Reviews - what can be trusted?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I replaced the panels for my Prodigy a year or two ago from ML and the new panels look identical to the old. You get brand new panels, ML doesn't rebuild them.
Ok, so the metal stator panels are the old type, not the new microperforated as they call them? I guess they have the ability to still produce the old style.

Good to know. Thanks. Do they sound worth the $3k?

So...Were you completely happy with the new panels? Sound Quality restored, etc?
Too bad the cost went up so much. If mine were only about $1500 I would have done them in a heart beat, but $3k is a lot to swallow for me. Did ML ever come out with an explanation as to why the price doubled?

Robert, things changed with M/L's move to Canada and their Legacy philosophy IMO. I suspect the cost / profit ration became more skewed

As for those of you that prefer your older models that's fine for transducers are very subjective but don't think for one minute they measure better or are more accurate that the current models, they aren't !

That really doesn't matter. We don't purchase speakers to take measurements of them, and not everyone wants "accurate". That's like saying you desire a loudspeaker with a ruler flat response. No one in their right mind wants a ruler flat speaker. Imagine how dry, lifeless and boring that would sound.

If you heard what I'm hearing currently in my room, you probably wouldn't believe they're 22 year old, all original SL3's. A lot of it has to do with the gear upstream as well and the synergy of those components, cables, etc, etc.

I think that really is the gist Chops. The new speakers are more accurate than the old speakers. But more accurate is more boring, I preferred the older renditions.

Is there a way to cheat with EQ or other upstream tweaks something that closer approximates the old sound? What made the old sound the old sound?

That really doesn't matter. We don't purchase speakers to take measurements of them, and not everyone wants "accurate".

we shall agree to disagree then for I do look at measurements before I make a purchase. Case in point, those of us that have owned stats for a long time know of their innate ability to produce the frequency range of a piano as accurate as any speaker out there. Yes, accuracy does in fact matter.

The big difference between the modern hybrid Logans and those of years past is the much improved accuracy of the crossover network so as to improve the seamless transition of woofer and stat panel.

The best 'Legacy' set up I've ever heard was that of Dan (DTB300), God rest his soul, who combined CLS's with killer subs and superb room acoustics. It was super and several other members of this forum I know will attest to that.

I am by no means knocking 'legacy set ups', I've heard plenty and they can truly be heaven as I'm sure your are Charles !

I think that really is the gist Chops. The new speakers are more accurate than the old speakers. But more accurate is more boring, I preferred the older renditions.

Is there a way to cheat with EQ or other upstream tweaks something that closer approximates the old sound? What made the old sound the old sound?

You could easily EQ the sound to taste, but then you're adding more crud into the signal. You'd be better off playing with speaker positioning and room acoustics to try and tailor the sound that way.

we shall agree to disagree then for I do look at measurements before I make a purchase. Case in point, those of us that have owned stats for a long time know of their innate ability to produce the frequency range of a piano as accurate as any speaker out there. Yes, accuracy does in fact matter.

The big difference between the modern hybrid Logans and those of years past is the much improved accuracy of the crossover network so as to improve the seamless transition of woofer and stat panel.

That isn't what I said. I said we don't buy speakers to measure them. I didn't say that I don't look at speaker measurements before making a purchase. I do in fact. I also read reviews, both from the pros and from actual owners of the product in question.

I can appreciate the better crossover integration for the woofer/panel transition. I did the same when I re-wired my SL3's to completely bypass the internal crossovers and run the dbx Venu 360. Making sharper crossover points, adjusting gains between woofer and panel, and even more importantly, adjusting the time alignment between the two made improvements over the stock SL3's, as well as vertically bi-amping them.

But, I was tired of all the clutter, so went back to stock. The improvements were there, but weren't enough to worry about.

Last edited:
Back