Room nodes and Standing waves.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.A.P

Reaction score
In Samual Jacksons voice "GET THESE MUTHA F--KIN STANDING WAVES OUT OF MY MUTHA F--KIN ROOM ......NOW'

OK, I have been playing with this new meter and I am awaiting to do some room sweeps with the REW software. Most of you are familiar with JonFos outstanding work. I had a chance to toy around with some test tones I down loaded. I measured the room with a Rat Shack SPL meter. Just doing that allows you to blend things and see where you have some Nodes and standing waves. It is not nearly as accurate as the REW but I have to wait till my sound card gets here.

I have found a new home for my sub. It is in a front wall out from the left corner set at 90* phase and 45 hz Xover with the volume at 12:00 this with some real maneuvering of my newly rebuilt Quest was a big improvement. I have access to a second sub . It does some things great but others not so great.(the cake and eat it too theory ) My room is only 15x23 with a standard height ceiling so I'm trying to fill (pressurize ) roughly a 2500 Cubic foot room. My Big servo 15 can do this well with great detail and speed. What I am realizing is, although we like the big boom and the room to rumble (which is easy for me as my room has 3 of the 4 walls with cement 1/2 walls, its a quad) It is great for HT but music it gets tiring and is way to overpowering.

I did some tweaking to my Quest's with great results. However; with good comes bad. Its the rule of audio, "You cant have your cake and eat it to". I am toying with some treatment now too. What It seems to me is that the farther out in the room the panels go the deeper the image and the softer the mid bass. The closer to the back wall out comes the bass. But goes the depth too. Now what I have found is the Toe to be a real helper. To much toe and you get a center image with a quasi width sound stage. No toe and you get a wide stage but a bit smeared center. Now these are all known facts but its as frustrating as hell to blend a 12 inch woofer and a 48 inch panel together to get the best of both worlds. Throw in a sub that is a phase issue waiting to happen and you get the tough job to try and blend it all.. Its a trade off off all the variables. Your room plays the biggest factor in this all. So in a sense we are all tuning the system to our room.

I Know now why the CLS owners love the simplicity of them . They may have limited bass but nothing a good sub woofer cant take care of with out the hassle of a Hybrid woofer.

Speaking of CLS I will be picking up a pair real soon. I had to join the real side of Electrostatics. I have always admired these speakers esthetically and functionally.I look forward to playing with them.

Back