receiver/surround sound

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar1

Reaction score
how many of u use a surround sound receiver using the pre-outs for a larger power amp for the left and right channels? i recently went to this setup using an integra dt40.3 surround receiver with a prima luna power amp for the L/R channels (summits)! surprisingly it sounds pretty good and now i’m able to play my multi channel sacd’s and use the surround feature for my movies and music. So to speak i’m using just the preamp section and all its features! before this i was using a hi-end line stage and using the integra for the center and surrounds.

ML speakers (the masterpiece series I"m talking no experience with the Electromotions) can be a challenge for a receiver to drive . Not saying a receiver can't drive them (I did with a PIoneer Elite SC-05) its just not going the best amp for a ML speaker in my opinion - definitely do so if you have the space and money. If you can do the preout on the L &R and feed them with something more substantial it will help a lot - in my case a Parasound A31 first then more lately a Mark Levinson 433. Also while you are at it you may also want to try it out on the center channel. That way the receiver is just for the surrounds only.

I did this for awhile.. had a Denon AVR4800 which shut down when driving my reQuests at higher volume levels.. Bought a separate 2 channel amp and used the pre-outs on the Denon to connect the amp to drive the reQuests.. Worked great.. Then went to separates later down the road.

^^^
Somewhat similar -- My cobbled-together system (current, soon to change) -- Yamaha MX2000 mains L&R (Summits), Yamaha MX1000 Surrounds L&R (Aeon (i), Yamaha DSP-AZ1 for Center (Stage), and ARCAM P1s for rears (Allison 4s). How's that for a new level of bizarreness?

Edited: McIntosh MX160 for AV Processor. Went to above configuration after ARCAM 7-Channel went "Tango-Uniform".

Last edited:
While my main HT is pre-amp based, the secondary system has a receiver, a Denon X3600H, which is a surprisingly good performer that has pre-outs. I don't need more power right now for the Elac UniFi speakers, as the room is small, but I would not hesitate to use the pre-outs to drive a powerful 3-Channel amp if I move that system to a larger space.

I had for years mine driven by an AVR latest Arcam AVR850, but last year I got a P429 which I bridged and uses for the fronts for the time being. I might use it for the center and hights and return to bi-amp the fronts from the AVR. Both to me give the same sonic results in my ears, just the power level is different meaning more power for HiFi with my present setup.

I had a Denon 1400h, sound was OK.. but not great. Upgraded that to a Denon X3600H, much improved, still not great. Added my older (better) Denon something CI... for a gimmicky way to amp L/R. Pretty significant difference, and an improvement. Added 3 Wyrd4Sound SX-1000 amps L/C/R ... wow. Not even close to the same system anymore, and my journey stops there. Little ElectroMotion ESL and ESL C. (I cannot afford this hobby.. but I'm certainly going to pretend I can!). The 3600H has the ability to switch the 2 main L/R pre-outs so they are pure direct (physical disconnect from amps). On the next model up, and the 2020 models.. I think you can do that with all channels? (don't quote me on that)

I had a Denon 1400h, sound was OK.. but not great. Upgraded that to a Denon X3600H, much improved, still not great. Added my older (better) Denon something CI... for a gimmicky way to amp L/R. Pretty significant difference, and an improvement. Added 3 Wyrd4Sound SX-1000 amps L/C/R ... wow. Not even close to the same system anymore, and my journey stops there. Little ElectroMotion ESL and ESL C. (I cannot afford this hobby.. but I'm certainly going to pretend I can!). The 3600H has the ability to switch the 2 main L/R pre-outs so they are pure direct (physical disconnect from amps). On the next model up, and the 2020 models.. I think you can do that with all channels? (don't quote me on that)
I have a Wyred4Sound MC500 amp and before i sold my Summits, i was very pleased with how it sounded. Sadly, the Summits would go into shutdown mode after 6 minutes of playing, which was normal with their older speakers and the "signal sensing circuit" not able to "see" the class D signal from the amp. ML sent me new circuit boards that would fix the issue, but I never used them.. sold the Summits when I downsized. Overall, I'm very happy with the W4S amp driving my KEF R300s.

Latest posts

Back