Richard Gray's Power Company Introduces The PowerHouse.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tiberium

http://www.avrev.com/news/0706/27.powerhouse.shtml

house.jpg

Normally reserved for commercial applications, RGPC adds triple-phase power to its stable of custom installation power management products.

Richard Gray’s Power Company, (RGPC) announces the introduction of the PowerHouse 3X, designed exclusively for triple-phase AC power. The PowerHouse 3X is engineered for the demanding power requirements of the home automation and home theater systems of large homes and estates, as well as commercial applications, a first for RGPC. The PowerHouse 3X can operate on 208 or 240V triple-phase AC power; can handle up to 6200-watts and simultaneously power up to 21 components.

Wow.

Manufacturing Suggested Retail Price of the RGPC PowerHouse 3X is $9,395 and is shipping now.

I am not a big fan of RG stuff but this is something.

What a beast. And what a price!

It looks like this one is a real three-phase connected device. So only new homes or significant electrical retrofits can even use this.
Most homes are supplied with the split phase output of a delta three-phase to star transformer, supplying your mains breakers with two phases of 120v and a neutral in North America.
You would have to spec a full three-phase feed at 60 amps for this box alone.

The output of the RGPC unit is not clearly specified, but looks like it’s just a traditional single phase 120v, neutral and ground.

I’m not impressed for that kind of money.

I have a 5KVA balanced power rig. This one takes a 30amp two phase 240v circuit, same as a dryer, and feeds a 250lb toroid transformer. The output is balanced AC with ground.
This provides the same transient suppression, power stability and reserves as the RGPC unit. But on top of that, it provides the benefits of balanced power.
My rig cost me a fraction of what that RGPC unit goes for. But then I did much of the design and wiring myself (so I could integrate the automation of relays). Once again, no one really makes a decent remote controllable power distribution unit at serious KVA ratings, so had to build my own.

If you really wanted a 3-phase fed system, you could just install one of these in your electrical room and feed a dedicated panel in the HT room from it:
http://www.equitech.com/products/industrial/xfmrs/neptune.html

I considered that, but by the time I made a decision, the electrical runs had been completed and the panels were half in.

In any case, I highly recommend a high-quality power distribution system for the HT no matter who you get it from. And balanced power is way better than single-phase (you guys in AU or EU already have balanced power, you lucky dogs).

Last edited:
Cherian said:
ETA systems also offer 3-phase power conitioners. They go as high as 300kVA

http://www.etasys.com/Main/Products/ConditionedPowerCenter.asp

Cool stuff. That's like an amp that goes to 11 :p

Seriously, only the 75 amp unit will feed 208 / 120 to 'normal' gear. One would still need a step-down for the larger units.

Do they (or you, I knows who you is :D ) have any balanced power stuff?

We are working on it. Its in R/D now. Shhhhhhhhhh, its a secret.

ETA is more for pro audio applications. We are looking to sell this 3-phase units to movie theaters and the new Mega Churches. It looks like this will be a very good market for us. We are in the process of revamping the ETA line to a more true power conditioner design (isolation transformer based).

As for balanced power my first design was shot down my marketing as it was too costly. My first design had two transformers one isolation transformer on the front end with capacitive filtering on the secondary and a neutral to ground bond. Then a second center tapped isolation transformer that would be balance (60 VAC between line and ground and 60 VAC between neutral and ground). I felt this design would make for good power quality and also reduce any common mode hummm by canceling it between the center tap of the transformer. But again adding two isolation transformers made for a very big and heavy unit. Not to say anything about the cost. So now I am looking at using an LC filter on the front end and a center tapped (balanced power) transformer on the output of the filter. I am having a hard time getting the filter where I would like to see it. We will get it in time. This unit we are hoping to sell to the recording studios.

The cool thing I have some of the prototype units powering my system at home.

Cherian said:
We are working on it. Its in R/D now. Shhhhhhhhhh, its a secret.

The cool thing I have some of the prototype units powering my system at home.

Cherian, that's really neat. Nice to be able to ‘test’ your designs like that.

What benefits did you find when you switched the rig over to balanced?

I assume you have the ML's plugged into the balanced power setup, right?

Also, do your units have sequencing features or do you just use one of your external sequencers?

I wish had known about ETA sequencers, the big PD420VS looks pretty nice. Does it handle balanced?
I ask because many sequencers assume common neutrals and use SPST relays. For balanced one needs to switch both legs.

Last edited:
Hello Jonathan,

Using the balanced power I have noticed a difference. It is almost indescribable but there is less 60 Hz humm. I think the true benefit of balanced power will be in the recording industry where ultra silent is good.

We do offer sequencing however my amps do not have enough inrush current where I need sequencing. Its fun to play with. The PD420VS do use a common neutral.

Latest posts

Back