Room treatment

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSCIVALLY

Reaction score
Hello I have just completed a 12x16x8 foot room for a dedicated 2 channel audio room. I am looking to get either ESL X’s or the 9’s for this room. There are VTL tube amps for power, and both analog and digital sources. I would like to know what and where to apply some acoustic treatment for the walls for this kind of speaker. This would be a work in progress and also where do I start first, the side walls then the front and corners then the back walls? Thank you.

tell us more ...... room furnishings, where do you plan on locating speakers (long or short wall), windows/doors, etc.
As for speaker choice pretty big difference between your two choices, have you had the opportunity to listen to both ?

Hello, the door is on short wall with equipment on the other short wall, there are no windows and there is an air conditioner on same wall as door.There will be one chair unless I have guest. I would like to know in what order I should install room treatment to get the most effect. My thinking would be side walls first then the wall that the equipment is on then the far wall that has the door and air conditioner on. Any thoughts?

floors carpeted ? room 'echoy' to begin with ?

given the one piece of furniture, at a min I'm thinking corner bass trapping(all four) and first point of reflection for starters.

Hopefully JonFo will chime in here, he's our resident acoustic guru !

I hope you haven't already shot your self in the foot (er ear). According to the science of acoustics your room should not be any dimensions divisible by 2 with an even resulting number. 12 16 8 is a good set for doubling frequencies. A better solution would be 11 x 15 x 8.
Reference "The Master Handbook of Acoustics" by F. Alton Everest. It may be in it's 4th edition by now. Good luck.

Well the inside dimensions are 15'6" by 11'6" with pad and carpet, the room resonance is about 35 hz and I would like to really find a way to reduce the effect in that frequency range as well as other room treatments, first reflection points, diffusors etc.

Hum, 35 is low enough that you will need a lot of large absorbers. Look to Real Traps Mondo traps. Two Mondo's stacked in each of the rear corners should fit in an 8' tall room.

But another option is to run dual subs, one centered on the front wall, one centered on the rear wall (with appropriate delay).

Back