Request for advice

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyL999

Reaction score
I've looking to put a HT in a vacation home. I have ML (Ascent, Cinema, Descent) with Halo gear at my home and am very used to the great ESS sound that ML provides.

Budget is a big consideration for the new HT as we only spend 3-4 wks a year there. Has anyone got recommendations for some of the Design series? I'd probably be using a Yamaha or Denon receiver for this as 90% of the usage would be HT.

Given the experience of the members of this group, thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts!

Randy

RandyL999 said:
I've looking to put a HT in a vacation home. I have ML (Ascent, Cinema, Descent) with Halo gear at my home and am very used to the great ESS sound that ML provides.

Budget is a big consideration for the new HT as we only spend 3-4 wks a year there. Has anyone got recommendations for some of the Design series? I'd probably be using a Yamaha or Denon receiver for this as 90% of the usage would be HT.

Given the experience of the members of this group, thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts!

Randy
Hola Randy...there are a lot of good stuff on the market place. I personal, like Anthem very much. I depends a lot of your budget. (www.anthemav.com). Some of the members here uses Anthem and they report a very good pleasant sound. Anthem is THX certified. Of course there are more options. Go to Audigon, perhaps you could find a used gear there in a super good condition and price. On the other hand, Sherwood is the makila, the builder of the most common brands, like Onkio or Denon. So with them, you will find the same features and the same quality parts. I like very much their R-965 receiver. Hope this can help!
Roberto.

Thanks to both of you for your input. I'll be able to find the receiver OK, but what I was really wondering is people's impressions of the Martin Logan Design series of speakers for HT use. If any of you have experience with them, I'd sure appreciate your thoughts!

Randy

Yamaha does not synergize well with Martin Logans. The sound from that combination is imho absolutely abysmal.

You've got a Halo setup at home...

If you want to have a really good sounding system: 1 pair Montage $1,295, 1 Fresco $995, 1 Pair of Vignettes $1298 and one SVS or Outlaw Subwoofer of less than $500. The total cost on that system is $4088 before DVD player or Receiver.

I'd suggest the Oulaw Subwoofer, and combine it with their 990 Pre-Pro and their 7125, 125 watts X Seven amp. It would give you the power of seperates and be better than the Denon answer. Plus you get a good subwoofer without spending a lot of money on one. It is easily the most bang for the buck you can spend. The TRUE 125 watts of power will provide the speakers the power they need to shine.

Honestly that combo will surpass a Denon AVR-4306, which would be the smallest Denon I'd recommend for your speaker combination. The Outlaw will have DVI inputs and outputs that a HDMI/DVI connection that will allow you to pass 1080p signals. The 4306 isn't 1.3 HDMI, so its really not a feature to make the Outlaw worthless.

990/7125/LFM-1 990 PrePro/7125 Pwr Amp/LFM-1 Sub $2297.00

As a dealer it hurts to admit that for the money the Outlaw combination is impossible to beat. The 970/7125 combo is still better than that Denon. It would cost you roughly $400 less.

I have a friend with a B&W HT setup and he uses the Outlow Pre/Pro along with their Mono Amps and it produced a very nice sounding setup. A nice price & results setup. And if I am not mistaken, Outlaw has the try it out and return it if you do not like it.

Dan

Latest posts

Back