Room treatments – part 2

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jonathan,

The room is not quite done acoustically, as I have yet to hang about 8 or so traps from the ceiling.

I'm in the process of treating my room very similarly to the way you are treating yours.

I've got the jury out on whether or not I need ceiling traps. I would really love a before and after comparison on the ceiling treatments to determine the impact of the change.

BTW, sweet setup

jlo

timallen.jpg

Jonathan,

I'm in the process of treating my room very similarly to the way you are treating yours.

I've got the jury out on whether or not I need ceiling traps. I would really love a before and after comparison on the ceiling treatments to determine the impact of the change.

BTW, sweet setup

jlo

Hi John,

That's cool, please tell us more about your plans and room layout.

As for ceiling traps, I agree, I've left them for last as at least in the high-frequencies, I have no real problems there, since the ML's are directional line sources, not much makes it onto the ceiling (except indirectly via diffusion from objects in the room, so never underestimate what that coffee table in front of you is doing to the reflection of sound back into the room ;) )

But bass modes can be treated via ceiling mounted traps. Therfore careful calculations as well as measurements (to confirm high-pressure points) are required to correctly place.

I’ll document all that in Part 3 of the grand acoustics saga :)

sweet man-cave!

Thanks Tom, you're welcome to visit it any time you are in the area.

Somedays I think, man, I am a product of the 70's (when I was a teen), I just love them colored lights ;)

Just be glad a disco ball didn't make it into there :haha1:

BTW- For all you other 50-something boogie-boys, don't be tempted to put black-lights anywhere near a ML set. The Panels are UV sensitive (remember: keep away from sunlight) :p

Somedays I think, man, I am a product of the 70's (when I was a teen), I just love them colored lights

Dude, if that's the case, you should've put some Heathkit color-organs behind those back-lit panels!:rolleyes:
Great job on what you've done. I've got some inspiration for my own listening area!

Dude, if that's the case, you should've put some Heathkit color-organs behind those back-lit panels!:rolleyes:
Great job on what you've done. I've got some inspiration for my own listening area!

LOL! :ROFLMAO:

Yep, I built a set of those heathkits back in the day. Many other Heathkits as well; I've been a DIY'er for decades :eek:

Glad you like it, I’m hoping to see more ML-based dedicated rooms with good room treatment and design. Should be fun to see what others come up with.

Man , How did I miss this thred.:duh: That is as sweet as it gets . Now I know what you were referring to when I posted I need CLS panels. Actually its a sub woofer project I may be doing soon. That is as cool as hell. I do have some extra Quest panels. Jon You have taken it to a new level with that treatment. The integration and the use of the stators is outstanding . Its very visually appealing !GREAT JOB !

Man , How did I miss this thred.:duh: That is as sweet as it gets . Now I know what you were referring to when I posted I need CLS panels. Actually its a sub woofer project I may be doing soon. That is as cool as hell. I do have some extra Quest panels. Jon You have taken it to a new level with that treatment. The integration and the use of the stators is outstanding . Its very visually appealing !GREAT JOB !

Hi C.A.P., thanks man. I know you'd do justice to the woodworking aspects of a project like this.

It also is effective as room treatments. The sound is amazing and I wish I could share it with more of you.

Wow

That is just awesome!
what is cool is it looks like a great place to hang out and chill. that is what I am going for. those big monolith's look really cool in that room.:bowdown:

Panoramic full view

Finally did some image stitching and was able to get a full panoramic view:

HTStich_sml.jpg

Jonathan, a superb job to say the least ! If I'm ever in your area I'm gonna' invite myself over !

Thanks Dave, Always welcome to come on by, it would be a blast!

Brad, if you're going through ATL, drop me a PM.

I'm finishing up the ceiling treatments and some replacement side wall treatments (parallel to the rear seats and behind them).

Once those are done I'll post full pano's of all four views (front/rear/left side/right side) plus a few ceiling shots.

I'm borrowing a pro D-SLR for that, might even get the semi-pro photog to help ;)

Part 2.5

Well, we never know when to stop, we finally completed the four side panels that go next to the upper seating row.

This was going to be a pretty straightforward gig of using some OC 705 2" fiberglass, wrapping them in some cloth and mounting them to some ReadyAcoustics frames.

But noooo, this is me and my wife, who can't seem to stop ourselves from getting 'artsy' and complicated :p

So during prep, the artiste wife says, "hey, a band through the panel would look nicer than some big flat boring surface", and I go, "yeah, sure, sound cool".

So I gave her free reign (like I had a choice), and she came up with a cool idea; she put a series of yarns and sewed some colored stitching into the fabric to abstractly recall the measurement waves from all my speaker and room measurements.
This band was then spliced into the rest of the fabric and wrapped around the fiberglass. Backing is usual muslin fabric.

Once mounted in the frames, they look sharp, and then mounted on the wall and door, they look even better.

This week, we mounted two, and next week will finish up the other two.

Here’s the one on the wall opposite the door:

2x4 unit - Wall mounted.JPG

Jonathan, music/HT room is looking amazing. I would love to hear it some time.
Any chance of a panarama shot to show the other end of the room.

No problem, from my system info posts here are the rear views of the room:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Very very nice... Looks very warm and comfortable... OK... I need to get to Atlanta to 'experience' the DIY upgrades. :bowdown:

Back