Recommended Amp for ML Clarity

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvj

Reaction score
The power supply in one of my 25 year old powered Revox Agora B speakers finally bit the dust after a power surge (Bad storm yesterday here in the PNW). Instead of trying to have it repaired (again) I am ready to bite the bullet and upgrade my system. My total budget is approx. $4,000.

I have more or less settled on a pair of ML Clarity speakers but I need a recommendation on a power amp that will work smoothly with these speakers. Pricing around $1000. to keep within my budget, so this rules out anything in the high audiophile range.

Another option would be to purchase the less expensive ML Mosaic speakers, which would leave about $2,000 for the amp. But I really enjoy the sound of the Claritys which I have listened to extensively (My son has a pair of these great speakers).

The sound I am looking for is mellow - not to aggressive on the treble side - but overall balanced. Most of my listening is classical with a mix of symphonic, opera and small recitals - i.e. piano, cello etc.

Any thoughts/recommendations would be most appreciated before I go into listening mode at our local audio shops....

Thanks

cvj

Last edited:
cvj, You stated $4000 as budget or was that $1000 for the amp ?? If it's the later maybe you could squeeze a couple of hundred more and look for a nice used Rotel RB-1090, I think it will provide you with the traits your looking for. If I could find a killer deal on a Pass Labs 250.5 I would sell you mine !!

Rotel RB1080 works very good with ML. 200 wpc at 8 ohms and 300 at 4 ohms gives you all the power you would normally need. Amp sells new for $1,000 but you can get it used for around 7 to 800. BTW, do not compromise on the speaker. The Clarity is noticabley better than the Mosaic and worth the extra money.

Power Amplifier for under $1,000.00...

cvj said:
The power supply in one of my 25 year old powered Revox Agora B speakers finally bit the dust after a power surge (Bad storm yesterday here in the PNW). Instead of trying to have it repaired (again) I am ready to bite the bullet and upgrade my system. My total budget is approx. $4,000.

I have more or less settled on a pair of ML Clarity speakers but I need a recommendation on a power amp that will work smoothly with these speakers. Pricing around $1000. to keep within my budget, so this rules out anything in the high audiophile range.

Another option would be to purchase the less expensive ML Mosaic speakers, which would leave about $2,000 for the amp. But I really enjoy the sound of the Claritys which I have listened to extensively (My son has a pair of these great speakers).

The sound I am looking for is mellow - not to aggressive on the treble side - but overall balanced. Most of my listening is classical with a mix of symphonic, opera and small recitals - i.e. piano, cello etc.

Any thoughts/recommendations would be most appreciated before I go into listening mode at our local audio shops....

Thanks

cvj
cvj,

Welcome to the ML Club!
IMHO, if you could audition a Be cano Evo 200.2 or a Pass 250.5 or a Rotel RB 1080 with your Clarity's, in your own home environment would be the best option. Then just "Trust your ears".
Good Luck on your audio quest. :D

It is good to have you here. :D

First Impressions. Clarity plus Rotel 1080

Based on the recommendations of the forum, I am now enjoying my new Clarity speakers powered by the Rotel 1080.

First impression: Incredible soundstage, transparency and effortless handling of the most demanding recordings...I (as well as my wife/son) am very, very pleased with this investment...and I think it was perhaps fortunate that the recent storm/power surge damaged one of my 25 year old Revox Agora B speakers, giving me the motivation to find a replacement for both speakers and amps (the Revox speakers were powered - tri-amped!!!).

And as the sound of the Martin Logans should get even better as they "wear in" over the next 30-40 hours... further delights await as I explore my 800+ CDs and 4000 Vinyl recordings... ("so little time...so much music")

Now back to the newly christened "Martin Logan Recital Hall" with a suitable libation in hand to celebrate :)

Back