in the hands of consumers. They are most likely going to launch in March and they would be stupid not to have a big giant sticker that says "This devices supports High Definition movies in the Blu-Ray format." HD-DVD cannot even begin to hope move that much hardware in so short a period of time. Lastly the PS3 demographic is definitely young adult. That's the hippest demographic on the planet with an eye for new technology.

Don't believe me? Then consider the newest available media format, the UMD format for the handheld PSP. This format has surprised everyone with its success with movie content. Studios are now rushing to put their movies on UMD because the first wave of content has quickly sold beyond expectations.

Some very valid points there.

What sort of connections will the PS3 have to output HD?

Will it still have component outputs for HD signals (please please!!!)

Will it have DVI or HDMI???

Duel HDMI ports.

The specs are not final, but what we know right now. You will be able to out put HD-games from component and HDMI ports, but only HDMI will work for Blu-Ray movies.

Last edited:
PS3 is capable of 1080p, which no current display is capable of yet. But just as the PS2 was not a great standalone DVD player (picture wise and interface wise) I will say that PS3 will probably not be as good as a standalone Blu-Ray player but with specs like this it may not matter as much. Picture wise at least.

socialxray said:
PS3 is capable of 1080p, which no current display is capable of yet. But just as the PS2 was not a great standalone DVD player (picture wise and interface wise) I will say that PS3 will probably not be as good as a standalone Blu-Ray player but with specs like this it may not matter as much. Picture wise at least.

What do you mean no displays as of yet can do native 1080P? Sony’s Qualia 004 front projector and 006 rear projection displays are native 1920X1080P, as well as some JVC DILA units and LCOS displays. Granted that all of them are 10 to 30 grand, and not very practical, Sony is working on lower priced SXRD displays in the $5000.00 range, that should see the light of day by the end of this year. We should see a large selection of new displays running 1080P rez, including LCDs and DLPs at these years CEDIA in September.

I did get to see the Sony Qualia 006 at my local dealer, and it is breathtaking! 1080P is truly the holy grail of resolutions. A few years back I read an article that said when 1080 becomes a reality it would be like making the jump from 480 to 720 all over again. I would say yes its true. I warn you if you don’t want to buy a new TV don’t go see one.

Zip3kx07 said:
Duel HDMI ports.

The specs are not final, but what we know right now. You will be able to out put HD-games from component and HDMI ports, but only HDMI will work for Blu-Ray movies.

Arrrrggggggg......

My first gen Sharp Z9000 DLP is only component and VGA in.
Maybe it will be time to move on to a new projector in a couple of years. :mad: I just got a new bulb a few months ago and have been amazed with the image difference.

I must say that 1080i and 720p look amazing already. I can't imaging the difference with 1080P !!!!!

EricE said:
Arrrrggggggg......

My first gen Sharp Z9000 DLP is only component and VGA in.
Maybe it will be time to move on to a new projector in a couple of years. :mad: I just got a new bulb a few months ago and have been amazed with the image difference.

I must say that 1080i and 720p look amazing already. I can't imaging the difference with 1080P !!!!!

At this time the only connection available for HD-DVD is DVI/HDMI with HDCP copy protection. The movie industry is demanding full encryption for HD-DVD’s to stop bootlegging movies, so this has thrown component video out the window for now.

Zip3kx07 said:
At this time the only connection available for HD-DVD is DVI/HDMI with HDCP copy protection. The movie industry is demanding full encryption for HD-DVD’s to stop bootlegging movies, so this has thrown component video out the window for now.

I knew it would come to this eventually..... :(

At least I'll have a couple of years before I switch over.

HD-DVD In Trouble As Blu-ray Gains

HD-DVD In Trouble As Blu-ray Gains The Hollywood Reporter is reporting

that HD-DVD’s pre-Christmas release might not make as big of a splash as once thought. The high-definition disc format backed by Toshiba suffered a loss of support from 20th Century Fox last week and The Reporter is suggesting that the other two Hollywood studios now backing HD-DVD are getting wedding day jitters.

HD-DVD has some distinct advantages, including a superior name. Everyone in the world knows what a DVD is. They also know what HDTV is. The marriage of the two is a natural. One thing that consumers find unnatural and even repulsive is the idea of a format war and it seems Hollywood studio execs have learned their lessons from the Beta-VHS and SACD-DVD-Audio battles. In the SACD-DVD-Audio battle, consumers and entertainment executives learned it is possible for all parties involved to lose. Consumers hold the power and they want one HDTV disc format and they will spend for it.

The process of getting a movie from its archive to a Blu-ray or HD-DVD disc isn’t rocket science. Movies are normally stored on D-5 master tapes and require a relatively simple down-conversion to get to an accepted HDTV format like 720p or 1080i. The audio for most movies made after 1990 or movies that have been released on DVD is mixed for 5.1 home theater systems. Mixing and audio mastering houses can fine-tune soundtracks for movies in surround in a matter of weeks. All of this adds up to a likely pre-holiday launch for one or both formats.

Now is the time the Blu-ray camp needs to make friends and influence people at Toshiba and the HD-DVD group. Months ago, there were talks to merge the two formats. Because the next generation Playstation is based on Blu-ray, that format folding was unlikely. Now they have the momentum. Perhaps for a taste of the royalty stream, Toshiba and friends will join forces with Sony and the Blu-ray camp. It is what consumers want and they have their Platinum cards cocked and loaded to pump more money into the system than the studios have ever seen before.

www.Audiorevolution.com

Back