Removing nextel?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raphant69

Reaction score
Hello everybody

I'm a new user of this forum while i've been looking at the MLclub for two years now (which i think is really the best place for ML knowledge).
I have a pair of sequel II's and i enjoy to listen to these beauties but the finishing of the box that is called "Nextel" has become sticky and very hard to clean because dust sticks on it.
So i simply plan to remove it (after having removed stators, woofers and electronics, of course) and make a brand new finishing, like a black gloss piano finish, for example.
Has anyone tried this before?
Please tell me if somebody knows what is the best way to remove nextel.

Be careful using any kind of solvent. I remember reading in one of the audiophile rags a few years ago that Nextel is no longer used because it is quite toxic. It did a very good job of damping resonances, but was found to be somewhat dangerous in consumer products. Possibly you should consult ML direstly.

I USED RUBBING ALCOHOL TO SMOOTH THEM OUT AND ARMOR ALL WIPES TO POLLISH THEM :rolleyes:

Nextel Removal

Guys,

I would like to hear how solved the nextel removal problem safely and effectively.

Kind Regards,

Sequel II

Would power washing the cabinets work? I have the original Sequel's and they have become really sticky, too. If I removed the stators, electronics and speaker, that might be an option.

Removing Nextel

I would have them Media blasted. With walnut shells or plastic media. That's how we do all of our fine blasting. Good Luck!

nextel

Media blasting is a media that is blasted with high air pressure. There is a tank of media when air is applied it is forced through a nozzle. It is used for bridge paint work, classic car paint & undercoat removal, rust, etc....How aggresive it is depends on the media that is used and how close you have the nozzle to the part. Similar to power washing. The closer you are the more aggresive the washing becomes. Make sense?

jtwrace said:
Media blasting is a media that is blasted with high air pressure. There is a tank of media when air is applied it is forced through a nozzle. It is used for bridge paint work, classic car paint & undercoat removal, rust, etc....How aggresive it is depends on the media that is used and how close you have the nozzle to the part. Similar to power washing. The closer you are the more aggresive the washing becomes. Make sense?
In this case I'd recommend walnut shells, but the Nextel coating is so sticky that I'd be concerned about the media clogging on the surface. Needless to say I've got the same problem, but I haven't thought too much on what to do about it. Another concern with blasting or powerwashing is that the MDF the cabinets are made of could be easily damaged. Like C.A.P. added, I'm doing the rubbing alchohol and protectant trick. Long term though the Nextel is coming off, no matter what. I'll probably use aircraft stripper and be very careful about managing the waste that results. As for what finish I'll be putting on, I'm not too sure yet.

Nextel

I would not use Aircraft Stripper on anything but metal. Beware and Becareful! I have many years of use with it. As far as blasting I also know it very well and like any process you still need to know what you are doing. Any competent professional blaster should be able to do it.

peteys said:
What is media blasting? I've never heard of it.

I think of media blasting as a milder form of sand blasting. The media (walnut shells or plastic) is softer than the sand, so it is not as abrasive to the surface being cleaned.

Peter

Nextel - Curse of the Sequel II

Welcome to the Curse of the Sequel II, guys. I had thought it happens only in the balmy Singapore weather. What I did with mine was to carefully scrape most of the stuff off. Then use rubbing alchohol to give it a nice rub to clean off the residue. You'll end up with a beautifully smooth surface ready for priming and a fresh coat of whatever paint you fancy. I find this removal process easy and not messy at all. Suggest wear a mask though, plus a well ventilated place, or you may end up rather drunk. :D
If you simply do nothing about the sticky situation, what will happen is that the sticky coat will dry and harden up in time and then turn powdery. It will then look as if it has contracted leprosy! :eek:
Ben

Last edited:
Peteys,
Any cheap metal scraper will do, like those that painters use to prepare walls for painting or a putty knife.
Ben

Back