Replacing Stator versus panel alone

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adri

Reaction score
Hi,

My ML Quests are starting to sound a little less then I am used to. I have quite a significant roll-off at high frequencies above 8000 Hz.
My dealer suggests replacing the complete stator assembly instead of just replacing the panel foil.
Is there any advantage in replacing the complete stator and panel instead of replacing the panel only?
Do stators ever fail due to old age?

Adri.

Last I heard, the only way to update the ESL driver is to replace the entire panel assembly, including the stators.

The reason for this is that the bonding of the Mylar to the spars and the stators is the 'secret sauce' that Martin Logan has been working on so hard for many years. This is not something one can do in the field.

Also, the weakening bonds of glue and other clamping forces on the Mylar is why we tend to need to replace panels after a dozen years or so.
It's the lose Mylar, or in some cases dirty Mylar (smoke and dust deposits bonded onto the surface that increase the mass) that leads to lowered outputs or buzzing that drives us to perform updates.

Bottom line: you need to get an official panel update from the factory. This is a fully assembled set of stators, spars and specially coated Mylar.
It’s simple to update these speakers, almost as simple as replacing a tweeter on some box speakers, just bigger :D

Back