SACD and/or DVD-A with SB3 and TP?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcl

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
I asked this near the end of another thread, but I think it deserves its own.

First, I have to admit I'm an absolute novice at creating, loading, and using a computer based music library. Heck, even after 35+ years in the computer business, I've never even 'ripped' a music CD. It doesn't scare me or anything like that, I've just never had a need for it. But that's changing now, and I've decided to give it a strong chance, using either a Squeezebox/DAC or a Transporter to play from the library.

After quite some time researching, I'm starting to get a pretty good feel for how I need to put this together. However, I'm still not clear about how (if?) SACD and DVD-A fits in. Can these be ripped like any other CD on my computer? Do I need any special CD/DVD reader for this? Given that I can do it, is the added musical quality present? Inquiring minds (well, at least mine) want to know.

You cannot rip true SACDs to a computer, you can get the regular CD ripped off of a hybrid SACD though.

DVD-A can be ripped off with software and a DVD-ROM drive.

I don't believe SACD or DVD-A can be ripped to a hard disk, then streamed with a Squeezebox/Transporter. However, I'm sure there are some hackers out there trying to figure out a way to do that. There have probably been discussions about that on the Slimdevices (or Hydrogenaudio) forums.

On the other hand, XRCD's, which tend to be better "audiophile" quality recordings, *DO* follow the Redbook CD standard, and therefore *CAN* be ripped and streamed back. Unfortunately, there are only a scant number of XRCD titles available.

I don't believe SACD or DVD-A can be ripped to a hard disk, then streamed with a Squeezebox/Transporter. However, I'm sure there are some hackers out there trying to figure out a way to do that. There have probably been discussions about that on the Slimdevices (or Hydrogenaudio) forums.

On the other hand, XRCD's, which tend to be better "audiophile" quality recordings, *DO* follow the Redbook CD standard, and therefore *CAN* be ripped and streamed back. Unfortunately, there are only a scant number of XRCD titles available.

They've figured out DVD-A... I promise ;)

SACD is a problem because there are no SACD-ROM drives or digital outs on most if not all SACD players.

IIRC the SACD standard does not allow digital outputs at all, part of Sony's effort to stop online piracy.

IIRC the SACD standard does not allow digital outputs at all, part of Sony's effort to stop online piracy.
I wondered why all of the SACD players I looked at either didn't have a digital out or, if they did, it was specifically stated there was no signal when an SACD was played. That certainly explains it.

I wondered why all of the SACD players I looked at either didn't have a digital out or, if they did, it was specifically stated there was no signal when an SACD was played. That certainly explains it.

I also wondered why the "i" link for the Pioneer units didn't do SACD and now I know! Thanks Risabet!

With a better understanding now, I did some net searching for an SACD player that might have a digital out. I found the OPPO DV970HD, which is a 'universal' player that supposedly has a supported firmware hack that allows PCM from a SACD to go out over the HDMI connector. This thing is only $149, too, but if you can get the digital out does it matter? Even if this is the case, though, what I can't see is how you could get this to a computer to create, say, a FLAC file.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Ok, I think I'm about to give up on SACD. Sony's specifying that this format can only have analog output has done what the suits wanted, which is give them complete control over it. It doesn't look like you can easily get the digital output from an SACD.

So what are the alternatives? I saw it mentioned in one of the forums (I've done so much net searching the last few days, I don't remember which one) that although digital out from SACD is a problem, getting it from DVD-A is not. I guess I'll start looking into that. Darnit, all I want to be able to do is get SACD/DVD-A quality sound from a music server to my Summits. Is that too much to ask?

Well, thinking about that, perhaps it is. I could be that I'm just being too much of an 'old fogey' because I like the things that I purchase to be tangible? Heck, today's generation couldn't care less. To them, downloading musc from the net is the 'obvious' way to do things. Look at how iTunes and its ilk have decimated the music CD industry. With folks like Linn Records starting to provide downloadable "Studio Quality" music, maybe the long term answer it to just wait for this sort of thing to be common. After all, the emerging generation as a music market will demand it.

That still doesn't address my original problem though. I'll just keep looking for a solution. I just hope its an affordable one. ;)

Ok, I think I'm about to give up on SACD. Sony's specifying that this format can only have analog output has done what the suits wanted, which is give them complete control over it. It doesn't look like you can easily get the digital output from an SACD.

So what are the alternatives? I saw it mentioned in one of the forums (I've done so much net searching the last few days, I don't remember which one) that although digital out from SACD is a problem, getting it from DVD-A is not. I guess I'll start looking into that. Darnit, all I want to be able to do is get SACD/DVD-A quality sound from a music server to my Summits. Is that too much to ask?

I think I might have missed something here... The six "analog" RCA outputs that you need to get SACD to your receiver produce a signal as good or better than any of the proprietary single cables that you find for DVD-A. If you want SACD to enjoy just hook up the big bundle of wires and be done with it... You will love the resolution you get with that format.

I think I might have missed something here... The six "analog" RCA outputs that you need to get SACD to your receiver produce a signal as good or better than any of the proprietary single cables that you find for DVD-A. If you want SACD to enjoy just hook up the big bundle of wires and be done with it... You will love the resolution you get with that format.
I agree with you if I just wanted to play it. But what I'm trying to figure out is how to 'rip' an SACD or DVD-A into a file while maintaining all of that additional resolution. Once I can do that, I should be able to enter it into my SlimServer database, and then play it on demand via a Squeezebox or Transporter. But to do the ripping, there first has to be a way to get the digital stream from the SACD or DVD-A.

You can stream any file using the SB3/transporter but once it gets there you must pass the digital signal to a pre/pro that can decode the signal since the SB3/T does not support this format. This means that you would have to hook up to the i-link/denon-link/whatever to stream the digital signal. This cannot be done because the SB3/Transporter does not interface with these connects. Also it is more than just a simple matter of fitting an adapter since I believe there is an electronic handshake involved.

You can however rip the DD/DTS tracks that come with most DVD-As and stream those to the pre/pro since these signals can travel along a coaxial cable or optical cable and the SB3/T has a set of both. Of course the SB3/T will not be able to decode this signal so it must be sent to the pre/pro via the digital connection. You will get the entire signal. Surrounds and all.

Check the forums at slimdevices.com for more information.

Last edited:
Nothings ever simple, is it. Another great idea shot down by some ugly facts. Sigh.

Check the forums at slimdevices.com for more information.

Yeah, I've been pouring over that forum (among many others) trying to get a better understanding of this. My overall impression is that all of this is still new enough to be in flux. It will certainly settle down eventually, its just a question of how long that will be.

Back