Report on New Isolation Cones

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamer

Classified Forum Moderator
Reaction score
(I just want to reassure y'all that other than buying these cones form this guy, I have no affiliation with his business, and am offering this review for the information and edification of the members of this forum.)

I bought these cones off EBAY a few weeks ago, (actually I bought 8 sets). They are made in Austrailia, and are high-fired ceramic cones, about 1.5" high, and almost 2" wide at the top. They are not solid, and the walls are about 1/4" thick, which makes them VERY light. They have a glossy white finish on the outside, with a logo fired into them that looks like a signature (I can't really read it, but it looks like it says RA design labs). I got them for a price of $14.95 each set of 3 (plus shipping). Compared to other ceramic isolation cones, I figured if they do ANYTHING at all positive, they were a bargain. His shipping was VERY quick, and they come in pretty spiffy litte boxes.

These cones were under my Oppo for about 2 weeks before I really got a chance to listen for any improvements. Today I had some time to just sit and listen critically, soI listen to Patricia Barber's "Mythologies", Frank Zappa's "Apostrophe", an Diana Krall's SACD "Girl In The Other Room".

I'm not a big fan of Patricia Barber. Although "Mythologies" is a fantastic recording from a technical standpoint, and Barber has a unique and sonically beautiful voice, her songs give me the impression that she's sort of a Suburban princess who's always wanted to be cool, and so she writes songs that sound like a Yale Sorority woman trying to do Zappa. I bought this CD on the recommendatio of several members of this forum, and after listening to it 2 or 3 times, I put in the back of my shelf. It may be a good reference, but I just don't dig Barber. Or so I thought...

All that said, this listen was much more engaging and interesting. I don't know what it is, but there is something DIFFERENT this time around. Perhap the bass is a little tighter. Perhaps the mids are a tiny bit more lush and airy. Perhaps the highs are just a little more clear and open. I can't really put my finger on it, but there is just a whole level of annoyance that is not there anymore for me.

I still don't dig Barber, and I still think she's a little pretentious, but aat least it's not as annoying to me now, and I can get past that and just enjoy the music... :)

Zappa's "Apostrophe" is one of my favorite Zappa discs of all time. The reason why I put it in next is because as I said aboce, Barber reminds me of Zappa, done badly. WOW. Now here I can see (er, uh, hear?) what it is. These cones are letting the Oppo really open up. There is a purity in the mids that was sort of veiled before, and a slight increase in the authority of the bass. nothing dramatic, mind you. This is one of those incremental improvements that is sort of hard to nail down, but you KNOW that is sounds somehow better. The acoustic space is clearer and very open. I'm not getting that pinpoint soundstaging that some audiophiles get with their Wilsons or Sonus Fabers, but as an ML owner, I don't really like that sound. What I'm hearing is a slight increase in the sharpness of instrument and voice locality, with better definitions on their "edges". It's hard to describe, but my ears know there is a difference. And the bass is tighter, just a tiny bit.

Diana Krall, "Girl In The Other Room". Well, I think it is safe to say that this disc is quickly becoming a "reference disc" for many ML owners, and perhaps for many other audiophiles in general. It's a fantastic technical recording, a luscious performance, and Krall has such emotion and pace that it's hard NOT to be completely engaged in the songs. I'll admit that in my system, this is one of the few discs where I have to adjust the "tone" controls on the pre, because the bass is sometimes a little too BIG, so I started off with the tones backed off one click as usual. About 30 seconds, I realised that this didn't sound right, and put them back to their "neutral" position, and...sweeeet. Now that is was an upright bass sounds like! Finaly, this disc sound just perfectly balanced. And the breath in Kralls vocals has a sensual, almost erotic sound that is just a little too real, if that is possible. The cymbal work is light and airy, and the piano has a little more dimension to it too. "Temptation", which has become my numero uno reference track has a slightly more defined, slightly tighter, and slightly more open sound. The soundstage isn't really any bigger, but is it sharper and perhaps a little deeper. "Narrow Daylight" has a simple sweetness with a tinge of sadness, and is another of my favorite tracks on this disc. There seems to be just a little more of that "special something" in this track now. Not a big change, mind you, just a tiny bit more emotion and tension and calculated restraint that just pulls you in.

So my conclusion is that perhaps these little cones are a GREAT bargain. You're probably not going to hear a mind-blowing difference in your system. But in my system, I do hear $14 worth of improvement (perhaps even more!) so I think they are a good deal. I know they make more difference than the small DH Cones I had under the Oppo, at about 1/2 the cost. Perhaps they are not as versatile as the big Isopods I have under my amps and pre because they might not support heavier components, but the Isopods are no longer available, and were $90 for a set of 3...

And because of the way they are made (hollow and thin ceramic) you might not want to put these cones under a Plinius or Krell or Pass amp, or ANY ML speakers, as they might not be able to handle the weight. But for CD/DVD players, preamps, processors, and the like, I would recommend these to all you budget-minded tweakers without reservation. And for you deep-pocketed tweakers out there, I'd suggest grabbing a few sets too, because you can use them to **** off your other cost-is-no-object buddies when you tell them they were 1/10th the cost of a set of large DH cones, or 1/20th the cost of the Goldmund Reference cones.

