Refurb / B-stock - why not?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sakhavi

Hi gang - does anyone have a strong opinion about purchasing factory-refurbished or B-stock equipment? If the warranty is the same as in a regular purchase, and the price is 50% off or more (I'm looking at Denon universal DVD players at this point, but the question applies in general), is there any practical reason not to prefer the cheaper option?

None what so ever, Esp. with Denons relability and quality

Denon makes some of the best DVD players on the market, however if you spend a day reading post's at AVSforum.com and reviews at Audioreview.com you will notice about 30% of Denons plays develop some problem and/or shut down after a year to two years. I am not trying to stop you from getting a Denon, I am just trying to make you aware.

I was very close to selling my Pioneer DV-59avi to get the Denon DVD-3910, if we weren’t so close to Hi-Def DVD coming out I would get the DVD-5910, but I cant justify spending $3000.00 on a player this late In the game. If I were going to get a Denon player, I would definitely get the extended warranty to make sure if something were going to happen I would be covered.

My 2Cents :D

I say go for it if it is under full warrenty. Check to see if it is a authorized Denon dealer first.

EricE said:
I say go for it if it is under full warrenty. Check to see if it is a authorized Denon dealer first.

YES! Make sure its an authorized dealer, for sure.

Which player is it?

I have a Denon DVM-3700 that I bought as "B-stock" from an eBay seller. It's been a very reliable unit. I have bought many things that are "b-stock" and have had excellent luck except with one NAD tuner. In fact, from a high-volume (compared to high-end producers) company like Denon, you are usually better off in that you know that your specific unit has been fully tested, as this is standard procedure for a refurb unit. With first run units, they usually just pull a few off of the line from time to time for quality control. I would go for it.

BTW, I've really liked the quality of my Denon, both as a DVD player and as a CD-transport. I recently bought a Theta David which betters my Denon significantly, but retail on the David was $4500 and retail on the Denon was "only" $1200. (Of course, I got the Theta used on eBay for $700 and paid only $300 for the Denon refurbed on eBay, too!

Good luck!

Thanks, all. I currently have my sights on the Denon DVD-3910, which is $1499 on Crutchfield.com, $899 on Dakmart.com with a 1-year warranty and $729 on MacMall with a 90-day warranty. I guess the remaining question is whether 9 months of additional warranty are worth $170. Ah, audiophilia on the cheap...

sakhavi said:
Thanks, all. I currently have my sights on the Denon DVD-3910, which is $1499 on Crutchfield.com, $899 on Dakmart.com with a 1-year warranty and $729 on MacMall with a 90-day warranty. I guess the remaining question is whether 9 months of additional warranty are worth $170. Ah, audiophilia on the cheap...

Crutchfield.com is a grate company to do business with; they have grate people to deal with.

“I guess the remaining question is whether 9 months of additional warranty are worth $170?”

9 months for $170, are you joking? I guess they really stand by the quality of their refurbished payers.

sakhavi said:

$1499 is "B" stock from Crutchfield? Sounds like new MSRP.

Brand new from Audiogon - $1000, and on EBay - $930. Not sure if authorized dealers or not and if warranty is good with buying from them. Neither are B stock. There are B stocks on Ebay from autorized dealers.

Dan

Back