Room treatments – part 2

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
room

How do you arrange your room when you listen to music i see no center chair in which to sit in for the sweet spot for music.

How do you arrange your room when you listen to music i see no center chair in which to sit in for the sweet spot for music.

Ah, but that’s the magic of a well treated room, one does not have a miniscule sweet spot.

I use the right (as looking at the rear view of the room) Ekorness on the dais to do all my listening from. It’s slightly off center, but I also set up the Audyssey room correction to have that as the prime position. So sound there is excellent.

The room is engineered for the sweet spot to be 19” further forward and about 14” to the right (looking forward) of where that seat is now. But that big CRT box gets in the way.

I’ll be replacing the CRT later this year with an overhead mounted digital projector and will regain several more seating positions.

...I’ll be replacing the CRT later this year with an overhead mounted digital projector and will regain several more seating positions...

OMG! Now we need to get psyched for Jon's video makeover! :D

Ah, but that’s the magic of a well treated room, one does not have a miniscule sweet spot.

I use the right (as looking at the rear view of the room) Ekorness on the dais to do all my listening from. It’s slightly off center, but I also set up the Audyssey room correction to have that as the prime position. So sound there is excellent.

Jonathan,

Burke's new room is AWESOME, but the sweetspot is fairly small. I wonder if it's because it's a small room and/ or the panels on the Summits are smaller than on your Monolith.

Also, I am still trying to get a concrete understanding of what the Audyssey does. What does your room sound like without the Audyssey? What does it sound like with the Audyssey?

Thanks

:confused: TomDac was right - we need to keep this young lad away from the port.

Pssssst... it's a Pink Floyd track, Bernard!

It's just that Mr Fo's room looks a bit like the inside of a spaceship to me.

Port? Could do with a glass actually, but it's a sober Friday night for me:(

Pssssst... it's a Pink Floyd track, Bernard!
You guessed it - I don't listen to rock at all.
Port? Could do with a glass actually, but it's a sober Friday night for me:(
A sober Friday night could mean only one thing - you are dialing in your TT. Either that, or you just read the passage from Shakespeare that begins, "If drink be the equivocator of love", and have other designs. ;)

Also, I am still trying to get a concrete understanding of what the Audyssey does. What does your room sound like without the Audyssey? What does it sound like with the Audyssey?

Thanks

Without: Harsh, lumpy bass, fuzzy timing, generally sucky sound.

With Audyssey: Smooth, better bass and clearer highs. Timing is superb, every note is just where it needs to be. Soundstage is enormous.

With Dynamic EQ: balanced bass and extended highs, like when listening at higher SPL, but at any SPL now.

I never, I repeat, never listen without Audyssey + Dynamic EQ

So a great room, plus good acoustic treatments, plus big set of ML’s, plus lots of great amplification, plus superb preamp, plus Audyssey Pro & Dynamic EQ = best audio I’ve ever heard

Not a simple formula, but it works ;)

So what is Audyssey?

Audyssey is a room corrector that combines:
  • Phase-linear frequency domain correction
  • Time domain correction – not just between speakers, but within a speaker. It corrects for intra-speaker phase errors.
  • Volume-relative EQ mapping (DynamicEQ)

Using the Pro setup software, I take measurements at over 10 positions (resulting in over 130 individual speaker measurements) and the system integrates these samples and selects spatially averaged and idealized corrections in the dimensions listed above.
These corrections are also done to achieve a selected target curve. These curves either follow industry standard ‘small room’ curves, or can be modified by the user to suit their tastes and / or equipment.

It does this using Finite Impulse Response convolution of source and correction impulse responses.

It’s pretty advanced and the system is very effective when correctly deployed.

Audyssey is guaranteed to provide a greater improvement than any amp or cable ever would, just like room treatments. And when combined, they will transform your listening experience.

My Descent is on it's way, which I hope will compliment my Summits nicely. To ensure they all play nice together I'll be recalibrating with my Integra 9.9 using the Audyssey DynamicEQ.

But to optimize the soundstage, I'm also starting to map out room treatments... probably not as alaborate as your XStatic HT... but definitely standing on your shoulders ;)

Jonathan's visit a few weeks ago is helping me stimulate the economy :mad: :D

But is also making my investments more enjoyable :music::bowdown:

maybe the best HT ive seen based on the acoustics employed!

wow that is fantastic! i really like your room, and love the idea of that much treatment. once you hear the difference it becomes addictive to add add add! no such thing as to much bass trapping! and you are so right in regard to a properly treated room having a larger sweet spot. i really like your room, nice work. i would love to hear it.

Just realized I'd yet to post the diagram for all the acoustic treatments and where they go in the room. So here it is:

HTRoom_AcousticTreatmentsPlacement.jpg

Last edited:
2020 Updates to pics, showing new projector and slight re-arrangement of sidewall treatments along the back row.

HT Front 2020.jpg

HT Front3qtr view 2020.jpg

After 12+ years, these treatments are just what this room needs. So no more tweaking required. (<-- famous last words ;) )

looks good Jonathan ! as for the 'no more tweaking', what's the aspect ratio of your screen, looks to be 4:3 ? I'm not a Movie buff but isn't that old school television ?

looks good Jonathan ! as for the 'no more tweaking', what's the aspect ratio of your screen, looks to be 4:3 ? I'm not a Movie buff but isn't that old school television ?

Thanks Dave, and I get that question a lot. This theater is 20 years old, and that is an Acoustically Transparent (AT) Stewart StudioTek 130 screen (good stuff, and expensive) that was originally used with my Sony G70 CRT Projector for many moons (seen in prior shots), and back then, there was still some 4:3 content.
The reason it is still there is that it is tall enough to cover my 6' tall custom center channel with no obstructions. So I'm prioritizing audio performance vs looks.
Functionally, widescreen material looks fine, as the room is so dark, you can't see the 'white bars', as with no light, no white ;)

My plan is to eventually reconfigure the entire front stage with a huge 16:9 AT screen that would cover all three front channels and be tall enough to clear the center speaker, but I'm waiting on a Laser-illuminated light-canon to be priced reasonably (<$10K), as lighting up a 12' wide screen takes a lot of lumens.

Latest posts

Back