Saw the Summits and Vantages today.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruppy

Reaction score
I had a Dr. appointment today so I took off from work a little early to stop off at a dealer near where I needed to go (Alma's in Royal Oak). They had a pair of Summits in black ash and flat Aluminium/grey pannels with a pair of Vantages in, I think, dark cherry with Aluminum/grey pannels (I think) right next to them. The Vantages weren't connected to anything and the Summits were set up with a bunch of McIntosh stuff.

Like a number of other forum members, I was a little concerned about the new design style. After seeing them up close, I like them a lot more. For those of you that do not like or are on the fence over the look you need to see them in person. What supprised me even more was the size or lack there of. I was expecting something bordering huge, but they both seem to be in general not too much bigger than Aeons (pannel size looks bigger).

The unfortunate part of this was that I was not able to spend any time listening to them :mad: . I was a little short on time and I'm sure that if I started playing something, I might still be there now :rolleyes: .

Hay kruppy,
Would it be possible for you or anyone else that has a dealer with the Summit/Vantage in aluminum trim to take a photo and post it here? I have yet to he a pair with the aluminum.

Also you need to hear what the summit can do, it sounds just as good as it looks if not better. :D

Oh man, I wish I knew you wanted to see photos. That dealer is about 45mins to an hour away and I don't get down in that area too often. If I do in the near future I'll be happy to take some photos. The matte aluminum look is very nice.

Kruppy said:
Oh man, I wish I knew you wanted to see photos. That dealer is about 45mins to an hour away and I don't get down in that area too often. If I do in the near future I'll be happy to take some photos. The matte aluminum look is very nice.

Thanks Kruppy,

The only pair I saw was the basic black. I am still waiting to see the aluminum finish.

Zip3kx07 said:
Thanks Kruppy,

The only pair I saw was the basic black. I am still waiting to see the aluminum finish.

Joe,

My tweeter has the Summits in aluminum and black.. I'll try to take a pic once I visit.

Give me 2 weeks, got exams coming up.

Joey

Joey_V said:
My tweeter has the Summits in aluminum and black.. I'll try to take a pic once I visit. Give me 2 weeks, got exams coming up.
Dude...Prioities man, priorities...Now get down to the dealer and get us those pictures. :D

Just kidding...good luck on the exams...

Dan

Hey Joe, i'll be at a Sound advice tomorrow with camera in had. I'll let you know what they have.

One of the Tweeters stores in Dallas has a pair of very light maple (I think) with a black panel. So does the local audiophile emporium (High End Audio and Theater). Talk about differences in sound! The Tweeters is demoing the Summits and Vantages with receivers and modest digital front ends in home theater setups. HEAT is demoing with Classe monoblocks and preamp, Classes new and great sounding CD/DVD player, A VPI analog setup and hideously expensive interconnects and powercords all around. Guess which setup has better sound! Based on the Tweeter setup I would not consider upgrading my current speakers but after hearing the Summits at HEAT and another high end store in Austin I'm convinced they represent the best bang for the buck currently available in speakers, and are so much prettier to look at than my Apogees. The irony in all of this is that I will probably have to purchase mine from Tweeters since I have a credit card and they offer financing. What a sad state of economic affairs for high end dealers. I just don't know how they stay in business!

You're right, it is sad that the more knowledgeable, high-end audio dealer who works harder at properly demoing the speakers may lose out on the deal because of a financing program. However, that high-end dealer should make themselves competitive by working a financing package deal with their bank to stay competitive.

The Summits do sound awesome and I know I have yet to hear thier full potential becuase of issues with my room acoustics. I plan to work on that but it'll have to be done in a way that is also aesthically pleasing since it is our living room.

tonyc said:
One of the Tweeters stores in Dallas has a pair of very light maple (I think) with a black panel.

BTW, how did the maple look like in person?

Last edited:
What a joke

Zip3kx07 said:
Cool, thanks Chris.
Hey Joe, i went to the Sound Advice in Naples, Fl. today and these guys , i'm telling you. First I call them to see if they had the Summit on display, they said yes. Then i ask what color was it? Black with Aluminium panels. Great. I was going in that direction anyway. I get there with camera in hand, i go to all the rooms no Summit. I ask the salesman he checks and tells me it's in the warehouse. But, he tells me there is one on display in Sarasota. Yeah, thanks. Sorry Joe, couldn't come through for you.

chris03053 said:
Hey Joe, i went to the Sound Advice in Naples, Fl. today and these guys , i'm telling you. First I call them to see if they had the Summit on display, they said yes. Then i ask what color was it? Black with Aluminium panels. Great. I was going in that direction anyway. I get there with camera in hand, i go to all the rooms no Summit. I ask the salesman he checks and tells me it's in the warehouse. But, he tells me there is one on display in Sarasota. Yeah, thanks. Sorry Joe, couldn't come through for you.

It's all good Chris, Thanks for trying. :)

Chris,
It's not likely that any of the Sound Advice stores have any Summits on display in Florida. I just bought a pair and they had to order them. There were none in any of the Florida stores at the time. Two weeks later a pair showed up in Orlando and they shipped those to me. If you happen to be in Tampa you're welcome to stop by and listen to my ML systems.

Joey, I thought the maple was beautiful. That said it is too light for my more or less oak floor and furniture. Understand that any description I give you is dubious since I am colorblind! I am struggling whether to get a light colored wood or just go black like I did with my other ML's.

Piano Black...

tonyc said:
Joey, I thought the maple was beautiful. That said it is too light for my more or less oak floor and furniture. Understand that any description I give you is dubious since I am colorblind! I am struggling whether to get a light colored wood or just go black like I did with my other ML's.
tonyc,

IMHO Piano Black looks "Tres Chic" and goes with anything elegantly with style and grace. ;)

Craig said:
Chris,
It's not likely that any of the Sound Advice stores have any Summits on display in Florida. I just bought a pair and they had to order them. There were none in any of the Florida stores at the time. Two weeks later a pair showed up in Orlando and they shipped those to me. If you happen to be in Tampa you're welcome to stop by and listen to my ML systems.
Thanks for the invite Craig.

Back