Room Size vs Speaker Size

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sid

Reaction score
Currently building a new retirement home and downsizing but, for the first time I will have my own 2-channel stereo room. I'm not concerned with HT and all that implies. I am relegated to 16 x 14 x 9 room with one 14 wall with a 6 ft window. I will list my existing equipment as follows:

Samsung 65" OLED TV, McIntosh D150, MC275 MkVI (2), MCT450, MEN220. PS Audio M700 Mono Blocks, Node 2, Furman 1.5 IT Reference. ESL 9 and BF210 (2).

I will attempt to place all of this on the short wall with the window with the exception of the subs placed on the long wall.

Finally my question, if I purchase ESL 13's to replace the ESL 9's is this TOO MUCH speaker for such a small room? Any and all input would be well received.:rocker:

I’m not familiar with all you got but it seems to me the OLED needs to go
In some other room. All seems two channel except the panel. The other thing why this room. Does your new place have a basement ? I find the dirt surrounding the basement and the cement floor a big bonus that first or second floor can never or rarely pull off. If you have a basement and a little thought put in to the placement of the mechanicals you could have a larger room. Egress Windows can bring in natural light but on a wall that that makes more sense then the front or rear in your case. If not I do have some thoughts if this is your only choice of a room

Mike thanks for the input I value your experience. No basement, new home is 35 miles NE of Austin, TX "hard rock country". I am buying 2 of the TV's one for "my room" and one for the much larger and open living area. It will be my room because I watch sports and at times really crank up the 2 channel with Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Little Feat etc. My wife of 45+ years doesn't appreciate these times as much as me.;) My musical format is limited to digital at this time CD and Tidal HiFi via Roon.

The room will be well insulated on the inside and outside walls along with room treatments-Real Traps absorption panels-for best sound possible. I agree it will be crowded with the TV and audio equipment. The window is a problem for acoustics but it faces the front of the house and I have no choice but to live with it. Also to note thick carpeting and only one recliner for my nappy ass.;)

Additionally I will work with the electrical design guys for proper placement of outlets lighting, isolated circuits, conduit in the walls etc.

Any other thoughts you may have are welcomed.

Any other thoughts you may have are welcomed.

How do you like your PS Audio M700 Monoblocks? Are these from the “Stellar” line?

Yes sir they are Stellar M700 Monoblocks. I keep comparing them to my Mac amps the Stellars seem to be lacking in the crispness of a cymbal crash as opposed to the SS Mac but far better in lower frequencies at the same volume levels (about 60db). With the inherit power increase to about (70db) they tend to come alive and are more in line with the Mac at (60db). I find the headroom and sound stage to be about the same. Also, my opinions are probably clouded as I wear hearing aids :D

Overall the Stellars were a good purchase and excellent value.

I am relegated to 16 x 14 x 9 room with one 14 wall with a 6 ft window.

Finally my question, if I purchase ESL 13's to replace the ESL 9's is this TOO MUCH speaker for such a small room? Any and all input would be well received.:rocker:

IMO, your room is on 'small side' for di-pole's, would the 13's work..... with a lot of treatments and with that being said, again, IMO anything less than 3' out from the walls is an injustice. 4 - 6' is ideal.

My plans were for the speakers to be a minimum of 3 ft from the front wall.... not a problem as the room has a single purpose for a single person. I agree the room treatments will be extensive to make the speakers work and I'm willing to do this to learn. After all it is a hobby. ;)

If the 13's don't work well in this small room I can always move them to the larger living area and pursue a HT system. I am keeping the 9's as a fall back and option that may serve a better purpose in this small room ;)

Thanks Dave

That's a decent sized room for a dedicated 2Ch setup. I think that either the 9's or the 13's could work. The 9's have enough panel to energize that room fairly well in mid's to highs, it's the mid-bass that will be much better if stepping up to the 13's. Also, overall bass integration will be noticeably better with the 13's and their ARC-enabled low-end.
Since you are using RealTraps, you should be able to manage the room reflections such that either size panel does not make the room ring, and that arrival times and levels for the rear-wave are well managed for optimum imaging.

Back