Rolling Window Shade to cover RPTV?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, after WEEKS of angst hunting locally and online, for the RIGHT size & color blanket/rug/carpet remnants/shades/blinds/acoustic panels/etc... I FINALLY found a simple (and inexpensive) solution... acoustic fabric wallcovering from silentsource.com

They offer a sound absorbing 1/4" thick polyester based material, with a nice texture, and available in a variety of high-WAF colors (including charcoal black). It sells for ~$25/yard (54" wide), and shipping is cheap. I also looked at acoustic panels from a variety of sources, but factoring in shipping, they were quite expensive.

I will either fasten a wooden "hanging bar" at the top, or glue the whole piece to a masonite board.

I'll post pics once this project is done, but in the meantime, here's the link, if anybody else is looking for a similar solution.

http://www.silentsource.com/fwallcoverings.html

Finally got to upload a pic of the acoustic cover for my RPTV. I just custom cut acoustic fabric from silentsource.com, and stapled to 1" wood molding on top, into which I fastened a couple eye screws, with corresponding small cup hooks underneath the shelf above the RPTV. Voila... instant acoustic treatment with acceptable WAF! When not in use, the soft and flexible fabric easily rolls up for storage.

I was really surprised by the CHANGE in overall sonics (notice I am not saying IMPROVEMENT). The acoustic fabric "softens" the mid and upper frequency reflections that I was getting off the RPTV glass, and deepens the soundstage. Bass (fortunately) seems unaffected.

However, I guess my ears were used to those bright reflections, as I still prefer listening to SOME recordings without the treatment.

Regardless, this exercise has convinced me of the importance of acoustic treatments, and I'll continue tweaking with absorption, diffusion, and possibly bass trap(s).

Attachments

• RPTV cover.jpg
    RPTV cover.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 70

Latest posts

Back