Reduced Output on One Speaker

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tour50

Reaction score
I have a problem with a previously enjoyed set of ML ESL's I purchased a little while ago. When I first noticed reduced output from one of my speakers I got on Google and noticed some posts about reduced output from the ESL panels and the steps you could follow to correct that. In fact, when I contacted ML service the instructions they sent me focused solely on the ESL panel. After following those instructions with no results I broke out REW and my calibrated mic. To my surprise it was one woofer that was 6db lower at 200hz. As you can see in the attached sweep below I do indeed have a woofer issue. Now I'm left with determining all the potential causes of this issue and then see if it's within my skillset to correct it. If you have an idea for a possible cause of this issue your opinion is welcome.

Regards,
Dan
500Test.jpg

Is that the Classic ESL 9 or the ElectroMotion ESL?
If the former, check all the binding posts for tightness.
If the latter, then it's gotta be something inside if the woofer isn't blown.

ElectroMotion ESL

Thanks for the suggestion. I've already had the bottom off to check the connections on the binding posts. I'm going to pull the woofer now to look for interference from cabinet dampening material or loose connections.

Regards,
Dan

I pulled the suspect woofer today. No loose connections, nothing burnt inside or looking suspicious. I'm waiting to hear back from ML. If they want $1k for a replacement woofer then I'm not going to put in the effort. I'll just have to live with it or look at one of the speaker repair houses.

Regards,
Dan :)

Not sure. They'll ask for serial numbers if that's the case. Anyone have a guess at what a replacement woofer would cost?

Regards,
Dan

Not all that much. The panels are very expensive but the woofers are not much at all. I think you will have a new woofer installed in the next two weeks and be back to normal. Gotta love good customer service. It always makes a big difference to me.(y)

Interesting business strategy. If the cost of replacement parts exceeds resale value on the second hand market you kill off a portion of the second hand market. That may benefit overall sales of new models but sales of replacement parts may suffer. It all depends on which has better margins. If new products have far higher margins than parts then this makes sense. Kind of a catch-22?

Regards,
Dan

I had a similar thing happen with my Source speakers. I purchased them as display and always wondering if one speaker was louder than the other. Over time it got worse and the cable connector on the panel became loose so I sent the panels back to ML. When they fixed the cable they also tested the panels and sure enough there was a 3-6 db (can’t remember exact) difference between the panels. Cost of replacing the both panels was close to buying new ESLs. Ending up buying 11As. 😎

If I can’t get my Electromotion ESLs working properly their resale value will suffer a lot. This will make my purchase of 11A’s a lot more painful.

Regards,
Dan

I’ve had the same (similar) problem for years now with my Spires.
When I called they didn’t offer me much more suggestions other than vacuum the panels, etc.
Now I wonder what the cause may be?
I never checked measurements with REW, wonder if I should try that? I’m pretty positive my issue is panel related regardless (one panel is louder and also more clear vs. the other).
I currently rectify it by just bumping up the balance to raise the lower volume panel to equal level with a meter.
I wonder if it’s a connection issue, I think I recall reading somewhere on this forum about how to resecure the wires connecting to the panel (maybe on a thread on how to replace the panel yourself?)
Any thoughts ?

After some very careful measurements with REW and a UMIK-1 mic I've discovered that my output issues are room placement related. Without measurements it's easy to get off track because room position 'appears' to be equal. I placed the left and right speakers in position 'A' and got identical results. I then place the left and right speakers in position 'B' and got identical results. If one of the speakers was defective in any way the measurement of two different speakers in the same physical position would've varied.

Regards,
Dan

Back