Running Audyssey when biamping speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert D

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
When I get my prodigy panels back ,I plan on trying biamping the speakers. Using my Aragon 2 channel amp for the panels and then my Marantz receiver for the woofers. Im going to see if it sounds better then just running it all on the Aragon.

Will Audyssey be able to control the output settings of the Aragon and the receiver both going to the front channels? I'm thinking they will both need their own settings, not the same.

I would think that the receiver is listening to the front channels as a whole, so it should work out fine. However, if the gain on the Aragon is different than the built-in amp in the receiver, that may cause issues, with the receiver throwing in weird EQ curves to try and compensate for the top end and bottom end being somewhat "drastically" different output levels. Unless of course the receiver allows trimming levels of Ch 1 amplifier output separately from Ch 1 preamp output and so on with the other channel(s).

Im going to try setting it up first with just using the Aragon to power the entire speaker. Run Audyssey on that. I will then try biamping it on that Audyssey setting and see how it sounds. I will then leave it biamped and run Audyssey again, see how that sounds. So compare 3 different ways. Whatever way sounds best is what I will go with.

Im pretty sure that the level for each channel in the controls will influence both the amp and preamp output. Maybe when it senses that there are two outputs for front channel it will add another control? Id be surprised if it does.

Please beware that the difference between the amplifiers' topologies may result in misleading results even though Audyssey is working properly. The power supply and the amplifier circuitry in the receiver may not be as robustly designed as the Aragon. I am suspecting that the bass from the receiver may not be as taught (fast) to keep up with the Aragon for the frequencies near the overlapped region. In this case, the bass response may seem sluggish, giving you the wrong impression of bi-amping. Given that the panels are not that demanding, you may want to have a 4th configuration just to establish a baseline: receiver driving the panels and the Aragon driving the woofers.
In my opinion, the ideal pairing is to have tubes on the panels and a capable, musical amp like the Aragon on the woofers.

Please beware that the difference between the amplifiers' topologies may result in misleading results even though Audyssey is working properly. The power supply and the amplifier circuitry in the receiver may not be as robustly designed as the Aragon. I am suspecting that the bass from the receiver may not be as taught (fast) to keep up with the Aragon for the frequencies near the overlapped region. In this case, the bass response may seem sluggish, giving you the wrong impression of bi-amping. Given that the panels are not that demanding, you may want to have a 4th configuration just to establish a baseline: receiver driving the panels and the Aragon driving the woofers.
In my opinion, the ideal pairing is to have tubes on the panels and a capable, musical amp like the Aragon on the woofers.
I will see how it goes. Worst case scenario, I will go back to just using the Aragon alone on the speakers. They already sound good. Just trying an experiment to see if it sounds better. Im not using the 2 front channels on the Marantz. its this receiver.

https://www.us.marantz.com/en-US/shop/avreceivers/sr8012_m

Personally, I wouldn't do it myself. I would just use the Aragon. BTW, which Aragon? I used to have a 2004 Mk II back in the day on a pair of Maggie MGLR-1's, and that amp just sang away with those speakers. It's one of those amps I kick myself for selling.

Personally, I wouldn't do it myself. I would just use the Aragon. BTW, which Aragon? I used to have a 2004 Mk II back in the day on a pair of Maggie MGLR-1's, and that amp just sang away with those speakers. It's one of those amps I kick myself for selling.
They only have two. It is the dual channel 200 W each. The 8008.

Its not going to hurt anything to try it out. Just an experiment. It may sound better, hard to say.

http://www.aragonav.com/8008
Two of those monoblocks would be awesome!

They only have two.

Well I didn't know if you were running new or old amps.

Its not going to hurt anything to try it out.

No, it won't hurt anything.

Given that the panels are not that demanding

I disagree with that statement, as the panels have a more demanding, complex impedance swing than the woofers do, but it doesn't hurt to experiment and try the Marantz on the woofers, Aragon on the panels, then try the Aragon on the woofers, Marantz on the panels.

In the end, I still believe your best combo with just be the Aragon only powering the Prodigy's. That amp is stout. Not to mention you're already down 60 watts using the Marantz.

Well I didn't know if you were running new or old amps.

No, it won't hurt anything.

I disagree with that statement, as the panels have a more demanding, complex impedance swing than the woofers do, but it doesn't hurt to experiment and try the Marantz on the woofers, Aragon on the panels, then try the Aragon on the woofers, Marantz on the panels.

In the end, I still believe your best combo with just be the Aragon only powering the Prodigy's. That amp is stout. Not to mention you're already down 60 watts using the Marantz.
Just wondering if having the Aragon drive only the panels might sound better. Driving the woofers cant be too difficult for the receiver. I am also still waiting to get my panels back from Russ. The panels will sound different.

Back