Renaissance ESL-15A full range or with Balanced Force 210 subs?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

shellnut48

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
I’m just about ready to set up my new speakers which I use for home theater and 2 channel music. I have a pair of BalancedForce 210 subs paired with the 15-A left and right speakers. Your thoughts on playing the speakers full range or with a crossover? I’ll run the PBK and ARC, but what’s your philosophy? The 15’s go down to 22 and the subs to 20. The woofers in the 15’s are 12” and 10” in the subs. I’m inclined to use a crossover, perhaps not 80 though.
I also have an Illusion center speaker, but I add that only for background information.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Steve

codesx100

Reaction score
I think you be best trying both ways and seeing what sounds better for you. In my experience I've always found running sub(s) with a crossover sounded better. Personally, I like go by the speaker specs say add +10 hz to the bottom end to crossover with a sub. There comes a point where you will have to deal with roll-off finding that exact hertz range will be where you would want the crossover to be. Right now I am currently running montis+focus center with a crossover of 40hz for the montis and 60hz on the focus. For the 15As if you can do either 30 or 40hz, or if you can dial it to the exact frequency which may take some time you will get an overall better sound. Good Luck!

shellnut48

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
I think you be best trying both ways and seeing what sounds better for you. In my experience I've always found running sub(s) with a crossover sounded better. Personally, I like go by the speaker specs say add +10 hz to the bottom end to crossover with a sub. There comes a point where you will have to deal with roll-off finding that exact hertz range will be where you would want the crossover to be. Right now I am currently running montis+focus center with a crossover of 40hz for the montis and 60hz on the focus. For the 15As if you can do either 30 or 40hz, or if you can dial it to the exact frequency which may take some time you will get an overall better sound. Good Luck!
Thanks for your advice. I won't know until I've tried a few scenarios. I like your idea of adding +10 hZ to the bottom range and I do think it will sound better with a crossover. The center's crossover will naturally be higher as it plays down to 45 hZ. And the (8) Sistine ceiling speakers play to 65 hZ. I've been waiting for a long time to get the system up and running as I have moved all components into (2) A/V rack cabinets and the wiring/cabling/electrical/ethernet has taken quite a while to complete. Thankfully I have wonderful help with the installation.

codesx100

Reaction score
That sounds like one awesome system you got set up there! Let us know your findings. Not sure the equipment you have on the racks but i'd recommend sticking to/around 40hz on the L/R, 60hz on the Center and 80hz on the sistines

msimanyi

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
That's going to be a fantastic combo!

If it were me, after running ARC I'd definitely test MLs custom filters for the BF210s, paired with your 15As: MartinLogan | Custom Filters & Firmware Updates. Do you have the Perfect Bass Kit (PBK)?

I don't have 15As, but it seems like their bass controls should let you customize response to your own taste after applying the BF210 filter.

shellnut48

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
That's going to be a fantastic combo!

If it were me, after running ARC I'd definitely test MLs custom filters for the BF210s, paired with your 15As: MartinLogan | Custom Filters & Firmware Updates. Do you have the Perfect Bass Kit (PBK)?

I don't have 15As, but it seems like their bass controls should let you customize response to your own taste after applying the BF210 filter.
Thanks for your help. I have both the PBK and ARC and I’ve downloaded the file to a thumb drive. I just need the power to be checked out and turned on and away we go.
My other components: Anthem AVM 60, Anthem MCA 525, Anthem MCA 325 gen. 2, (3) PS Audio BHK 300 monoblocks, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, PS Audio SACD/CD transport, PS Audio BHK preamplifier, PS Audio P-20 and P-12 power regenerators, Equi=Core 2400 power conditioner, Reavon UBX-200 universal disc player, Rega Planar 10 turntable, Rega Aura phono stage, Bluesound Vault 2i and PowerNode 2i, 8Switch, ENO “kit” both for streaming, GIK acoustic panels, Sony 85” Z9J. I just started tinkering with streaming so only time and sound quality will determine if I upgrade those components.