ReQuest vs Ascent

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Pohopien

Reaction score
If you had the option to choose between these two speakers, which would you choose. Looking to pick up used pairs, the Request is going for $1,500 and the Ascent $2,000.

I don't want money to be the deciding factor.....should be sound quality. Both of the speakers panels are about the same age and condition.

I love the ascents, and am probably a bit biased since I own a set. I'm actually nervous about replacing mine with a set of Odysseys if that is any indication of how well they perform. I'm truly not sure if I'm just throwing extra money out the window with the purchase as there isn't anything at all to complain about with the Ascents. I just had a good opportunity to snatch up a pair at a great price and see if the 6500 original price tag was worth it.
Oh, BTW, those are actually probably my ascents you are talking about :rocker:

I have heard both ! Depending on your likes the Accent can give a great sound stage . The ReQuest like a bigger room. The Accent can be upgraded to a clear spar panel . Room size would be the deciding factor for me !

I have had Sequels and Ascents. I love the Ascents I think they may offer a bit more in the "bottom end";) Good luck with your decision

Doug - out

Bear in mind that the ReQuests are a LARGE speaker. In the wrong room, the presence of the ReQuests can be visually overwhelming. The "stonehenge" look can be cool, but I have seen them in rooms where they are simply ridiculous, to say nothing of the Spouse Approval Factor (SAF).

In either case you will enjoy a superlative sound system.

~VDR

I have heard both at the same demo and prefer the Request...I prefer the lower crossover...I did not like voices coming from floor level.

I have a dedicated 13 X 21 listening room so I could probably get away with either one.:music:

I just miss that ML sound.....but am also concerned about having sufficient low end to fill my rooom. I don't use a sub.

13 x 21 is still smallish for ReQuest. They like big rooms ! They will work but a bit bigger room is needed. I ran mine in a 16 x 24 room and could have used more. The ReQuest need to be at least 4 feet out and 2 feet from the side walls for best results !

Very good then....I'm leaning towards the Ascents anyways.

C.A.P, I believe you were the one that cut your panels down....and I think I saw them on audiogon recently. Nice work.....being a fellow woodworker, there must have been some tenuous cuts!

I've had my ReQuests for ten years now(since new)and I've listened to the Ascents with the thought of upgrading in a parallel manner a few times. Every time I had come away liking mine more. The reason mainly, was the larger soundstage of the ReQuests.

My only want is a clearspar panel to match the rest of my system...maybe one day they will offer that option for my precious speakers.

Dan

Very good then....I'm leaning towards the Ascents anyways.

C.A.P, I believe you were the one that cut your panels down....and I think I saw them on audiogon recently. Nice work.....being a fellow woodworker, there must have been some tenuous cuts!
That was me , I lowered the panel and opened up the woofer grill. The cuts were easy, you just had to be brave enough to do them !;)

Paul,
It's too bad you are across the country. I'd be more than happy to invite you over to audition the Ascents in action.
Adam

Back