ReQuest Slipping down

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter_Klim

Reaction score
Hola!

I have these little flat feet screwed into the botton of my ReQuest so my floor won't get scratched when I move/slide them further apart and from blocking my other system (HT). Of course after watching the movies I slide them back to a small marked area on the floor.

Well, I noticed my floor are all scratch up anyways (just from the one spk). What I found out is that the entire panel (as well as the woofer grille) has slid down to the floor! I'd say it dropped about an inch. I raised it back up (it's somewhat tight), but what should be keeping them together? How to fix this? Note -Sound wise it sounds the same as the good spk...

Peter_Klim said:
Hola!

I have these little flat feet screwed into the botton of my ReQuest so my floor won't get scratched when I move/slide them further apart and from blocking my other system (HT). Of course after watching the movies I slide them back to a small marked area on the floor.

Well, I noticed my floor are all scratch up anyways (just from the one spk). What I found out is that the entire panel (as well as the woofer grille) has slid down to the floor! I'd say it dropped about an inch. I raised it back up (it's somewhat tight), but what should be keeping them together? How to fix this? Note -Sound wise it sounds the same as the good spk...

Hey Peter,
My Sequels did the same thing and now my reQuests are doing it also... You have to remove the rails, take the panel off, take the double sided tape off, apply new double sided tape and firmly place the panel back onto the new tape and then put the rails back on.

It's my only complaint about the older logans, but easy to remedy.

Tom.

TomDac said:
Hey Peter,
My Sequels did the same thing and now my reQuests are doing it also... You have to remove the rails, take the panel off, take the double sided tape off, apply new double sided tape and firmly place the panel back onto the new tape and then put the rails back on.

It's my only complaint about the older logans, but easy to remedy.

Tom.
Hola Tom and Peter. I had the same problem here in Costa Rica. :( In early models, ML had two plates, one on each side at the bottom of the rails. :rolleyes: Perhaps you could do the same thing, and put these kind of supports secured at the bottom with two screws in the wood of the speaker´s cabinet. Lay down on their side the speaker and put these kind of small hinges. You can make them with any piece of metal 1/2" X 2" X 1/8" or little less of thickness and two holes for the screws. These blades will secure the woofer´s ornamental grill on position. Hope this can help...happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto. :D

What this also means is that the foam rubber isolation strips (between the stator and the frame) have lost their resilience and give enough play to let the Panel hang from just the Velcro strips. The Velcro strips adhesives can’t support the panel, their adhesive gives and down it goes.

The best bet is to obtain replacement foam rubber isolation strips (Tom, is this the DoubleSided tape you mentioned?), not sure what and where to get this stuff, but it seems similar to weather-stripping in automotive applications (suitable for harsh environments and designed for longevity in doorjambs, etc.). Maybe the factory will sell us some. Seems a common issue.

Put the speaker on its side, take of the rails (tapping from the top) to expose the panel.
Peel off the panel, being careful with the ESL wires, or better, mark them and unscrew them from the front panel terminal block (under the bottom edge of the panel).
See the Velcro and the isolation strips along the frame edges?
Find a suitable replacement (not too thick) and replace.

This will hold the panels in place against the rails and keep the panel from buzzing against the frame.

Cheers,

JonFo said:
The best bet is to obtain replacement foam rubber isolation strips (Tom, is this the DoubleSided tape you mentioned?),
Yep. It's basically double sided tape with a thin layer of foam in between. Available at most hardware stores.

Gracias mis amigos!

I've heard of removing these panels before in other threads here. I may as well take advantage of the situation and "shower" with them before putting them back together huh? ;)

Sorry for digging this thread up, does anyone have recommendation for the double tapes/foam used to secured the panels? I got a used set of reQuest recently and they have the same problem.
The previous owner used spikes and I would like to change to regular rubber feet. Does anyone know the size of the screw.. or give me some links? I emailed ML a while ago but has not received any responses yet.
Thank you very much!!!

Not sure if someone else posted this, but ML can give you some L shaped brackets that you put on the bottom of the speaker frame. The brackets prevent gravity from pulling down the panels. Using a mechanical pencil here to prop up the metal bracket.

20200813_135518.jpg

Interesting! I emailed ML but havent received any responses yet. Thank you for the info!

Interesting! I emailed ML but havent received any responses yet. Thank you for the info!
The one you see there is for my Prodigy speakers. I'm sure they have made them for all of the models. The newer models probably have something similar built into them from the factory. Its like the engineers didn't consider gravity enough when they designed the speakers.

My panels slid too, and these brackets fixed that! I got mine after talking to their person on the phone. Email is the way now since Covid.

I’m thinking of using tape first then bracket if necessary to hold the panels. Do you have any info for the feet? The wood floor was scratched during moving and now my wife won’t let the speakers go in living room without changing to rubber feet lol

yay good news, they are sending me new Stat stop to keep the panels steady :)
Also found out the thread size is 1/4"-20 for feet.
ML support is the best.

Hopefully the panels can last for couple years before I have to replace. $2250 for the set :(

Latest posts

Back