Anyway, Pic #1 is a close-up of one of the cones, held in my hand for scale. You can see into the top of the cone, to see how they are made.

Pic #2 is a set of 3 cones, with their packing box, and a Zippo lighter for scale.

Pic #3 is the cones under my Oppo.

--Richard

Attachments

• Cone_001.jpg
    Cone_001.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 772
  • Cones_002.jpg
    Cones_002.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 811
  • Cones_003.jpg
    Cones_003.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 865
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Richard,

Your cones sound interesting. For me, the immediate improvement that the brass Mapleshade cones made under my gear was simply silly. As I've said on many occasions, vibration is the bane of audio. Anything one can do to isolate vibration from any component will reep rewards. The problem is that there are so many choices on the market. Sounds like you may have hit upon a jewel in the rough.

As an aside, I for one love PB. Her latest CD Mythologies was a real disappointment for me and I gave it away. Have her previous five, Cafe Blue to Live, a Fortnight and they are all, IMHO, outstanding.

I respectfully request that we all refrain from classifying any artist in some adverse, uncomplimentary way.

"Yale Soroity woman trying to do Zappa".

Really.

It serves no positive purpose and simply reinforces stereotyping. I, for one, find her to be one of the best original artists that I've ever experienced in my 35 years or so of searching out original, compelling material and being a part of this crazy, wonderful hobby.

If you don't like someones music, fine. No slams are required. Just say its not your cup of tea.

I like the DK Girl in the Other Room CD but I find it somewhat unengaging versus the PB CD's listed above.

As the french say "chacun a son gout", which means loosely translated, to each his own.

In closing, I, for one, welcome this thread and don't want to deflect the purpose of this thread. I think, based on my personal experiences, that isolation devices offer outstanding improvements with minimal investment. I hope other members share their experiences.

Best regards,

GG

Last edited:
I"m a Patricia Barber fan, and a Frank Zappa fan, and a Dianna Krall fan and a fan of isolation for your audio equipment.

I agree with both Richard and Gordon regarding the impact of isolation devices under your eqipment. If you haven't tried it yet you really should - the differences are NOT subtle.

While I use Black Diamond Racing products almost exclusively (I have also used small and large DH Ceramic cones), the price of these cones that Richard is turning us on to makes it a bargain to pick some up and try their effectiveness. Thanks for the heads up Richard!

One note - in my system, and as suggested by Black Diamond Racing - the position of the cones under your specific equipment has an effect on their sound. On my BAT preamp I have two at the front, just inboard of the large torroidal transformers, and one at the rear. On my Aesthetix phono stage they are positioned just opposite. On my Anthem CDP (transport) one directly under the transport mechanism and drawer proved the most effective. Don't be afraid to experiment. Richard, it looks like you did just that.

I agree with both Richard and Gordon regarding the impact of isolation devices under your eqipment. If you haven't tried it yet you really should - the differences are NOT subtle.

The difference made by the Isopods under my amps and preamps was decidely NOT subtle, as you say. It was a dramatic and instantly recognizable difference--tighter bass, cleaner resolution, sweeter mids. But the difference with these RA cones under the Oppo was much more subtle. Not a dramatic difference, just a little more "something" to the music...

One note - in my system, and as suggested by Black Diamond Racing - the position of the cones under your specific equipment has an effect on their sound.

I agree whole-heartedly--positioning of cones can make a LOT of difference, and it takes a fair amount of experimentation to get it dialed in. I use the location method recommended by the folks who make DH cones to start from, which based on finding the center of gravity of the component, then scribing a circle on that point and placing the cones around that circle's perimeter, with one under the most vibration-creating part of the component (transport/power supply, output stage, etc) and even spacing the other two. Then, from there, I will move them around the circle until it sounds best.

Most of my gear is really flat on the bottom--Carver, Sony, home-brew gear--but the Oppo is a bit of a challenge, because the bottom is made of a piece of stamped steel, and it's got all sorts of weird little recesses in it, which makes cone placement a little tricky.

Anyway, placement is indeed crucial with isolation devices. It can take a LOT of tweaking if you aren't lucky enough to get it right the first time by guessing and geometric calulations.

When I had a Meridian 208 CD player/Preamp, it took about a week of twiddling to get it dialed in, but once I found the right spots the sound actually SNAPPED into an astounding level of focus and resolution. When you get it really right, it can be a beautiful thing indeed...

(BTW, all these nice sharp pics I've been posting lately are the result of another new toy [although admittedly not directly audio-related], which is my new Sony Alpha a-100 DSLR. AWESOME digital camera, and since I've been a Minolta guy since college, it is VERY familair and easy to use. The Alpha is about half the price of a Nikon or Canon with similar resolution (10.1 megapixels), and it is lens-compatible with all the older Minolta Maxxum series gear, so you can get great-quality lenses REALLY cheap if you don't mind buying used.)

--Richard

Last edited:
Back