Replacement for Prodigies

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liffy99

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I love my Prodigies but as I can only sit about 2.5m away from them at best I don't think it's far enough to get the bottom end to blend with the panels as best as they can. So what to replace them with here in the UK ? Summits are too expensive over here, would Vantages be a real step down ? Also considering Quad 2805s, Maggies (I used to have a pair of 2.5Rs but they needed even more space), Newform Research ribbon hybrids, Podium 1s (huge panels that I would not be able to move around much. Love panels but stuck for space !
Room size is 20x13x8, amp (moving to bi-amp if necessary) is Lyngdorf 2200 (370W / 4 ohms).
Any suggestions ?

Dollars aside, Summits are the obvious choice. I have my Summits positioned exactly 3.1 metres from my listening position with the speakers 2.5 metres apart and 1 metre from the rear wall. Your proposed 2.5 metre listening position is ideal for Summits in small to mid sized listening rooms like mine (6 metres x 5.5 metres). If you buy the Summits you may need to bring them a little closer toegther - say 2.2 metres for best results.

Re the Prodigy - this is an outstanding speaker and is possibly better suited for bigger rooms. The Summits with it's active bass controls is a little easier to tune for average sized rooms. I like the Vantages but I would be concerned that you might be stepping down too much from the Prodigy. But others may disagree... :think:

P.S. Maybe someone has an idea where you could introduce some room tuning techniques rather than trade your Prodigy's. I reckon the best option is to keep them. Nearly every other option except the Summits. is a step backwards. While the Maggies are okay, you just can't compare even the MG 3.6R's with Prodigy's. Plus the 3.6R's have listening distance and room size compatability issues themselves - you could be going from one conumdrum to another...

Last edited:
Back