ReQuests

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davioj

Reaction score
Want to know what some of you think about the ReQuest speakers wondering if it is worth it to rebuild them with new panels or go new, panels are US $2250.00 with shipping and exchange about $3000.00 Canadian very nice sound right now but they are 25 years old still doing very well well taken care of. Was told by Martin Logan that you would have to have at least the 11A to be a comparison, they are about 17,000 Canadian TX in are they going to make that much of a differance.

Dave

My Prodigy speakers are 23 years old and sound amazing with new panels. I paid around $3000 for the panels. You can't reproduce the quality of sound unless you spend a lot more on newer speakers. I'm with Wink,

And I’m right there with Wink and Robert D. Nice pair of used Odysseys ( 22 years old ) and new panels, and just like Robert D said and this is the TRUTH “ You can't reproduce the quality of sound unless you spend a lot more on newer speakers”

Last edited:
Well guys thats good cause to replace them with anything compareable is about $17000.00 Canadian and the cost of new panels from ML is about $3000.00 Canadian I think they are pretty easy to replace by myself from what I heard, you guys have replaced them so I'm asking how easy is it. I have got a set of Ethoes am going to move to the rear, just love the size of the panels to increase the soundstage as the Ethoes is pretty narrow, the ReQuests are 27 years old but well taken care of by the former owner he never listened to loud music and they still sound really good, he also said the soundstage is alot bigger than his new ones he bought a set of 13A's and says they are not that much better, I actually listened with him and didn't hear too much difference when you think of the price difference at about 5x the price of these with new panels 13A's up here are about $27500.00 TX in in Canada. Well thanks for the info love the ML sound absolutly incredible, also went to a high end store around here and auditiond a set of $59000.00 speakers I think the Logans are just as good but that is just my opinion.

Dave

Well the previous owner is probably right on the money with that sound stage comment. When I decided to get back into Logans 3 years ago I made a big mistake when I bought a pair of 9A Classics thinking the new stuff should sound every bit as good as my Ascent i that I bought new years ago. Man was I wrong and it was the sound stage that was missing on the 9A, and not just a little very noticeably. Bought them as a demo pair with full warranty from Music Direct for 5k. Well after realizing what a mistake that was I listed them for sale, that was 2 years ago and have had zero interest from anyone on them. Got the Odysseys and new panels and BAM big time sound stage. And I’ve compared both sets of speakers in MY room on MY system everything the same except the speakers and the difference in sound is BIG and very disappointing. The sound stage extends way past the outside edges of the speakers. That was the big thing I loved about the Ascent i speakers I had. Hope that helps with your decision and sorry if I offended anybody with the newer models but it’s the truth as I hear it in MY system.
As far as changing the panels yourself…..piece of cake! You will get excellent installation instructions from customer service also get a pair of the stat stops when you order the panels, they usually throw those in at no charge.

I repanelled my quests ~4 years ago. The dealer's commented, "It's a whole lot of speaker for the money." I think that's a fair assessment.

Ya I e-mailed ML also about mabe recapping but they do not have the parts for that but they do have the power supply, sent me directions on changing the panels plus scimatics on the board, TomDac had a good post about wich caps to change and a high end shop around here where I live will do it if I can't plus they will have the parts, they have a high end audio store and also a parts store for caps and tubes and wires, expensive though but that's life now everything is going expensive up here and I know it's the same down there we have relatives in PA. my wife is American, can also get stuff shipped there to save on shipping charges cross boarder boy thanks for all the info I think I will order a set of panels just to have them, the price is bound to go up no doubt.

Dave

Latest posts

Back