Room correction setup guide for ML’s

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sub Question , here is my current front stage . My question is should I stick a pair of Rel subs in there ?
3618695d3a7ef1c363a06655def9b3f6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Though I can't imaging not having great low-end have heard the 15a's previously. Possibly it is a room issue or are you looking to move furniture and wall hangings with the bass? :)

What do you think is missing in the music?

I also cannot imagine a need for subs with the 15A's. I have the 13A's and bass is abundant. My pair of Sumiko S.10 subs I used to use with my previous ML's aren't needed.

Sub Question , here is my current front stage . My question is should I stick a pair of Rel subs in there ?

Have you already run ARC on the 15A's? If so, and you know there is still a bass issue (use an app like Audio Tools by Studio6 Digital), then yes, adding subs can help smooth out the low-end.
But placement will need to be carefully considered. Ideal placement is one in the front middle (right where the amp is now), and one in the opposite rear wall, also centered.

What pre-amp are you using, and does it do bass management and Room Correction?

I also cannot imagine a need for subs with the 15A's. I have the 13A's and bass is abundant. My pair of Sumiko S.10 subs I used to use with my previous ML's aren't needed.

It is not always an issue of quantity, but one of quality and evenness of coverage.

My Infinite Baffle sub puts out house-shaking levels of bass, but the in-room response had variations that not even a literal truck-load of room treatments could mitigate at the MLP. It took deploying another sub at the rear of the room to even out the low-end room modes. Mid-bass impact required adding 2 nearfield mid-bass modules. So a total of four subs.

Judging from the in-room positioning depicted in the pic above, it's entirely possible there is a room mode at the MLP that sucks out critical frequencies in the bass. But metrics using a measurement tool should be used to determine if that's the case.

...here is my current front stage . ...

With so little toe-in, the rear-wave of those panels is firing straight into the wall behind and bouncing right back through them for some really destructive interferencerence (comb-filtering) in the mids and highs.

Please consider placing a mid-to-high frequency absorber on the wall directly behind them (your front wall). A RealTraps MiniTrap HF (the HF model is critical) would do the job.

With so little toe-in, the rear-wave of those panels is firing straight into the wall behind and bouncing right back through them for some really destructive interferencerence (comb-filtering) in the mids and highs.

Please consider placing a mid-to-high frequency absorber on the wall directly behind them (your front wall). A RealTraps MiniTrap HF (the HF model is critical) would do the job.

on the floor ? or up by window

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like the speakers are set flat on the floor. Do you use spikes or feet below them? The choice of feet or spikes might also be something to consider to get the best bass from these magnificent speakers.

Back