ReQuest bass performance

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My '95 ReQuests perform great with the exception of the built in subs. Boomy, thumpy. So I am looking at internal bracing and possibly driver replacement. I have spent many days/nights calculating, measuring and listening for placement proper in my 25' L × 17'W × 9'H listening room.
I get the same poor bass quality no matter which room. All electronics check out. All ancillary gear perfect. Sunfire Pre, Sunfire Signature 600 amp ×2, Sony X303 ES, B&0 Beogram 1700 table, Audioquest speaker cable and interconnects. One pair of Synergistic Alpha Sterling, cd to pre. Magnepan MG1b's are keeping my sanity intact in the meantime. Thx everyone. Great group!

Hi there,

you may want to get an extra subwoofer - for start just lend a good one (quick like the bigger Dynamo) - then reduce the bass output from the Request - either by just changing the bass control to reduced or by only feeding the Electrostatic panel

regards
Jo

Hi there,

you may want to get an extra subwoofer - for start just lend a good one (quick like the bigger Dynamo) - then reduce the bass output from the Request - either by just changing the bass control to reduced or by only feeding the Electrostatic panel

regards
Jo
Depending on your setup, you could just set the crossover for the requests up around 80 to 100 HZ and take out all of the boomy bass and let the subwoofer do the work.

If you are looking for a sub, REL has a sale on all subwoofers plus free Amazon Prime shipping through 03/31/22. I use 4) REL HT/1508 Predators to cover the bass with 4) ReQuests (dual R + L), 2) SL3's (rear), 2) Center channel ML Logos (above & below screen) & 4) wall mounted ML Stylos (sides). The REL HT/1508 subs are fast & blend beautifully with the ML's.

https://rel.net/shop/powered-subwoofers/serie-ht/ht-1508-predator/

I recently came to the opposite conclusion. I have previously supplemented my Quest Z’s with different subs, including several different Martin Logan models, as well as other brands. This led to much tinkering with the crossovers, volume level and placement. I was frequently getting up from my seat to make adjustments to get the sound right, depending on what music was being played.

A couple of weeks ago, I disconnected my subs, just to listen again to what the speakers sound like on their own. I use a Krell FPB 300, which is known for its bass slam, and I have to say it brings out pretty decent response in the lower regions.

But since the speakers only extend down to around 30HZ, I will probably still want to use a sub or two when listening to symphonic music, pipe organ or hard rock/metal. It is not easy being an audiophile.

Hey, make sure the woofer cabinet isn't leaking. On my Aerius I's the threaded holes for the floor spikes were drilled all the way through the box and caused so much air to leak you could hear it pushing on the woofer.

I still don't have a good enough seal for my liking so I'm going to add new sealing foam to the rear panel. Another spot to check is the hole for the front LED and speaker cable, everything needs to be sealed up tight to get proper performance from a sealed box.

Thanks Brandon. I checked out the back panels, and unbelievably didn't finish tightening them. I did add some acoustic foam remnants. A big improvement. Also went with a Crown K2 amp and Audio Control crossover. This group has amazed me with the responses I received. A truly cohesive bunch with one goal in mind. A great model the world could benefit from.

If you are looking for a sub, REL has a sale on all subwoofers plus free Amazon Prime shipping through 03/31/22. I use 4) REL HT/1508 Predators to cover the bass with 4) ReQuests (dual R + L), 2) SL3's (rear), 2) Center channel ML Logos (above & below screen) & 4) wall mounted ML Stylos (sides). The REL HT/1508 subs are fast & blend beautifully with the ML's.

https://rel.net/shop/powered-subwoofers/serie-ht/ht-1508-predator/
I've heard nothing but positive reports on REL subs. My main listening room is10' × 17'× 25'. I'm in the treatment phase now with traps, absorbers and diffusers. My first truly dedicated audio space. Thanks again!

120v/15 amp circuit. An old school Tice Power Block/ Titan setup consists of an isolation transformer and energy storage unit. I leave the system powered up 24/7. I'm currently converting my family room into a dedicated listening room (9'H × 14' W × 25' L) with upgraded electrical.

Back