Sad News...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Sorry for not posting for a while... been VERY busy with clinical rotations and studying... but it's going by and I'll be graduating soon, so it's all worth it!

Anyway, onto the bad news.

Yes.. I have to sell the Summits.

No... it's not because I found another pair of speakers that rock my cajones and it's not because I'm upgrading to the new pair of SUPER Summits that ML probably has plans of releasing in the next year....

I'm selling because my grandpa has glaucoma and cataracts, bilaterally (both eyes). He is not a citizen of the country (he's visiting) so he isnt covered by any insurance. He needs surgery and it costs a little upwards $6,000+. It's an outpatient surgery so there shouldnt be any hospital admission stay.

I figured, I'll be able to get another pair within a year or two... so might as well help my grandpa out in the meantime.

It was a hard decision.. dream speakers are in my grasp, but I'll lose them for now. I bet it's only temporary anyway... I'm sure I'll be back in full gear before I know it.

I'll be around guys... :( .

My Heart Goes Out To You and Your Family...

Joey,

Sorry to hear about your Grandpa's condition but you are doing the right thing. I agree family comes first. I wish your Grandpa, your family and yourself the best during the surgery and recovery. You are a good grandson without question... ;)

Take care Joey.

Well chosen Joey

Life is transitory. You are choosing an honorable path that will bring you greater rewards both now and in the future. I'm sure that many of us are keeping you and your family in our thoughts. All the best!

Who says the youth in this country dosen't care ! Bravo young man, I'm sure your family is proud !!

That's just a great gesture and sacrifice on your part! You'll be blessed for it in the future.

Joey,
You are a honorable man and in years to come you will still feel you did the right thing. Do not look back but forward to your grandfather health improving. He is something you cannot replace. Enjoy him and the time you share which is worth more than any material wealth you may attain in life.
There will be other "Summits" in your future.

Lchaim, to life my friend!

Jeff :cool:

Joey_V, you are selling for a most worthy cause, Jeff Zaret already said it better than I can. Best wishes, George/kach22i.

I am a "senior" citizen and have had artifical lens for both of eyes for cataracts. They have worked very well fro quite some time.

Give your grandfather our best and good luck.

Joel

You 'da man Joey...

While you may be losing your Summits, it is GOOD NEWS you have them available to sell to help out your family.

For your actions, you should get the Roberto Clemente Award for the Martin Logan Owners Site.

Bummer

Joey,

Sorry to hear about your Grandpa and the loss of the Summits. I know it is only a temporary setback, though. Soon you will be making the big bucks and looking for a pair of Statements! I wish my best to you and your grandpa.

Very commendable Joey. Hope everything works out.

As a side note, I'm in my twenties too. I think I (and others in our generation) can learn from your maturity.

Joey for president

I am very, very happy and proud to be part of a community attended by people like you, Joey.
I, too, have elderly relatives from abroad visiting every year (my in-laws) and I can understand better than you might immagine what you feel and what you do. Fortunately they are in quite good shape, fortunately my wife is a MD and can help, too. On the sunny side of things, this year they went back to their country with a full home theater system bought new by me, in 2 suitcases: one with a universal CD-DVD player and the amplifier, the other one with a subwoofer, 5 speakers and lots of cabling... :)

Joey,

Sorry to hear about your Grandpa.
Hope everything works out for you.

Good luck.

Chris

Thanks for the well wishes everybody!

It means a lot... for sure.

But dont fret, it's only temporary. Before I know it, I'm sure I'll have another pair of Summits or the next big thing in my living room before you know it.

It's been a great 6 months with the Summits though, these are truly spectacular speakers. They have not only shown to me how music reproduction should be done, but they have taught me so much about audio that I feel that I've come quite a long way in my understanding of this hobby of ours. The Summits have opened my eyes to the next level of audio and it is because I owned the Summits that I was motivated to audition other great speakers - like Wilson Sophia/WP7/Maxx2, the Sonus Faber Cremona, the BW 802D, AudioPhysic Tempo IV, Avalon Eidolon... etc....

I'm glad I was part of this forum of ours, met a lot of cool people, taught people a few things, learned a lot from others.... and I even became the moderator of the Timeline Section down below (Tom, I promised I would revamp it... give me some time and I'll get it done).

It's been a wild ride.. quite a hobby we have going here.

It's amazing how many people associate me and the Summits with such passion. I cant tell you how many emails I've gotten from people who dont frequent the MLO site, telling me how sad it is to see the Summit and I part ways.

It's been great guys....

But mark my words.... I'll be back.

:)

Last edited:
Back