Replace or Re-panel Script i

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDH55

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Since I've upgraded the front side of my ML system (ESL 15, Illusion), I'm wondering about the rear side which is currently running Script i speakers. As far as I know there are no issues, other than they were installed in 2006 so the panels are starting to age. The way I see it, I could re-panel my Script's, or replace them with a new pair of ML EFX. I checked with ML and Script i panels are $995, so it would seem like a bargain to just re-panel my existing Script i's. Other than the woofers, I would have 'new' speakers, and they would already be installed. Since the specs are 'essentially' the same between these models, is there a reason why I should consider replacing my existing Script i's with the EFX... as opposed to just re-paneling them?

2006 is not that old (says the guy still running original panels on the Sequels from 1993), I replaced the panels on my Monoliths in 2006 and they perform and measure just as well as when first installed.

So unless they have been exposed to the usual contaminants (dust, smoke, excessive sunlight), they are probably fine.

So unless they have been exposed to the usual contaminants (dust, smoke, excessive sunlight), they are probably fine.
I don't think that they have been exposed to anything other than normal household dust. Probably the worst would have been when we remodeled our kitchen/breakfast nook and moved a couple walls, but all my ML's were unplugged and bagged so it shouldn't have been an issue. It just 'seems' that since all my front channels are essentially new, it might make sense to bring my rears up to more current standards.

Someone (no name in the email) at ML chimed in on the thread I had going with Ron in service as I had mentioned possibly replacing my Script i's with the current EFX. I had pointed out that at least looking at specs on both models, they were nearly identical. They confirmed how close the two speakers were although pointed out that the EFX had a 2" taller panel which would give me 'a 2" taller sweet spot'. While I'm not sure that I could notice that in a rear channel speaker, they also made the following comment:

'I think the primary benefit of going with EFX will be the cosmetic design, as well as brand new components (crossover board, woofer, etc) combined with a fresh 5 year warranty. Even though we can rebuild panels for legacy speakers, over time, other replacement parts for older models do become increasingly difficult or impossible to acquire.'

While the 'cosmetic design' wouldn't make me change speakers, I suppose other parts failing should be considered. That said, I would love to know how many forum members actually retired speakers because they had let's say, a 'crossover failure'? Since there isn't much other than a panel, a crossover and a woofer in these (and I guess a low voltage power supply), it just seems like this would be a remote event...

Well, I decided to go ahead and just ordered a set of replacement panels. It seems like a relatively small price to pay to have new panels front, center, and now... rear. Couldn't really justify spending 3.5X the replacement panel cost for a new pair of new EFX, plus having to pay the Governor, and mount them...

Well, I decided to go ahead and just ordered a set of replacement panels. It seems like a relatively small price to pay to have new panels front, center, and now... rear. Couldn't really justify spending 3.5X the replacement panel cost for a new pair of new EFX, plus having to pay the Governor, and mount them...
Good choice! Although you probably didn’t need to replace them yet...

BTW, when I use to run two sets of Script i’s for surrounds I mounted them upside down...just sayin’..

Attachments

• 64A5DD8F-DDF0-46E5-BB22-B3E6C63F73D9.jpeg
    64A5DD8F-DDF0-46E5-BB22-B3E6C63F73D9.jpeg
    883 KB · Views: 42
How's this for service... ML acknowledged my order this morning so I put a note on my calendar four months down the road to check with them if I had not heard anything. A few hours later, I hear from Ron who tells me that they built a pair of Script i panels last week for someone else who decided they didn't want them, and he just needed my CC info to go ahead and ship them! The other amazing thing was shipping was a whopping $8.83!!!

How's this for service... ML acknowledged my order this morning so I put a note on my calendar four months down the road to check with them if I had not heard anything. A few hours later, I hear from Ron who tells me that they built a pair of Script i panels last week for someone else who decided they didn't want them, and he just needed my CC info to go ahead and ship them! The other amazing thing was shipping was a whopping $8.83!!!
Wow, did you get lucky!! I had to wait about 4 months or longer for my panels. Congrats.

What do members do with their old panels? Seems hard to believe that my 15 yo Script i panels just have to end up in a landfill. Any ideas?

Latest posts

Back