Sand and Sequels?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

gaffman

Just saw a post on ebay for a set of Sequels with 50 lbs. of sand in each woofer box. Anyone else heard of this tweak? Tried it? Results?

gaffman said:
Just saw a post on ebay for a set of Sequels with 50 lbs. of sand in each woofer box. Anyone else heard of this tweak? Tried it? Results?

A common tweak for a lot of speakers to deaden and solidify the base. I owned a pair of Sonique (Australia) speakers that were factory filled with sand before my MLs. Not sure how the ML cabinet would stand up to it though - with all the electronics!.

gaffman said:
This is the same ad that says his Sequels were originally 4800 dollars... LOL! He obviously has no clue.

If he paid $4800 for his Sequels I have a few things I'd like to sell him!! Having never taken the woofers out of my Sequel cabinets I wasn't sure exactly how the sand idea would work. Or if it would work.

I've heard of people putting lead shot or other weighted objects on TOP of the woofer section. I have a small bag of sand and a weight on top of my SL3s.

I have never heard of or would recommend putting sand inside the enclosure. Sounds like a recipe for a mess at minimum.

I would hesitate to put anything inside a woofer cabinet that would change the original internal volume. A precise internal volume is a key element in the design of the speaker and any changes to it would likely screw up the sound.

It will sound "different," but "different" is not likely to be "better."

Cheers,
Tom

Back