ROOM Change for the better~!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.A.P

Reaction score
Well After I had my system in the front room with the Quests in the short wall , (12X18 room. I always thought they were to tight ) I had to redecorate for the holidays ! I ended up moving them along the long wall and totally moving the furniture around . I was amazed at the total re emphisis and new sound stage I heard . They totally came alive with a warmer sound and a deeper bass. My listening position is a bit closer than I thought would sound good . However; It is much better! It's not near field listening but I sit about 8 ft away from them . They are about 6.8 ft apart. The rear wall is close to my siting position and the one side opens up to another room but it still has a great sound . I would have never thought that it would sound so good. I have realised that the bigger ML need side room to breath as both speakers have plenty of side room . This centered up the vocals to the point of thinking it was a new CD player . It also freed the big Krell to let the bass come alive ! I had to turn my sub way down !
I will be leaving them this way after the holidays!:D

This is what it is all about in audio . Tweaking and tweaking and sometimes accidentally getting a un anounced tweak , that makes ya say WOW ! :cheers:

Great News C.A.P.!

Room interaction is the single biggest variable in any audio set-up.
Not only does your new set-up put you closer to the panels, it puts you a lot further from room boundary reflections in the mids and highs. That’s why you perceive it as cleaner and more ‘focused’.

Your bass increase is likely due to the fact that you are closer to the rear wall boundary and out of any bass nulls in the middle of the room. Matter of fact, you are likely in a bass peak if the seat is within a few feet of the wall, which explains the need to turn the sub down.

Next tweak: Get a Velodyne SMS-1 and tune the bass in the room. Once you do that, it really opens up the mid-bass and the mids.

Enyoy the new sound!

Glad to here of your success!!! I've found that long wall placement usually gives the best sound for me. I understand it is just not always applicable. I am just finishing a new house and plan to have my summits on the long wall of a large vaulted room with the listening position fairly close but not right up against the back wall. Like yours, they will have plenty of breathing room on the side. I am looking forward to trying the setup out and beginning my own tweaks

Rafe

yes , I too always thought that the long wall was not as good but sometimes these Logans don't play by the rules ! :band:

C.A.P.,
I did the same thing when I remodeled my room. The dimensions are close to yours also. I've left them there for exactly the same reasons. At first I thought I would be in the near field and wasn't too thrilled with that idea, but I thought thy were being 'pinched' on the short wall. The sound is a lot better with the seperation between the 2 Quests. I have noticed they work best with equalo distances from the corners and the wall behind them. And try moving the Quests out from their back wall to around 30" I know on the long wall that dimension puts them relatively close to the listener's back wall, but the Quests are outside of your ears, so its more of an illusion. Play with the 'toe-in' now that you have them on the long wall. It took me close to 3 months to get them tweaked in after the move to the long wall. Well worth the effort thoug! ;)

I will be doing some more tweaking and toe in work . I also will add some sound diffusers soon ! Its pretty good for now!

CAP, that's pretty cool, just by rearranging your equipment and furniture you end up with a different sound and for the better no doubt. :rocker:

Brilliant!

C.A.P.,

:D Good for you! I am excited for you... :D Thanks for sharing you room redecoration experience, it has inspired me... :D

Back