reQuest Panel Issues

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a pair of reQuests which were purchased new in 1998. Over the last couple of years, there has been a near complete loss of high frequency response. Does anyone know the typical life expectancy of the ESL panels, and do they typically require replacement at this stage? They have been kept in So. California without exposure to unusual environmental conditions.

If replacement is needed, any suggestions relative to economy and efficiency?

egger: Panels on most of the new models are easy to replace, you can actually do it yourself and it is suppose to be pretty simple. Well at least on there new models, not sure about the Request, I sold mine a few years ago and didn't have any problems with them. Best bet is to call them and ask them how much, and if you can do the repair and or if they need to to them. ESL panels, it all depends, I heard 15 -20 year depending on how or what you play on them. Ironically there new ones ship with a membrane cloth and if your not using them you can put this over them to protect the panels. Best of luck to you...

Last edited:
Assuming no damage to the electronics of panels go to the tweaks section and search for partial remedies for your problem.

Some quick things:

Do you vacuum the panels regularly?
If not give them a thorough cleaning with a vacuum cleaner and then use a micro-fine dusting cloth. I was told by ML that you can spray a very moderate amount of windex on the cloth and then clean the panel. Be sure to dry the panel afterwards with a clean and dry microfine cloth.

If these things don't work you may have to give your panels a bath.

Are your speakers subjected to high humidity?

If so, you may need to play them in a dry area. Usually if there is any damage due to humidity, you will smell ozone when playing loudly. You will probably have to replace the panels.

There are a good number of other suggestions that other members found useful.

I live in Australia in a reasonably humid environmental and had the same problem after about 8 years. ML have told me that this is about the life of Quest/Re-Quest panels.

After replacement and breaking in (which took about 30 hours before being listenable) the speakers now sound as good as new. It cost me about $1500 Australian including labour so you should expect a cost much less than this.

I think this is good value and would encourage you to get it done. Just don't expect them to sound any good for at least 30 hours.

You're in SoCal, so no humidity.. Have the reQuests been there all their life? If so, I would try vaccuuming them first. Then try the shower thing (see tweaks section) before buying new panels.

New panels are definitely easy to install; let them sit overnight unplugged... remove side rails.. disconnect wires. Install new panels.. instal side rails.. connect wires.. break them in. Very easy to do.

Let us know how it turns out.

Tom.

Got My Request Replacement Panels!!!!

Thanks for all the advice from members, but I ultimately ended up ordering replacement panels from ML, for $710 delivered. While breakin is still needed, it was great to recapture the ML sound, and the price of replacements is well worth it. In fact, I am considering buying an extra set for future use in case the manufacturing of replacements for older models ceases.

Thanks for all the advice from members, but I ultimately ended up ordering replacement panels from ML, for $710 delivered. While breakin is still needed, it was great to recapture the ML sound, and the price of replacements is well worth it. In fact, I am considering buying an extra set for future use in case the manufacturing of replacements for older models ceases.

I bought my ReQuests the same year and they're still going strong. I have, however, thought about the possible degradation of sound due to age and wondered about replacing the panels.

Question: Will the new panels come with the clear spar technology? That alone would cause me to spend the money even if no improvement was made to the sound.

Dan :cool:

wink said:
I bought my ReQuests the same year and they're still going strong. I have, however, thought about the possible degradation of sound due to age and wondered about replacing the panels.

Question: Will the new panels come with the clear spar technology? That alone would cause me to spend the money even if no improvement was made to the sound.

I was wondering the same thing about clear spar.

wink said:

I just replaced the panels on my ML Quest speakers and they did not have ClearSpars :(
Panels were manufactured in May 2006 and as far as I know, Quest and ReQuest panels are essentially the same.

Adri.

Sometime I think it would be nice to be able to "update" our older speakers using the newer technology. Whether it would result in better sound, who knows?

I did my Quest's a while back and they did take a while to break in, once they did , WOW !

They older Quest had the 5 inch equal spaced spars and the new panels you get are alternating height from 3 to 5 for better efficiency and less distortion , as per Martin Logan's wording.

I probably missed something. Are the panels being sold by ML the original panels or are they in some way different? :confused:

robertawillisjr said:
Sometime I think it would be nice to be able to "update" our older speakers using the newer technology. Whether it would result in better sound, who knows?

It may or may not improve the sound - problem is that it could CHANGE the sound, and that is not something I for one would want to entertain!

C.A.P said:
I did my Quest's a while back and they did take a while to break in, once they did , WOW !

They older Quest had the 5 inch equal spaced spars and the new panels you get are alternating height from 3 to 5 for better efficiency and less distortion , as per Martin Logan's wording.

Hi,

Nice to see someone with nearly identical equipment. :)
I have replaced the panels on my Quests 2 weeks ago and they are the newer 3-5-3 spaced spars model.
How long did it take you to break-in the new panels?

Adri.

ML Quests
Krell Fpb-400cx

Got My Request Replacement Panels!!!!

Good afternoon. I have the ReQuest, and I am very interested in replacing the panels. Please share the details on how you order them?

Good afternoon. I have the ReQuest, and I am very interested in replacing the panels. Please share the details on how you order them?
I contacted Martin Logan via email. Ron is the person who handles stuff like this. You could try calling, but after Covid I think they dont really talk on the phone much. In the past I did everything over the phone. Ron is really good about communications. He can give you the price and let you know any details you want. I think the time to delivery is now about 6 months.

Latest posts

Back