Rocky Mountain Audio Fest- Day 3

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiTT

Super User
Reaction score
Hey everybody - FINALLY getting over a rough week at work and posting my show report on Day 3 of the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. Sorry for my tardiness.

The first room that my buddy Joe and I visited on Day 3 was a doozie. AudiKinesis is actualy a High End retailer that have developed their own brand of speakers and electronics. These big box enclosures are their Jazz Modules. While they are heavily towed in (almost like they were Klipshorns or something), these things imaged like champs and had a very punchy dynamic sound - in fact very reminicent of Klipshorns. "Nils Lofgren Live Acoustic" sounded FANTASTIC in this room.

Attachments

• Audiokinesis01.jpg
    Audiokinesis01.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 744
AudioKinesis amp

This 300B based amp had some of the most beautiful casewok I've seen and sounded wonderful. Pre-amp was an M1 from IDT Labs (never heard of them and no additional info) fed by an Oppo DVD player. This room made great music!

Attachments

• Audiokinesis02.jpg
    Audiokinesis02.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 619
Advanced Ribbon Technologies

Advanced Ribbon Technologies was demonstrating their METRO speaker system fed by all Naim electronics. The sound was "nice", but a bit laid back if you ask me - which seems odd given the Naim electroics (always known for their supperb PRAT). The METRO sells for $6900.00. If you ask me the Martin Logan guys aren't loosing any sleep over these speakers.

Attachments

• AdvancedRibbon02.jpg
    AdvancedRibbon02.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 672
Analysis Audio

On the other hand...the Analysis Audio Omega's may cause them to think twice. These speakers reminded of the the glory days of Apogee for obvious reasons. Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington were playing "Up at Duke's Place" and it was very convincing. The Omega's sell for $24K.

Attachments

• AnalysisAudio01.jpg
    AnalysisAudio01.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 832
Joule Electra

The big Analysis ribbons were being fed by these Joule Electra VZN 160 Grand Marquis OTL amps ($22K). I would LOVE to hear these amps strapped to my ReQuests. Digital source was the Audio Research CD-1.

Attachments

• AnalysisAudio02.jpg
    AnalysisAudio02.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 733
VPI and Joule Electra

Analog source in the Analysis Audio room was the VPI Super Scout feeding a Joule Electra OPS-2 phono stage ($4100.00) and their LA-150 pre-amp ($5200.00). All in all, a very musical sounding system.

Attachments

• AnalysisAudio03.jpg
    AnalysisAudio03.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 720
Ayre

The Ayre room featured their new MX-R monoblocks, the K-1xe per-amp, and the C-5xe universal player that Joey is currently in love with. They were playing some unidentified World music through the new Vandersteen Quattro speakers. Made me want to do something primal.

Attachments

• Ayre01.jpg
    Ayre01.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 862
Ayre MX-R's

The fit and finish on these new MX-R monoblocks is really something special. A real notch above their already nice look on the rest of the electronics.

Attachments

• Ayre02.jpg
    Ayre02.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 850
Azzolina Audio

Azzolina Audio makes some seriously BIG horns and Class A pre-amps. They are teamed here with some 845 based power amps from Serious Stereo. Source was another of the Galibier turntables. Seriously big music

Attachments

• Azzolina01.jpg
    Azzolina01.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 586
Last edited:
David Berning

The David Berning room featured his sensible elctronics playing through Sentient Acoustics Fostex 8 loudspeakers. Music was the John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman "Ballads" album. Tangible and seductive are the best words to describe the sound, and the Sentient speakers were very nice looking too.

Attachments

• Berning_Sentient.jpg
    Berning_Sentient.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 641
Behold Audio

The Behold room featured their BPA768 "Bi-Amping" power amps, APU768 Audio Processing Unit (pre-amp) and Memory CD player. Speakers were the $46K Ascendo M-S Mk II loudspeakers that just received a rave review in the November issue of The Abso!ute Sound. Yep, they're VERY good.

Attachments

• Behold01.jpg
    Behold01.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 623
More Behold

These Ascendo speakers are a real thing of beauty. Here's another view with one of the big Behold amps...

Attachments

• Behold02.jpg
    Behold02.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 691
Behold Sources

The Behold equipment is all very modularly based, they offer a number of phono cards and DAC cards for the Audio Processsing Unit. The Memory CD player can be used as a conventional tubed CD player, or as transport with an upgraded internal 32 bit tubed DAC with 215Khz upsampling (will also accept 5.1 to 7.2 HT inputs!), or as a digital recorder. You can record your favorite vinyl to upsampled digital and burn it on a CD. When in use it upsamples the input signal to non-mechanical memory, then feeds it through the tubed DAC. Future plans will include DVD Audio and Video playback as well as DVD-A & V burning capability, HD-DVD, and Blu-Ray. The latter requiring a factory upgrade, all others are software upgrades only. Very Cool! The Memory player is the silver box with the blue circle of light in the upper left.

Attachments

• Behold03.jpg
    Behold03.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 566
High Water Sound

Jeff Catalano bills his company High Water Sound as "Two Channel with Attitude". This is the second year that I've had a chance to talk with him and enjoy his room. The attitude here is definately more one focused on the music rather than the equipment. The equipment sounds great, but the focus is on getting out of the way and letting the music speak for itself. His 108Db efficient horns speak quite elloquently.

Attachments

• HighWater02.jpg
    HighWater02.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 604
Last edited:
T.W. Acustic TT

The High Water room was running analog only using this TW Acustic (their spelling) Raven AC turntable from Germany featuring 3 motors and 2 tonearm (Raven-one and Schroder Reference) both with Dynavector 507mkII cartridges. As shown $10K...

Attachments

• HighWater03.jpg
    HighWater03.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,875
PS Audio

PS Audio was showing their new Power Plant Premiere. Much smaller that the PS 600 and PS 1000 based chassis like I have - and supposedly much better sound. They are offering some significant trade in value for existing owners through November I believe - up to $1000.00 on the PS 600 I was told.

Attachments

• PSAudio01.jpg
    PSAudio01.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 156
Halcro

The monster Halcro amps were driving Wilson Audio Maxx II's and Talon subs in their room. How could the Wilsons have sounded so good in the Audio Unlimited/Boulder room and so bad in this room? The room was much larger here, and the source was supposedly uncompressed streaming audio from Music Giants, but the sound was just plain blah.

Attachments

• Halcro01.jpg
    Halcro01.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 158
Halcro Pre-Pro

The only AV Pre-Pro's I saw at the show was this SSP-100 on static display outside of the Halcro room along side of their SSP-80. The SSP-100 sells for $10K, the SSP-80 for $8K. The fact that these were the only real pre-pro's I saw at the show speaks volumes about the focus of this AUDIO show.

Attachments

• Halcro02.jpg
    Halcro02.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 165
Hagerman

The Hagerman room featured his tubed electronics feeding another set of the Azzolina Audio big bad horns.

Attachments

• Hagerman01.jpg
    Hagerman01.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 161
Triode Corporation

A new company out of Japan called Triode Corporation (Tri) was making some amazing music with their collection of valve based amps and very small speakers (I didn't hear the larger ones). The speakers are a solid block of wood carved out to fit the drivers and crossover. They sounded amazing given their size - I'd just have a hard time ponying up 4 Large for something about the size of half a loaf of bread.

Attachments

• Tri01.jpg
    Tri01.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 160

Latest posts

Back